Weird eye issue

Onnie.g

Okay So my chameleon is a little under a year old she's vealed every time she sheds she has an issue where her eyes get stuck together up together and I've taken her to the vet for this 2x the vet prescribed me terramycin She just shed but a month ago when she had the shed before this one her eyes got stuck together they have been stuck together now for a month I'm having to feed her by syringe and give her water by syringe because she cannot see if I can get her eye open To apply the terramycin it's just black holes I know her eyeballs are fine because I had her open one eyeball the other day and I could see the Iris it's as if she's keeping 1 of the layers in her eyes closed and that's what I'm seeing the vet said she'd never seen this before and her appointment is not for another month I'm worried she's not gonna make it you guys have any ideas please help me out so far I give her reptivite calcium with D3 And without d3 as it's supposed to be given I give her a shedding agent and A reptified supplement I gut load her crickets with fresh fruits and veggies She's in a homemade tank that's 4 and a 1/2 foot tall 2 and a 1/2 foot wide with live plants Humidity between 40 and 70 UV B bulb 5 T 75 intense heat bulb I've only seen one poop in the past month and it was not 50% White I'm continuing warm bath's daily Along with the Terramycin daily

Attachments

• 20220926_185303.jpg
    20220926_185303.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220926_185257.jpg
    20220926_185257.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 77
Welcome to the forum!

Please post some photos of the supplements so we can see the labels front and back.
Also photos of the whole cage including the lights.
What's the temperature in the basking area?

Do you have a laybin in her cage?

Her basking area is around 78 82 her humidity is between 50 and 70

Attachments

• 20221003_164050.jpg
    20221003_164050.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG954689.jpg
    IMG954689.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG954688.jpg
    IMG954688.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG954687.jpg
    IMG954687.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 68
I just moved her to this cage yesterday so I have to get way more plants tomorrow bc she was n a smaller cage that was covered n plants but there nowhere near enough now. But that will be handled tomorrow

Her basking area is around 78 82 her humidity is between 50 and 70
Welcome to the forum!

Please post some photos of the supplements so we can see the labels front and back.
Also photos of the whole cage including the lights.
What's the temperature in the basking area?

Do you have a laybin in her cage?
Hi I just responded but not sure if it was to you exactly and also I don't have a layben but do have soil

Was the vet a chameleon vet?
Did he not flush the eye?
Yeah I have the #1 Cham vet in New England and last time she did use septum to flush her eye but the problem continued for about 4 days during that time I continued to apply the terramycin but it's been a month now n my vet can't get her in till the 26th

Yeah I have the #1 Cham vet in New England and last time she did use septum to flush her eye but the problem continued for about 4 days during that time I continued to apply the terramycin but it's been a month now n my vet can't get her in till the 26th
This is what her eyes look like this morning after syringe feed and terramycin

Attachments

• 20221007_064132.jpg
    20221007_064132.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221007_064151.jpg
    20221007_064151.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 72
You said..."I'm continuing warm bath's daily Along with the Terramycin daily"...why are you giving her baths?

Can you show the lights you're using please.

You said..."I'm continuing warm bath's daily Along with the Terramycin daily"...why are you giving her baths?

Can you show the lights you're using please.
Vet told me she was dehydrated bc she can't drink own her own due to her eyes being black so she said she will soak the water thru her skin

Attachments

• 1665193350091929382042672245861.jpg
    1665193350091929382042672245861.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20221007-214427_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221007-214427_Chrome.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20221007-214400_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20221007-214400_Google.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 57
The most recommended UVB lights are the long linear tube ones ...either reptisun 5.0 or the Arcadia 6%...because they give the proper UVB needed by chameleons.
The one you show is not recommended. @Beman is great at explaining this more.

What color are her urates? White or orange or inbetween?

You said you're providing water with a syringe. Have you tried dripping it slowly (one or two drips per second) on the end of her nose?

The coil UVB bulb will not work... So you want to order a T5HO fixture with bulb. Bulb strength should be either 5.0 or 6%. Arcadia Pro T5 is a good one. Just get one that is the width of the enclosure so it can go all the way across.

The most recommended UVB lights are the long linear tube ones ...either reptisun 5.0 or the Arcadia 6%...because they give the proper UVB needed by chameleons.
The one you show is not recommended. @Beman is great at explaining this more.

What color are her urates? White or orange or inbetween?

You said you're providing water with a syringe. Have you tried dripping it slowly (one or two drips per second) on the end of her nose?
Yes I have tried the dripping slowly sometimes she will drink on her own sometimes I have to force her mouth open and give her drop by drop. I'm waiting on a fixture now for a long bulb but ebay is running SLOW. As far as urates her plants have a white film over the leaves so I'm gonna go with white. Her 💩 has been far and few apart but they are like 1/3 d white the rest blackish brown

You said..."As far as urates her plants have a white film over the leaves so I'm gonna go with white"...urates are her pee and have nothing to do with the white film on the plants...that's mineral build up on the leaves from the water as a rule.

If the urates are white, then she's hydrated. They do not absorb water through their skin.

You said..."As far as urates her plants have a white film over the leaves so I'm gonna go with white"...urates are her pee and have nothing to do with the white film on the plants...that's mineral build up on the leaves from the water as a rule.

If the urates are white, then she's hydrated. They do not absorb water through their skin.
My point being her pee goes on the plants I have no way other than that to see the color of her pee so this is what her vet said to look at to determine color

Also they absolutely do obsorb thru skin this is why they require misting and baths

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-124452_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20221009-124452_Google.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 62
The coil UVB bulb will not work... So you want to order a T5HO fixture with bulb. Bulb strength should be either 5.0 or 6%. Arcadia Pro T5 is a good one. Just get one that is the width of the enclosure so it can go all the way across.
I'm waiting on it to be shipped should I get a clamp on one until they arrive to Jang lower so it's spread thru out tank

Also they absolutely do obsorb thru skin this is why they require misting and baths
Chameleons are different than other reptiles. They do not absorb water through their skin. You really have to be careful what you google. Most of the information out there is incorrect. Just because it shows up in a search does not mean it has any validity. Chameleons drink water, they have the ability to pull moisture out of the air as well if they are breathing in cool moist air at night, and they are dry shedders so if you are putting a cham in water you can also screw up their ability to shed properly if they have a shed coming on.

My point being her pee goes on the plants I have no way other than that to see the color of her pee so this is what her vet said to look at to determine color
If the leaves of your plants are white and you are misting with tap water this is from the minerals in the tap water. Look at the bottom of the enclosure to find fecal and urate. These are two separate things but they typically excrete them at the same time. The urate should be white but sometimes it is orange if dehydrated.

I'm waiting on it to be shipped should I get a clamp on one until they arrive to Jang lower so it's spread thru out tank
I do not recommend the coil bulbs at all and having the bulbs in the cage is very dangerous. What did you order that you are waiting on? Do you have a link?

Back
Top Bottom