WE NEED SOME ADVISE ASAP!!!!!!

AshleyTar2001

First I want to start off by saying what a great site to have found, secondly I wish that I would have found this site under different circumstances. My name is Ashley, i'm the owner, and I have adopted a viled, translate, female chameleon named Raffy. She is still very small and I don't know what her age is but it seems to be younger than 6 months, I purchased her at a PetCo in North Carolina and she was a beautiful, healthy, moving around, feisty, and happy chameleon. While we have had her 2 weeks today but i was cleaning her tank on 10/27/20 and seen worms in her poop!!! I freaked out and called our local vet which sees reptiles and we got an appointment the next morning, 10/28/20, and after a long 45 minute wait the vet cleared her said that they were not intestinal worms but they were fly larva and said that i had a very healthy chameleon. I brought her home put her in her cage she seemed healthy and happy and then I went to work about an 8 hour shift, my parents were home in and out of the room checking on her and everything was normal. The next day, 10/29/20, I went to go check on her and she is hanging up sidedown in her cage which i thought was odd but didn't question it, she ate two medium sized super worms and when she started climbing I noticed it was weird, she acted like she couldn't get her legs to latch on to the vine. I thought she was stressed from the vet visit so I helped her climb to the top of her cage and decided to leave her alone for a while, thinking i was gonna do more harm than good if I continued to bother her. I had checked on her a few times and she was in the same spot, I thought ah she is basking; boy was I wrong, about 10:30 that night my parents started yelling for me to come look at her and she is laying flat on the bottom of her enclosure, I went into full panic mode, I picked her up while she was in my hand she could not stand up! So I put her in her little carry on thinking she was extremely cold and checked on her all throughout the night she was still the same. About 6 am on 10/30/20 she looked really good, she was her normal green, when i reached in to touch her she puffed up and moved away but she still wasn't standing. About 10 am, I had to work, I came home and she looked good but she wasn't standing, I picked her up and placed her back down and its like her legs have no strength to hold her up. Instantly I was on the way back to the vet and they rushed her back, they kept her from 10 am to 5 pm heating her up they stated her temp was way to low, her cage was to large, give me some reading material, sent me on my way; she looked good but still wasn't moving. So the vet recommended throwing some vines and things into a rectangle aquarium so that she would be closer to her lights. While today when I got up, checked on her, she was still the same laying there but sometimes she would be at the bottom of the tank so that indicated she moved, I tried to give her a super worm but she got it in her mouth and ate a piece of it not the whole thing. I could really use some advice guys when I got home to night from work she looked as if she was on her death bed, going in and out of sleep, and not moving, she was this dark green color, I got her under all the lights again. Its like it just happened over night but I have her in a small enclosure keeping her warm and under a UVB light for now. Also before I forget she is started to go through her shed, you may be able to see that in the pictures and things. Also when you are looking at the images the first 6, JMG 759-753, are of her tonight but the last 4, JMG 712-697 are of the day i got her and a day or so after wards.
I could really use anyone's help thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG-0759.jpg
    IMG-0759.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG-0755.jpg
    IMG-0755.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG-0757.jpg
    IMG-0757.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG-0758.jpg
    IMG-0758.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG-0752.jpg
    IMG-0752.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG-0753.jpg
    IMG-0753.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG-0712.jpg
    IMG-0712.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG-0713.jpg
    IMG-0713.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG-0695.JPG
    IMG-0695.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG-0697.JPG
    IMG-0697.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 118
First I want to start off by saying what a great site to have found, secondly I wish that I would have found this site under different circumstances. My name is Ashley, i'm the owner, and I have adopted a viled, translate, female chameleon named Raffy. She is still very small and I don't know what her age is but it seems to be younger than 6 months, I purchased her at a PetCo in North Carolina and she was a beautiful, healthy, moving around, feisty, and happy chameleon. While we have had her 2 weeks today but i was cleaning her tank on 10/27/20 and seen worms in her poop!!! I freaked out and called our local vet which sees reptiles and we got an appointment the next morning, 10/28/20, and after a long 45 minute wait the vet cleared her said that they were not intestinal worms but they were fly larva and said that i had a very healthy chameleon. I brought her home put her in her cage she seemed healthy and happy and then I went to work about an 8 hour shift, my parents were home in and out of the room checking on her and everything was normal. The next day, 10/29/20, I went to go check on her and she is hanging up sidedown in her cage which i thought was odd but didn't question it, she ate two medium sized super worms and when she started climbing I noticed it was weird, she acted like she couldn't get her legs to latch on to the vine. I thought she was stressed from the vet visit so I helped her climb to the top of her cage and decided to leave her alone for a while, thinking i was gonna do more harm than good if I continued to bother her. I had checked on her a few times and she was in the same spot, I thought ah she is basking; boy was I wrong, about 10:30 that night my parents started yelling for me to come look at her and she is laying flat on the bottom of her enclosure, I went into full panic mode, I picked her up while she was in my hand she could not stand up! So I put her in her little carry on thinking she was extremely cold and checked on her all throughout the night she was still the same. About 6 am on 10/30/20 she looked really good, she was her normal green, when i reached in to touch her she puffed up and moved away but she still wasn't standing. About 10 am, I had to work, I came home and she looked good but she wasn't standing, I picked her up and placed her back down and its like her legs have no strength to hold her up. Instantly I was on the way back to the vet and they rushed her back, they kept her from 10 am to 5 pm heating her up they stated her temp was way to low, her cage was to large, give me some reading material, sent me on my way; she looked good but still wasn't moving. So the vet recommended throwing some vines and things into a rectangle aquarium so that she would be closer to her lights. While today when I got up, checked on her, she was still the same laying there but sometimes she would be at the bottom of the tank so that indicated she moved, I tried to give her a super worm but she got it in her mouth and ate a piece of it not the whole thing. I could really use some advice guys when I got home to night from work she looked as if she was on her death bed, going in and out of sleep, and not moving, she was this dark green color, I got her under all the lights again. Its like it just happened over night but I have her in a small enclosure keeping her warm and under a UVB light for now. Also before I forget she is started to go through her shed, you may be able to see that in the pictures and things. Also when you are looking at the images the first 6, JMG 759-753, are of her tonight but the last 4, JMG 712-697 are of the day i got her and a day or so after wards.
I could really use anyone's help thanks guys.
Hi Ashley and welcome to the forum. To better help you to try and figure out what may have happened I’m going to ask you to answer the help form questions. With only the info you’ve provided I am most interested in what supplements and schedule you are using and your lighting, so please be as specific as possible. If you could provide clear pics of your enclosure from lights to floor, that would also help greatly.
When you saw the worms in her poop, did you take a sample to your vet to test?
Sadly, many animals sold at Petco aren’t healthy and the employees often give very poor advice on what your animal needs. But let’s move on and see if we can help you to figure out what’s happened and get your sweet girl on the path to a long healthy and happy life.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

