Way too many dubia!

ZacharyLeesWife

Avid Member
Does anyone have any ideas on how to slow a dubia colony? Mine is pretty out of control... I just sorted them and I have easily a hundred adults, you can just imagine how many nymphs I'm getting.

I'll definitely take them out of the bug farm, I keep it 83 in there, but my room temp is 75. Is that low enough? I am definitely going to call around about selling some of the adults.

I'll definitely take them out of the bug farm, I keep it 83 in there, but my room temp is 75. Is that low enough? I am definitely going to call around about selling some of the adults.
You're headed in the right direction. Put your roaches on craigslist to sell the ones you don't need. What I should have done when selling mine off, was to separate the colony into two. What I needed vs. what I wanted to sell off. Keep your remaining colony @ 70* +/- to slow the breeding process. Additionally, I'd re-allocate your ratio of males to females (i.e. less males). I've had good success with a 3:1 ratio for plentiful breeding. You could decrease the male pop to 5:1 or 6:1 to keep things at a low roar. Don't sell off too many or you will jeopardize your feedings.

I have this problem all the time. I've sent some off to a supplier once, and I've taken them to a couple of local pet stores. Problem is that now those stores have their own colonies so they don't need them the next time around. You can slow them down by keeping their temps a bit lower or not feeding them quite as much. Of course you still want to keep them gut-loaded though, so that is the conundrum. Maybe you should just get more chams!

I have this problem all the time. I've sent some off to a supplier once, and I've taken them to a couple of local pet stores. Problem is that now those stores have their own colonies so they don't need them the next time around. You can slow them down by keeping their temps a bit lower or not feeding them quite as much. Of course you still want to keep them gut-loaded though, so that is the conundrum. Maybe you should just get more chams!

Well, my Dilly bean laid a 55 egg clutch in November and it's looking great so far so getting more chams isn't a problem! I'm actually thinking about letting the colony keep going so I have nymphs for the hatchlings.

Sell them to me! No, but really, selling on Craigslist is probably the best option. Or online. Lots of people, me included, want very inexpensive and large lots of feeders.

To slow them, don't feed them. They will live for months with no food but will stop reproducing. I would personally sell starter colonies of say 2 m 2 f and 50 asst nymphs. Look for prices online. II give a lot of nymphs to the local pet shop. He in turn gives me a sweet discount. He gives me crickets and super worms for free and I will get my large reptibreeze for around $50 next week.

Back
Top Bottom