We’re moving 1700 miles HELP!

We try on this forum to tell people as much as we can about chameleons...and especially about female veileds laying eggs...but sometimes we miss telling people "everything" sadly.

We all have a learning curve because we still don't have all the answers too. Sometimes there are things beyond our control to.

So sorry for your loss. It's not easy losing one. All I can say is keep her in your heart. She was lucky to have someone like you who was concerned about her care and doing the best for her.

Hi there. We drove in the car with Lula in a butterfly carrier that had a couple of sticks propped up in it and it was mostly covered by a sheet. They don’t need to see the passing car and scenery. We drove like three hours a day. We brought her big home cage and set that up each afternoon in our hotel room. She did really well. We made it to CA and she loved being in the hot sun. I brought her to the vet and she got a healthy report. After about a month she stopped eating and drinking. I tried to force water and a little bit of food in her and she was not happy. Just to say it, not force, I would taker outside and let her get hot and have her drink water from a syringe and eat a worm or cricket when she gaped to cool off. Of course at this point I took her out of the sun. She was not happy and did not feel good and despite not eating she was getting bloated.

She previously had gotten egg bound so her woman parts were removed.

I took her to the vet again and she was full of follicles (with no way to expel them when they grew into eggs), she had a mass in her bladder and she was in renal failure. So we decided to euthanize her.

Truth be told, this was twoish months ago and I’m balling my eyes out even still. I really feel like I failed her. And knowing what I know now she must’ve felt so miserable. I feel so guilty. I really tried, read everything I could find and we spent so so much money on her. I’m telling ya, we had her almost a year and spent $8k+ on her. She was happy when she wasn’t sick. And I miss her terribly. My heart is absolutely broken. I really tried. 1000%. I loved her with all of my heart and soul and did anything and everything we could think of to try.

I’m sorry. I guess I needed to vent.

So yeah, that’s what we did and she did really well. Just be sure to be extra gentle with your panthers and I wouldn’t handle them a lot. Just to explain, we bought the heat/uvb lamps and her water drip system, everything. We hand misted her cage and had all the temp/humidity gauges in her big cage. We wanted her to be as comfy as possible. We took her from the butterfly carrier to her big cage in the hotel and left her alone.

When we got to CA we left her alone for the first few days. Let her adapt and settle in.

Sorry again.
Good luck on your trip.
Thanks for the response, things have been so hectic preparing for the move I haven’t checked back here. That was a heck of a journey. Sorry for your loss. But thanks for your insight. We are moving from East Tennessee to Northern Cal in January. And have been scouring the forums for info on making it as comfortable for them as possible. We have 2 ambilobes and 3 bearded dragons. So it’s def going to be an adventure.

Hi there. We drove in the car with Lula in a butterfly carrier that had a couple of sticks propped up in it and it was mostly covered by a sheet. They don’t need to see the passing car and scenery. We drove like three hours a day. We brought her big home cage and set that up each afternoon in our hotel room. She did really well. We made it to CA and she loved being in the hot sun. I brought her to the vet and she got a healthy report. After about a month she stopped eating and drinking. I tried to force water and a little bit of food in her and she was not happy. Just to say it, not force, I would taker outside and let her get hot and have her drink water from a syringe and eat a worm or cricket when she gaped to cool off. Of course at this point I took her out of the sun. She was not happy and did not feel good and despite not eating she was getting bloated.

She previously had gotten egg bound so her woman parts were removed.

I took her to the vet again and she was full of follicles (with no way to expel them when they grew into eggs), she had a mass in her bladder and she was in renal failure. So we decided to euthanize her.

Truth be told, this was twoish months ago and I’m balling my eyes out even still. I really feel like I failed her. And knowing what I know now she must’ve felt so miserable. I feel so guilty. I really tried, read everything I could find and we spent so so much money on her. I’m telling ya, we had her almost a year and spent $8k+ on her. She was happy when she wasn’t sick. And I miss her terribly. My heart is absolutely broken. I really tried. 1000%. I loved her with all of my heart and soul and did anything and everything we could think of to try.

I’m sorry. I guess I needed to vent.

So yeah, that’s what we did and she did really well. Just be sure to be extra gentle with your panthers and I wouldn’t handle them a lot. Just to explain, we bought the heat/uvb lamps and her water drip system, everything. We hand misted her cage and had all the temp/humidity gauges in her big cage. We wanted her to be as comfy as possible. We took her from the butterfly carrier to her big cage in the hotel and left her alone.

When we got to CA we left her alone for the first few days. Let her adapt and settle in.

Sorry again.
Good luck on your trip.
I just saw this and am so very sorry that you lost her. 😢 It sounds like you gave her a beautiful life and did everything that you could. Wishing you peace and healing.💗

Back
Top Bottom