Wax Moths

WelshOneEmma

I know that wax worms are classed as sweets for chams and should be used sparingly as treats, but what about the moths? Occasionally we have had some that have pupated and turned into Moths, and as i am reluctant to release them (can destroy beehives and all the bees in Britain are disappearing as it is!) I was wondering if they would be ok to put in the cage? Are they still like sweets when they are moths?

Don't know if they are still like sweets, but I've let a couple loose in Lily's cage before, but they don't flutter up to the light (well mine didn't). I held its wings and Lily shot at it! She seemed to enjoy it - got her interest anyway!! They don't often get to moth stage in my house - my Sugar Glider luuurves waxworms!

I did pupate some to breed last summer, and I managed to get the moths to lay and hatched lots of teeny weeny waxies! They didn't grow very big so I must have been doing something wrong!! Might try again when the weather warms up a bit!

Bump!

Just wanted to see if anyone was able to help with this. We tried Hugo on some wax moths last night and he seemed to like them. Are they as fattening as the waxworms?

Try to search here to, useful links... https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/useful-links/

As far as i know, the larvae consumes loads of energy to pupate and developing to a moth. And because the waxworm got its energy mostly from the fat supples, maybe the moth itself contains much less fat than larvae. Im NOT sure that it makes the moth a "not sweet" category feeder. My chameleon loves them anyways as a worm and as a moth too.

"I managed to get the moths to lay and hatched lots of teeny weeny waxies!"
Lily! how did u manage them to breed? Can u share the ingredients for the waxworm "chow"?

greeting: Ricardo

"I managed to get the moths to lay and hatched lots of teeny weeny waxies!"
Lily! how did u manage them to breed? Can u share the ingredients for the waxworm "chow"?

greeting: Ricardo

Ricardo, I found the info to breed waxworms here: http://www.exotic-pets.eu/waxworms.php

I think I did something wrong though, as they hatched but didn't grow for some reason. They were sooo tiny when they hatched and I think loads escaped out of the top of the container. I used the leg of a pair of tights to make a fine mesh top, but they are so small they could still get through! I stood the container in a shallow dish of water so that the waxworms could not escape completely!

Hope this helps - have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom