Weighing cham

Twells92

Established Member
So how do most people go about weighing their females if they don't want to be held at all? Will eat from my hand/body but wants nothing to do with being outside her cage. Tried sticks/branches etc with no luck. I've been trying to build a bond between us. 110% at her place, that's why I don't want to force her onto a stick or just grab her.

To get melon out of her cage I hold a super worm worm in one hand and a stick in the other. I show her the superworm and hold the stick up near her and slowly move the superworm away so that she has to climb on the stick to get the worm.

Once on the stick you can move her to the scale nearby with something for her to climb onto on the scale she will probably want to get away and will climb onto the scale. Or she may be weird like melon and climb on you then get mad that she’s on you.

Been trying this for a couple days and still no luck. As soon as I slowly pull out of her reach she looses interest. I will keep trying at her pace.

My girl, Lily, readily hand feeds and will occasionally come out on her own terms (plus or minus food bribes, lol!). When she's being a turkey and I need her out for whatever reason, i put one hand directly under her chin and chest, and use the other to essentially "tickle" her back legs until she gets fed up and climbs into my hand. The worst she has ever done is given me a half hearted huff and opened her mouth a little.

I have a little bird perch/stand on top of my gram scale, and will poke her butt again to encourage her if she doesn't go willingly (and she usually does at this point, cause I've annoyed her and she would rather not be close to me). Once we've finished the not-fun stuff, I give her a treat, bring her outside for some rays, and by then she's forgotten all about being pissed at me.

Been trying this for a couple days and still no luck. As soon as I slowly pull out of her reach she looses interest. I will keep trying at her pace.

How much do you feed her regularly? Melons always hungry so she will come for food. Can you post a pic of her enclosure? i noticed with melon when she didn’t have enough places to hide she was a lot more mean. Now she’s getting more friendly. (Melons my female veiled)

Shes always hungry. She eats at least 5 superworms, 5+ crickets, 1+ roach and I'm guessing an isopod? that I know of a day. 3-5 hornworms a week. Always have free range crickets in there. She did a complete shed in about 14 hours. First one in my possession. She said dad we hate that phone I just wanna sleep!

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_210451.jpg
    IMG_20190905_210451.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190906_203059.jpg
    IMG_20190906_203059.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20190906_203111.jpg
    IMG_20190906_203111.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20190906_203126.jpg
    IMG_20190906_203126.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190906_203130.jpg
    IMG_20190906_203130.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 37
How old is she? You may be feeding her to much. Females should get less food as they get older to reduce the amount off eggs produced. 5 superworms a day is to much. They should only be given a couple times a week.

My girl, Lily, readily hand feeds and will occasionally come out on her own terms (plus or minus food bribes, lol!). When she's being a turkey and I need her out for whatever reason, i put one hand directly under her chin and chest, and use the other to essentially "tickle" her back legs until she gets fed up and climbs into my hand. The worst she has ever done is given me a half hearted huff and opened her mouth a little.

I have a little bird perch/stand on top of my gram scale, and will poke her butt again to encourage her if she doesn't go willingly (and she usually does at this point, cause I've annoyed her and she would rather not be close to me). Once we've finished the not-fun stuff, I give her a treat, bring her outside for some rays, and by then she's forgotten all about being pissed at me.
She will occasionally puff up and lunge but she usually just flips to the other side of the vine and eyeballs me down. I would love to be able to take her outside a couple days a week when its nice. I have moveable house plants/potted trees. I've even tried setting on next to her cage but there was no way it would even think about leaving her cage. I rescued her from very very poor conditions. Now she's very protective of her home outside of the strange creature that gives the o-so loved bright blue water worms.

Shes always hungry. She eats at least 5 superworms, 5+ crickets, 1+ roach and I'm guessing an isopod? that I know of a day. 3-5 hornworms a week. Always have free range crickets in there. She did a complete shed in about 14 hours. First one in my possession. She said dad we hate that phone I just wanna sleep!

Your cage looks good but she doesn’t have a true hiding spot. I mean a spot that she can’t be seen from any angle. Like if you have a plant in the corner of a screen cage she can hide kind of in and behind the plant but is still visible through the screen if you were to go look in the back so not a true hiding spot.

I have more live & fake plants i just didnt want to add everything at once.

Once you add it make sure to have a spot that completely hidden. You can used something to cover the back outside corner of the cage and foliage inside the cage to do this. She will be more comfortable knowing there is somewhere she can retreat to and hide if she wants to.

How old is she? You may be feeding her to much. Females should get less food as they get older to reduce the amount off eggs produced. 5 superworms a day is to much. They should only be given a couple times a week.
I can't tell you. I was told she was about 2 months old when I got her a month ago. She was tiny. It doubled in size in the past couple weeks. I suspect she's older and just lived in horribad conditions barely getting fed.

I can't tell you. I was told she was about 2 months old when I got her a month ago. She was tiny. It doubled in size in the past couple weeks. I suspect she's older and just lived in horribad conditions barely getting fed.

Unfortunately this seems to happen a lot with veileds. But it’s hard to tell age from size. They start off very very tiny but go through growth spurts really fast.

Im gonna
Ya and I've read about them becoming gravid at 6mo. Hence this entire thread!

Ah. Well weighing your Cham is a good way to tell when they are producing egg once they are fully grown and at a stable weight. While there still growing you will need to watch for other signs.

Back
Top Bottom