From the pictures she looks like she needs a lay bin, has mbd and is dehydrated. I will let the more experienced explain more and see if they agree, but please fill out the form on previous post.

Welcome to the forum! With the larvae in her poop, it is like that because she has not fully digested them. Next time you feed them, just poke them down just a tad (to make them flatter), and that should be better. Another thing... with the super worms medium-sized ones are going to be too big for her age and size, I recommend going with small, or micro ones. With her hanging upside down on the cage... make sure she does not burn herself when she is basking under the heat lamp, as they can be hot. the temp should not go over 80. @MissSkittles can help you with your husbandry.

Hey Miss Skittles,

Thanks for helping me out! You are asking about the supplements that I use which are calcium plus D3 and I coat everything I feed her in that (crickets and superworms). Her lighting when we brought her home we were using a 40w UVB blub and a red heating bulb, which I quickly found out were bad for her eyes and switched it over to a normal house blub but her lighting now is a 150w UVB and a normal household light. Also her enclosure has been taken down for right now because she can't climb up the vines to bask in the lights she needs, so right now I have her in a small pet carry ( one you would get a hamster or something in) because the vet thought she wasn't getting warm enough. I did take a sample of her poop to the vet which she looked over in a microscope and decided they weren't coming out of her body but a fly laid eggs there. I want to make sure that you know I only feed her crickets and superworms not fly larva.

Form Questions

Chameleon- Female, Viled, I don't know the age, and I have had her 2 weeks

Handling- When I first brought her home I probably handled her a little to much and then I kind of left her alone after that day but now I have to handle her often because she can't move so she will fall over or need some adjusting.

