WC C. O'shaughnessy Pair

The male unfortunately never acclimated well to captivity and despite multiple rounds of treatment did not make it, vet suspected he had underlying kidney issues and we were never sure how old he was since he came in as an adult. He passed in early December, we had to evacuate for hurricane Matthew and those 3 days really took a toll on him he never bounced back after the stress of that adventure. Luckily the female has come along much better and is parasite free now eats everything and has gotten comfortable enough with us that's she's not stressed about going out to her free range sometimes even climbs on our arms when we are feeding. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with her now that I don't have a male any longer, plan now is to hold out and see if any of the eggs around hatch and try to get a first generation CB male. I won't buy another adult import it was to stressful on both the animal and myself trying to acclimate that male and really tough to fail after spending so much time and effort with him.
DC7BDC3F-3C7C-4395-A020-0735E4B2196B_zpsdv5toz4x.jpg
A786308B-D373-4B49-8710-99FA6E02C94D_zpshlgweugh.jpg
Thank you for the reply. Very sorry for your loss of the male. Very glad to hear the female is doing so well! I hope you are able to get a mate for her. Any advice on their care? Anything you would have done differently?

The male unfortunately never acclimated well to captivity and despite multiple rounds of treatment did not make it, vet suspected he had underlying kidney issues and we were never sure how old he was since he came in as an adult. He passed in early December, we had to evacuate for hurricane Matthew and those 3 days really took a toll on him he never bounced back after the stress of that adventure. Luckily the female has come along much better and is parasite free now eats everything and has gotten comfortable enough with us that's she's not stressed about going out to her free range sometimes even climbs on our arms when we are feeding. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with her now that I don't have a male any longer, plan now is to hold out and see if any of the eggs around hatch and try to get a first generation CB male. I won't buy another adult import it was to stressful on both the animal and myself trying to acclimate that male and really tough to fail after spending so much time and effort with him.
DC7BDC3F-3C7C-4395-A020-0735E4B2196B_zpsdv5toz4x.jpg
A786308B-D373-4B49-8710-99FA6E02C94D_zpshlgweugh.jpg

Sorry about your male. Unfortunately the same thing happened with me except with my female.. Now I currently just have a male.. Took quite a few treatments to get him cleaned up.. But he has put on a ton of weight and is doing great now.. I am probably going to end up selling him because I have my hands full with other projects... If you have any interest let me know. I'd prefer getting him into the hands of someone who intends on working with the species and not just keeping him as a pet. I've had him since last May..

Attachments

• 20161111_175859.jpg
    20161111_175859.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 107
Thank you for the reply. Very sorry for your loss of the male. Very glad to hear the female is doing so well! I hope you are able to get a mate for her. Any advice on their care? Anything you would have done differently?

I did pretty much everything I could think of and everything the vet recommended, tons of natural sunlight whenever possible, multiple rounds of treatment, daily cage cleaning. They each came in heavy with coccidia and it's a tough one to deal with. He was on the brink a few times and I thought finally good after a couple clear fecals but the hurricane evacuation was a ton of stress on all my chams, with babies I had just over 60 when we evacuated and then they wouldn't let us back in for a few days after because of the damage to roads. He never recovered from that experience and the coccidia flared up again at the end. I'm still having to be super attentive to all my cleaning and using medical grade hydrogen peroxide wipes to clean all the cages trying to keep the coccidia at bay and out of the larger collection. I would highly recommend waiting on CB animals to become available or going with another species. A $300 chameleon can quickly become a $1000 dollar or more investment when almost weekly vet care is needed.

Sorry about your male. Unfortunately the same thing happened with me except with my female.. Now I currently just have a male.. Took quite a few treatments to get him cleaned up.. But he has put on a ton of weight and is doing great now.. I am probably going to end up selling him because I have my hands full with other projects... If you have any interest let me know. I'd prefer getting him into the hands of someone who intends on working with the species and not just keeping him as a pet. I've had him since last May..

He looks really good but I'm at capacity right now with other projects as well. I wish I could take him but just isn't in the cards for at least a couple months when I can move some babies out.

He looks really good but I'm at capacity right now with other projects as well. I wish I could take him but just isn't in the cards for at least a couple months when I can move some babies out.
I hear ya. He's in Brumation right now anyways and I'd rather not disturb that. I'm not actively pursuing selling him so he may still be around in a few months after he comes out of Brumation. if anything changes on your end you know where to look.. And the coccidia with these O's was Nasty. He had it very heavy also.. Took about 6 treatments if toltrazuril ..

Back
Top Bottom