WC question

Wyattherp

I was just about to buy a seemingly healthy WC ambilobe (a few scars but looks good) and I'm a little torn about whether or not I should go through with it or get a CB. This is going to be a pet not a breeder. Can I get some feedback please.

I would hold out for a CB. Importing an animal is very stressful for the animal and can be stressful on the species as a whole. I prefer CB because there are many species of reptiles that are going extinct because they are taken from the wild.

In my opinion buying a WC animal for a pet is irresponsible. If you are pulling a genetic profile from nature it is wrong to not at least try to get those fresh genetics into the captive breeding population.

Outside of ethics a captive bred animal will on average live longer, acclimate better, feed better, have fewer expensive health problems and all in all make a better pet.

I was just about to buy a seemingly healthy WC ambilobe (a few scars but looks good) and I'm a little torn about whether or not I should go through with it or get a CB. This is going to be a pet not a breeder. Can I get some feedback please.

A wild caught panther belongs with a breeder not as a pet.

A wild caught is a real challenge to deal with. Often they never recover from the stresses of capture although the Madagascar exporters are doing a pretty good job. They really are difficult just to keep alive. Then there is the issue of whether they will ever be relaxed around you. I have two wild caughts that have been in captivity for well over a year and in a panic they will fling themselves into space to escape me if I am holding them. I have others that would hand feed a couple of weeks after import.

Back
Top Bottom