Weak female Jackson's

CoolCham

Hello, I am a bit worried about my female Jackson's. we've had her for about 5 months now, and she used to eat great. Then, she started hardly eating at all and about 2 1/2 months ago she gave birth. After she gave birth she was super skinny, but still didn't eat great. She now eats off and on, usually about 4 crickets. We also dust with calcium no d3 about every 2 feedings. Compared to our male (who eats wonderfully), she is tiny. Thanks,

Oh yeah, and when she basks, she turns dark green and tilts almost flat. Is this normal? She also sleeps a lot ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374693724.288551.jpg

She will eat soon I hope. A lot of chameleons sometimes like to be Stubborn and not eat for a while. Some chameleons don't eat for a couple of weeks

The look of her, and your briefly mentioned supplement schedule has me worried.

Please fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

alright
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Jacksons chameleon, not sure how old (old enough to give brith) and we've had her for about 5 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? never
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Feeding medium-large crickets, occasionally buy blue bottle flies. We feed them every day, as much as she will take (sometimes 2, sometimes up to around 6). gut-loading with flukers orange cube.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Flukers brand calcium with no d3 every couple of days, zoo med calcium +d3 about once a month.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist?Do you see your chameleon drinking? We built a sprayer that sprays for about 2 minutes, 4 times a day. I also mist occasionally. I have seen her drink.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? brownish black mostly hard droppings. I have seen an orangeish watery :confused: type dropping, not sure what it was. Never tested for parasites (not much of an option either :/
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.bought her online from lllreptiles as a sub-adult, she came gravid and gave birth 2 1/2 months ago to 13 babies.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2' by 2' by 4' aluminum screen cage
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? not sure what brand UVB 5.0 tube and a regular bulb for heat (only when cold) on for 12 hours a day
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? about 75ish cold end, 80-85 hot end, doesnt drop much at night. I use a temp gun.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? around 50% then about 70% when I mist
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? giant pothos, small money tree
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In our bedroom, very low traffic area. It is sitting 4" above our floor.
Location - Where are you geographically located? In Michigan

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. She is a very picky eater, and I dont think its from giving birth. She stopped eating before giving birth, then started again but now goes on and off. She absolutly loves flies, but needs to see the crickets moving in order to go for them. She is also quite small and weak looking, but I dont think she has MBD because she can climb fine and holds on to things well. Any help on what supplements (vitamins?) and what brands to use would be very helpful, and a good schedule. I know jacksons cant tolerate a lot of d3. Side note: She did get a very minor burn on the top of her, and we changed the heat and are treating it. Ug, it sound like so much is wrong, our male is in almost the exact same setup and he is a huge, healthy beast. :eek:
recent pictures: The last one is of her before she gave birth

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    8 KB · Views: 155
  • download (3).jpg
    download (3).jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 99
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 122
  • download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 112
  • download (4).jpg
    download (4).jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 144
Do you know how much she weighs? I would weigh her weekly and see if she is staying at current weight, gaining weight or losing. If she's gaining weight or staying around the same weight, whatever she is eating now may be all she wants. She is likely over a year old at this point.

Besides crickets and flies, what else do you feed? I am in Michigan also (Macomb county) and if you are interested, I would be happy to send you some free dubia if you paid shipping to see if she would go for them. Or pick-up if you happened to be close!

My females Jacksons is right around 50g now, I got her about 6 months ago and she was 32g. She was already gravid when I got her. She also gave birth about 2 and a half months ago (very small clutch, likely because she was so small).

She can knock out a good 5-6 dubia every day. I think she is gravid again (retained as she wants NOTHING to do with my male and has a dimple belly).

She could just be bored with her current feeders. Have you tried taking her outside? The weather has been nice her recently.

Back
Top Bottom