Food- Crickets mainly and a few super worms. She'll eat about three medium crickets and one super worm. We feed her in the afternoon and we hand feed her. Gutloading we use veggies to feed the insects

Fecal- I don't know what her poop looks like. I mean when I took her to the vet the sample was brown and soft? I supposed that was from spraying. She has been tested and she was cleared( didn't have any)

History- None

Cage- Screen and i don't know the measurements

Lighting- a normal light blub 100w, reptile brand of of
Hi Ashley and welcome to the forum. To better help you to try and figure out what may have happened I’m going to ask you to answer the help form questions. With only the info you’ve provided I am most interested in what supplements and schedule you are using and your lighting, so please be as specific as possible. If you could provide clear pics of your enclosure from lights to floor, that would also help greatly.
When you saw the worms in her poop, did you take a sample to your vet to test?
Sadly, many animals sold at Petco aren’t healthy and the employees often give very poor advice on what your animal needs. But let’s move on and see if we can help you to figure out what’s happened and get your sweet girl on the path to a long healthy and happy life.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hey Miss Skittles,

Thanks for helping me out! You are asking about the supplements that I use which are calcium plus D3 and I coat everything I feed her in that (crickets and superworms). Her lighting when we brought her home we were using a 40w UVB blub and a red heating bulb, which I quickly found out were bad for her eyes and switched it over to a normal house blub but her lighting now is a 150w UVB and a normal household light. Also her enclosure has been taken down for right now because she can't climb up the vines to bask in the lights she needs, so right now I have her in a small pet carry ( one you would get a hamster or something in) because the vet thought she wasn't getting warm enough. I did take a sample of her poop to the vet which she looked over in a microscope and decided they weren't coming out of her body but a fly laid eggs there. I want to make sure that you know I only feed her crickets and superworms not fly larva.

Form Questions

Chameleon- Female, Viled, I don't know the age, and I have had her 2 weeks

Handling- When I first brought her home I probably handled her a little to much and then I kind of left her alone after that day but now I have to handle her often because she can't move so she will fall over or need some adjusting.

Food- Crickets mainly and a few super worms. She'll eat about three medium crickets and one super worm. We feed her in the afternoon and we hand feed her. Gutloading we use veggies to feed the insects

Fecal- I don't know what her poop looks like. I mean when I took her to the vet the sample was brown and soft? I supposed that was from spraying. She has been tested and she was cleared( didn't have any)

History- None

Cage- Screen and i don't know the measurements

Lighting- a normal light blub 100w, reptile brand of UVB and a no light heater. She is on a 12 hr cycle but recently she has been getting a little more UVB because she doesn’t move.
Temp- It stays about 80-70 that’s day and night the bottom is about 70 and I use a thermometer.
Humidity- I hand spray her tank more than 5 times a day but I don’t know the levels
Plants- Fake plants, we can’t find any live ones
Placements- The cage is in a bed room where we keep other reptiles( see can’t see them) her tank sits on a desk and there are no vents or anything near her, not a lot of traffic? We live in the country.
Location- Northern Region of South Carolina
Current Problem- She won’t stand, climb, or even move. She just lays there, it’s like she has no strength to move. It happened over night it blow our minds, today her color is good but she is sleeping a lot. She tries to move but she just wiggles around.

Welcome to the forum! With the larvae in her poop, it is like that because she has not fully digested them. Next time you feed them, just poke them down just a tad (to make them flatter), and that should be better. Another thing... with the super worms medium-sized ones are going to be too big for her age and size, I recommend going with small, or micro ones. With her hanging upside down on the cage... make sure she does not burn herself when she is basking under the heat lamp, as they can be hot. the temp should not go over 80. @MissSkittles can help you with your husbandry.
We don’t feed her larva. A fly just decided that was the best place to lay eggs.

From the pictures she looks like she needs a lay bin, has mbd and is dehydrated. I will let the more experienced explain more and see if they agree, but please fill out the form on previous post.
Hi ya,
It could be MBD but the vets seemed to not think so. It wouldn’t have happened in a matter of 24 hours and she’s starting to shed very nicely so I believe dehydration isn’t the problem but I will keep both of these in mind and treat her for them thank you :)

Your vet sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. Be careful with people that think they know everything because they spent money on the schooling, most vets have 0 experience with chameleons.

No knock at vets, just the ones that give all kinds of information out when they really have no clue.

Your vet sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. Be careful with people that think they know everything because they spent money on the schooling, most vets have 0 experience with chameleons.

No knock at vets, just the ones that give all kinds of information out when they really have no clue.
I was thinking about getting a different opinion too. :)

I would also like to suggest upgrading to a hospital been. Here is a link of some ppl talking about it. You just need a clear tote bin you can get at the store, that critter keeper is way to small to keep her in it while she’s in recovery. That way you can also provide a place for her to lay eggs if she needs one. I like to offer a laying bin at all time for my female, that way you don’t have to worry about missing signs of laying

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hospital-bin-help.176987/post-1587975

I would also like to suggest upgrading to a hospital been. Here is a link of some ppl talking about it. You just need a clear tote bin you can get at the store, that critter keeper is way to small to keep her in it while she’s in recovery. That way you can also provide a place for her to lay eggs if she needs one. I like to offer a laying bin at all time for my female, that way you don’t have to worry about missing signs of laying

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hospital-bin-help.176987/post-1587975
So place her in a larger plastic bin? Gotcha gotcha, the only reason she is in that is because I wanted to make sure she stayed warm

Hey Ashley, I am pretty sure that this is not your current problem but will become one in the future. 5 times a day for spraying is too much. You need to get a humidity gauge. I run 2 digital ones that give me temp and humidity. One at the top and 1 and the bottom.

also a mister like the monsoon will make your life easier. I have mine on a timer so I don’t have to worry about it. Just make sure it has water.

females are harder in that you have eggs to deal with. This is new ground for me too and miss skittles has been full of help and advice.

I have attached my full set up as when I first got my panther had no idea what I was doing.

Attachments

• 4677D8E5-D44C-48CD-9D94-8DE31F88620E.jpeg
    4677D8E5-D44C-48CD-9D94-8DE31F88620E.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 4B7BF4B1-A70B-4CBB-BFE5-697944622566.jpeg
    4B7BF4B1-A70B-4CBB-BFE5-697944622566.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 91
  • D4CDA790-9B9D-421F-9E95-589EF98B1D93.jpeg
    D4CDA790-9B9D-421F-9E95-589EF98B1D93.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 96
Hey Ashley, I am pretty sure that this is not your current problem but will become one in the future. 5 times a day for spraying is too much. You need to get a humidity gauge. I run 2 digital ones that give me temp and humidity. One at the top and 1 and the bottom.

also a mister like the monsoon will make your life easier. I have mine on a timer so I don’t have to worry about it. Just make sure it has water.

females are harder in that you have eggs to deal with. This is new ground for me too and miss skittles has been full of help and advice.

I have attached my full set up as when I first got my panther had no idea what I was doing.
Thanks I’ll do that

She hasn’t eaten in about 24 hours so maybe she’ll begin to perk up.
It takes awhile For them to extract these toxins from their bodies so I could take a few weeks to months. I adopted chameleons last year with d3 and vit a overload. I stopped dusting with anything but pure calcium. Also natural sun is a good way to help there body break down the d3, so maybe take her outside for a few mins a day to help her body break it down more.

the reason for the bigger tote is so she can move around and not just warm lightson her in one spot at all times. Reptiles don’t feel heat like we do and it’s easy for them to get thermal burns

It takes awhile For them to extract these toxins from their bodies so I could take a few weeks to months. I adopted chameleons last year with d3 and vit a overload. I stopped dusting with anything but pure calcium. Also natural sun is a good way to help there body break down the d3, so maybe take her outside for a few mins a day to help her body break it down more.

the reason for the bigger tote is so she can move around and not just warm lightson her in one spot at all times. Reptiles don’t feel heat like we do and it’s easy for them to get thermal burns
Bigger bin so she can move if she wants and natural sunlight. What if it’s cold outside? Sit her on a heat pad?

Bigger bin so she can move if she wants and natural sunlight. What if it’s cold outside? Sit her on a heat pad?
How cold we talking like 50? If you feel it’s to cold you can try doing this, go to a window with good light,set up a free range for her to hang out on and open the window. Make sure the window is open or the window glass will block the uvb ray

Back
Top Bottom