Weekend Vacation? What to do with my Cham?!

BPCham92

Hey y'all,

So I'm leaving for a little weekend vacation Friday AM - Sunday evening. Do you think my juvenile veiled will be okay? I don't trust my neighbors, all our close friends are coming with us or live too far away, my in-laws are already taking our dogs and I don't want to give them the burden of also having to drive 30 minutes to our house to feed/mist/and turn her lights on/off (my family all live out of state). I know it seems unlikely that I have no one to come check on her, but I live in a very rural area. Also I can't leave the lights on the whole weekend, she won't be able to sleep!! Is there a lamp with a timer that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? And maybe a cheap DIY mister - this weekend costed us a lot so I have to pinch every penny I have left for actually going there lol

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I would not leave my chameleons alone especially a juvi. To many things can go wrong with these guys. I'd feel just terrible if I left my guys alone and came back and one had a prolapsed while I was gone or the tongue came out and wouldn't go back in. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Maybe you can take her to your parents or a near by vet.

Last edited:
Thanks!! I'm getting the terrarium controller at Petco now! And I live in Bradford County :) I don't have a birthday for her but she's about 4-5 inches.

Hey y'all,
So I'm leaving for a little weekend vacation Friday AM - Sunday evening. Do you think my juvenile veiled will be okay? I don't trust my neighbors, all our close friends are coming with us or live too far away, my in-laws are already taking our dogs and I don't want to give them the burden of also having to drive 30 minutes to our house to feed/mist/and turn her lights on/off (my family all live out of state).

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Too bad you didn't post sooner than less than a day before you leave.
Your cham needs to have water while you are away.
All creatures die sooner from lack of water than from lack of food.
You could have ordered an ExoTerra Monsoon Mister from Amazon or elsewhere so she would at least have water while you're away.
You can call around to see if any stores have a misting system.
There is always That Pet Place on Centerville Rd Lancaster which typically has reptile misting systems.
In the absence of a misting system, you'll need to bring your cham to your in-laws when you drop off the dogs---assuming your in-laws are not afraid of reptiles and don't mind hand misting your cham.
Anything is better than no water for 2 1/2 days.
Leaving your cham without water for a weekend is just cruel.
If you do it anyway, then at least leave her lights OFF so she will dehydrate a little less.

Thanks guys! I ended up getting a zoo med reptifogger and the light timer at Petco. Btw, she has a bio bubble water fountain that can hold up to approx. 2 cups of water (and contrary to popular belief, it should not contain bacteria of you clean it regularly and properly and you replace the filter regularly, and my Cham loves it!). I'll stock her up on crickets and a bloodworm or two!!

Thanks guys! I ended up getting a zoo med reptifogger and the light timer at Petco. Btw, she has a bio bubble water fountain that can hold up to approx. 2 cups of water (and contrary to popular belief, it should not contain bacteria of you clean it regularly and properly and you replace the filter regularly, and my Cham loves it!). I'll stock her up on crickets and a bloodworm or two!!

Glad she will have some water.
Don't forget to put some food in the enclosure for the feeders, or they will chew on your cham as she sleeps.

Glad she will have some water.
Don't forget to put some food in the enclosure for the feeders, or they will chew on your cham as she sleeps.

I do that anyways :) but I don't free range the crickets unless she's being supervised. And I'm only going to say this because I don't want you guys to think I'm a hopeless newbie - the only reason I'm posting this the day before I leave is because this trip is a surprise for my birthday. She is very much a well taken care of Cham!

And I'm only going to say this because I don't want you guys to think I'm a hopeless newbie - the only reason I'm posting this the day before I leave is because this trip is a surprise for my birthday. She is very much a well taken care of Cham!

Ok, then all is forgiven ;)

Hope your surprise birthday trip is great!

Glad you got things squared away for your cham, so she will be OK while you're away.

Ok, then all is forgiven ;)

Hope your surprise birthday trip is great!

Glad you got things squared away for your cham, so she will be OK while you're away.

Thank you! And thanks for your concern. I love this site! It's pretty much where I got most of my research before owning her. She's a good little girl. I'm actually in the process of building her new bigger enclosure. I will keep you guys posted :) :) :)

Just wanted to let you guys know that she did awesome this weekend! Kinda seemed like she liked the alone time lol

Glad to hear everything turned out alright for her! Just throwing it out there for future reference, I have purchased quantities of blue bottle fly pupae from Mantis Place (site sponsor) and since they come out as flies over the course of a couple days it's almost like a trickle feeder for 2-4 days or so. I just keep the bag in the fridge the few days before leaving then tied the little bag to a vine that my mister doesn't hit with the top open so they can just crawl out as they hatch. As a result, I learned that Merlin LOOOOOOOVES to chase flies around his enclosure! His colors have never been so vibrant as when I bring flies in for him.
Make it a great day,

Back
Top Bottom