WC C. O'shaughnessy Pair

guanagator

Avid Member
Got this pair end of last week and they seem to be adjusting ok to their new home. Both hand fed on large orange heads plus took some super worms first day, offered crickets today but they didn't get very motivated by them discoids got a better response. So far the female is the more comfortable of the pair she couldn't care less about me cleaning cages or putting feeders in. The male has clearly decided his dragonstrand is just that, his. Gets all worked up everytime I open the door. So far been keeping them on the same mist and temps as my quads with the exception of basking areas, my quads didn't use the basking spots once in the month or so I offered them one. The male O'shaughnessy basks and feeds most of the morning each day so far then moves down into the thickest part of the plants the rest of the day. The female has been true to the sedentary nature of the species, she sits under the mistking nozzle.

DSC_2832_zpsproajkpy.jpg

DSC_2910_zpsuwbrteui.jpg

DSC_2846_zpshyx5ppgw.jpg

DSC_2859_zpsdodxz86y.jpg

DSC_2857_zpssjqklg51.jpg

FAFBDCA4-797F-464B-BE31-91301A0B2507_zps33g9kkn4.jpg

Nice pair!

Thank you!

Beautiful!

I agree, maybe not the kaleidoscope of a Panther but they are just fascinating chameleons, the male has these two green patches on the top of his casque that are so intricate.

Managed to get them both out this morning for few hours of early basking, we got a rainstorm yesterday night that dropped the temps down to high 70s low 80s which is the same as the indoor basking areas I've been providing. They really light up in the natural sun, gave them about an hour long sunshower with the mister on about half the plants, the male stayed in the mist while the female went to the dry side after she drank a few minutes. My camera battery was doa this am so only got one shot before it died and I didn't want to annoy them by getting close with the phone. Will have to get the female next time. Going to have to come up with some names for this pair, they have a ton of character and I can see this species being a long term project if things go well.

Anoles beware big boy cruising the garden!
9E6F5E22-06D6-4C96-942F-EC9595814E72_zpsseosfg33.jpg

40705926-CAB3-4F09-A7CB-4CA7DC5405E3_zpsv481ocht.jpg

Caught this lady enjoying her misting session last night, this species seems to love water almost as much as the quads! She's not a very active girl and has picked a perch under the mistking nozzle and within tounge range of the feeder cup, other than a short bask at around 80F each morning she's spends all day in her spot then crawls down into a hibiscus to sleep. The male likes to bask longer and is a bit more active from my observations so far. Both feeding primarily on worms and roaches still, crickets haven't been taken and I don't want to leave any free ranging feeders until I'm sure the animals are clean from parasites. Since they have settled in well I'm going to take fecals and start any needed treatments next week. From the looks of the stools so far they will likely need another round of meds. They would be brumating right now in the wild but I'm keeping the basking areas on and misting sessions longer trying to adjust them to captivity in the northern hemisphere. The current plan is to let them go through the fall, winter, and spring full time outside here in north Florida. From my research the temps and humidity are close to their natural range even though elevation is significantly different.

This guy has been shedding off different body parts for a week and half now. Wish it would cool down some to get him some natural sun time or even better a real rain shower but no rain and mid to upper 90s in our long range forecast.
FC7D1264-CB02-4FEB-BDEA-E191EE22BDDF_zps3btrcd2x.jpg

Wow... they look great one of the biggest hurdles is to acclimate WC to captivity which you have done..Best of luck with your next week treatment...(y)

Decided to delay treatment another week or so, the female staged a hunger strike from Sunday until this morning only ate one roach so I didn't want to start them on anything. This species has been pretty picky about food, have seen on FB others eating crickets but this pair definitely prefers larger prey, neither has taken a cricket in my care. Full size roaches and huge hornworms seem to be preferred I'm going to get some silkworms and see if they work.

Eating again!
D704E194-D5D7-4E08-96F2-F8C4151C7058_zps6qsa4nfy.jpg

Ambush spots.
2635F9AA-64FD-41D9-B8FE-A1AF28F748AC_zps9uuf1tw6.jpg
2A1EBC5E-1AA9-47DB-9B93-733E42539A26_zpsg6pd5mbk.jpg

Sleeping colors.
69422D33-06E6-4302-BDC6-62D4F2F2252E_zpssi5m2a7p.jpg

The male unfortunately never acclimated well to captivity and despite multiple rounds of treatment did not make it, vet suspected he had underlying kidney issues and we were never sure how old he was since he came in as an adult. He passed in early December, we had to evacuate for hurricane Matthew and those 3 days really took a toll on him he never bounced back after the stress of that adventure. Luckily the female has come along much better and is parasite free now eats everything and has gotten comfortable enough with us that's she's not stressed about going out to her free range sometimes even climbs on our arms when we are feeding. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with her now that I don't have a male any longer, plan now is to hold out and see if any of the eggs around hatch and try to get a first generation CB male. I won't buy another adult import it was to stressful on both the animal and myself trying to acclimate that male and really tough to fail after spending so much time and effort with him.
DC7BDC3F-3C7C-4395-A020-0735E4B2196B_zpsdv5toz4x.jpg
A786308B-D373-4B49-8710-99FA6E02C94D_zpshlgweugh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom