Ways to raise uvb.

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
Hi I’m wondering if anyone has any sturdy ways to raise the uvb off the mesh top that doesn’t include holes in the wall? Im looking for a cheap easy way that does NOT involve any holes in the wall

Hi I’m wondering if anyone has any sturdy ways to raise the uvb off the mesh top that doesn’t include holes in the wall? Im looking for a cheap easy way that does NOT involve any holes in the wall
how far is the uvb from the basking spot currently?

Well yes but the only reason that wouldn’t really work is cause he always climbs on the screen closer than I would want him to get to the heat. His basking is up to like 84 but he still climbs? so I have to raise the uvb instead of just lowering the basking branch

Well yes but the only reason that wouldn’t really work is cause he always climbs on the screen closer than I would want him to get to the heat. His basking is up to like 84 but he still climbs? so I have to raise the uvb instead of just lowering the basking branch
Ok so wait.... Are you wanting to raise the heat lamp or the uvb? Can you please post pics of your entire enclosure? And tell me what type of UVB fixture and bulb your using? Raising UVB fixtures has to be done correctly at the right distances or the cham may not be exposed to the correct UVB levels causing MBD.

Ok so wait.... Are you wanting to raise the heat lamp or the uvb? Can you please post pics of your entire enclosure? And tell me what type of UVB fixture and bulb your using? Raising UVB fixtures has to be done correctly at the right distances or the cham may not be exposed to the correct UVB levels causing MBD.
I am wanting to raise the uvb because he still screen climbs. The bulb is a t5HO 10.0. I know I need to raise it, not sure exactly how much?? His actual basking spot is around 9 inches away from it, but he prefers to be closer by climbing the screen higher up, so then he’s like 6 inches away. (From the uvb) So should I make sure the uvb is raised 12 inches from the place he likes to hang out on the screen, or 12 inches up from his actual basking spot???

I am wanting to raise the uvb because he still screen climbs. The bulb is a t5HO 10.0. I know I need to raise it, not sure exactly how much?? His actual basking spot is around 9 inches away from it, but he prefers to be closer by climbing the screen higher up, so then he’s like 6 inches away. (From the uvb) So should I make sure the uvb is raised 12 inches from the place he likes to hang out on the screen, or 12 inches up from his actual basking spot???
What is the measured distance from the basking branch to the top? Technically you would have that branch 5 inches below the screen then you would have this fixture with the 10.0 bulb raised 7 inches above the top of the enclosure and above that branch. This would create a UVI of 3 at the branch and a UVI 6 on the screen. Keeping him in the safe UVI range for exposure.

With this you have to make sure you raise your heat fixture as well. Otherwise thermal burn risk is high.

You can either make a PVC frame or get a rack like this utilizing the top shelf for the UVB and heat to sit on. And placing the other shelves so that the cage fits on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019GNRJP...3f77f3e4eeb79ecc088c2&creativeASIN=B019GNRJPU

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HGCJQK...71545117ea50c7c1ffc72&creativeASIN=B07HGCJQKQ

What is the measured distance from the basking branch to the top? Technically you would have that branch 5 inches below the screen then you would have this fixture with the 10.0 bulb raised 7 inches above the top of the enclosure and above that branch. This would create a UVI of 3 at the branch and a UVI 6 on the screen. Keeping him in the safe UVI range for exposure.

With this you have to make sure you raise your heat fixture as well. Otherwise thermal burn risk is high.

You can either make a PVC frame or get a rack like this utilizing the top shelf for the UVB and heat to sit on. And placing the other shelves so that the cage fits on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019GNRJP...3f77f3e4eeb79ecc088c2&creativeASIN=B019GNRJPU

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HGCJQK...71545117ea50c7c1ffc72&creativeASIN=B07HGCJQKQ

Actual Basking branch to the top is about 8 inches. Just measured.
The heat lamp is raised a couple inches off the top, as well as we put a dimmer on it so we can adjust the heat it puts out.
007D0DE8-26D7-49D2-8368-FC084DD71E17.jpeg
E8BAD1A9-456A-492C-8072-B22EA2222449.jpeg

By the way the money tree looks a little less dense in real life. Pictures make it looks more dense.

Actual Basking branch to the top is about 8 inches. Just measured.
The heat lamp is raised a couple inches off the top, as well as we put a dimmer on it so we can adjust the heat it puts out. View attachment 274352View attachment 274353
So I am going to pick this apart a bit.... The money tree is too tall... The UVB is very much directed directly below the bulb. So where it sits it is hitting the leaves. The UVB does not penetrate the leaves. So below them the cham is not able to get any UVB. I believe this is why he is screen climbing to the top. Which is very dangerous because the exposure level right under that bulb on the screen is well over 20 UVI much much too high for him.

I suggest pulling that money tree out. You can use it as a free range area. And get shorter plants. The top 12 inches of your cage needs to be exposed for adequate UVB to the basking branch.

Also the light on the side is a no go. All lights should be on top. I know you are trying to provide light for the plants but having light come in from the bottom is very disorienting for the cham. Sun comes from above not below.

Without proper lighting for the plants from above they will die off.

Yeah
So I am going to pick this apart a bit.... The money tree is too tall... The UVB is very much directed directly below the bulb. So where it sits it is hitting the leaves. The UVB does not penetrate the leaves. So below them the cham is not able to get any UVB. I believe this is why he is screen climbing to the top. Which is very dangerous because the exposure level right under that bulb on the screen is well over 20 UVI much much too high for him.

I suggest pulling that money tree out. You can use it as a free range area. And get shorter plants. The top 12 inches of your cage needs to be exposed for adequate UVB to the basking branch.

Also the light on the side is a no go. All lights should be on top. I know you are trying to provide light for the plants but having light come in from the bottom is very disorienting for the cham. Sun comes from above not below.

Without proper lighting for the plants from above they will die off.
Ok thank you so much, I will move the grow light to the top. And the uvb I will adjust ASAP. I haven’t seen him climb directly under the uvb anytime recent that was only like the first day. I didn’t know how high the uvb level was! ?

Can I keep the money tree if I give it a very good trim? It grows really fast so it’ll be back in no time, but if I keep it trimmed back so the uvb can spread down more, can I keep the money tree.

Edit: just saw the part where I can use the money tree as a free range, so I can always just do that too so it would be ok if I had to take out the money tree. The only thing if I had to take it out (which wouldn’t be that big of a deal anyway because it’s going to be taken in a month because we’re moving) would be that he would have no coverage at the top of the cage? so I’m afraid he would get really stressed out.

Last edited:
I have turned the grow light off temporarily so he won’t get confused. You were right he was getting confused and hanging around in front of it. So until I figure out how to secure it to the top than its off.
I can temporarily raise the uvb with styrofoam till we get it make something more secure.

Yeah
Ok thank you so much, I will move the grow light to the top. And the uvb I will adjust ASAP. I haven’t seen him climb directly under the uvb anytime recent that was only like the first day. I didn’t know how high the uvb level was! ?

Can I keep the money tree if I give it a very good trim? It grows really fast so it’ll be back in no time, but if I keep it trimmed back so the uvb can spread down more, can I keep the money tree.
If you can trim it down 6 inches which in my opinion is a waste of a great money tree but it is up to you.
Most importantly you need the highest basking branch 5 inches from the top with the money tree below it and you want the UVB fixture 7 inches above the top. And you need to pull up that heat lamp as well thermal burns are really bad. I think a rack would be extremely helpful for you. You would be able to drill a hole in the pan you have below the cage and put a 5 gallon bucket below it on a shelf and then have the drip pan and cage on a shelf. Then have the top shelf placed 7 inches above the top of the cage to move your uvb and heat up.

I would move the money tree out but what could I do to give him some coverage at the top?? I just don’t know if he would be ok without the leaves and things.

I would move the money tree out but what could I do to give him some coverage at the top?? I just don’t know if he would be ok with the leaves and things.
Have you read through all the modules on chameleon academy yet? This will really help you. It is a balance of providing the different gradients for temps and humidity, dense plants to open areas. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

If you think of your cage as the canopy of a tree it will make more sense to you. A chameleon in the wild can come out of the tree at the top to get UVB exposure and heat up and then go back into the tree to escape the hotter periods of the day. So we try to mimic this the best we can with a cage and our lighting. Bill Strand calls this method the forest edge. It is providing that open space for basking and UVB while also offering densely planted areas.

The UVB is very much directed directly below the bulb. So where it sits it is hitting the leaves. The UVB does not penetrate the leaves. So below them the cham is not able to get any UVB. I believe this is why he is screen climbing to the top.

Thank you so much! I raised the uvb up and I haven’t even trimmed the money tree (I will though, tomorrow) but now he hasn’t been screen climbing! I think the uvb is spread out more now so he doesn’t need to screen climb to get the uvb. Can’t thank you enough!!! ?I never wouldve thought that this could be the problem.

For budget, i always get one of those 10 gallon totes and hack it up. They seem to have a high spousal approval factor since some of them are juuuust long enough to fit the hood inside of them. Then just drill some hold in the top so the light doesnt bake and you are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom