Watery poo and pee? Please help!

park

Hi,
I have had my male jackson's chameleon for about 2 weeks now. He is around 8-9 months and a pretty healthy looking guy. This morning, I checked the cage and saw that his poo looked deflated and wet, and his urate is completely watery with some white and orange globs in it. This is very concerning to me considering his poo has always looked fairly normal. I know I've only had him for a short amount of time, but does anyone have a clue on what may be going on?

Because you have only had him for a short time, I'd suggest taking a fresh fecal sample to a vet to check for parasites. Some can cause watery stools, and as you don't know how he was cared for over the long term its a good thing to find out as part of his overall health care. Yes, hornworms can give them watery stools as they are a very moist meal, but if he's really been drinking a lot that can cause this too. If he was dehydrated when you got him and he's been really drinking a lot to recover, that could be what's going on. The fecal check is always a good idea especially with a new cham.

Because you have only had him for a short time, I'd suggest taking a fresh fecal sample to a vet to check for parasites. Some can cause watery stools, and as you don't know how he was cared for over the long term its a good thing to find out as part of his overall health care. Yes, hornworms can give them watery stools as they are a very moist meal, but if he's really been drinking a lot that can cause this too. If he was dehydrated when you got him and he's been really drinking a lot to recover, that could be what's going on. The fecal check is always a good idea especially with a new cham.
Ok thank you I'll try that! His poo is quite small so it will be tough trying to scrape it in a bag haha

Crickets dusted in calcium. He refused to eat mealworms, and didn't eat the wax worms I put out either. I think he may have eaten one today though.
He may never have been offered those other feeders before. Chams are suspicious of new things and changes in their little worlds. Its natural caution. As he settles in and gets used to your daily routine and his new territory he will eventually eat new insects....often because he shoots them while going for another that is familiar. Once the new ones get added to his "safe foods list" he may find he likes them.

Just to give a little advice, I wouldn't bother feeding mealworm or waxworms. Maybe a couple waxworms a month, but I wouldn't do mealworm at all. Very little nutrition and hard shells that don't digest well. Feed silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, soldier fly larvae, bottleflies, soldier flies, roaches, and crickets (to name a few).

Just to give a little advice, I wouldn't bother feeding mealworm or waxworms. Maybe a couple waxworms a month, but I wouldn't do mealworm at all. Very little nutrition and hard shells that don't digest well. Feed silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, soldier fly larvae, bottleflies, soldier flies, roaches, and crickets (to name a few).
Where do you get your silkworms? I don't think they have them at my local pet store

Most of us get our feeders online. 9/10 times pet store feeders are poor quality. I personally got my silkworms from a member here. The site sponsors. I've heard coastal silkworms has decent zebra silkworms, but have never used them. Silkworms are the one thing that can be a little tricky finding good quality. Hornworms, butterworms, and black soldier fly larvae are much more forgiving.

Most of us get our feeders online. 9/10 times pet store feeders are poor quality. I personally got my silkworms from a member here. The site sponsors. I've heard coastal silkworms has decent zebra silkworms, but have never used them. Silkworms are the one thing that can be a little tricky finding good quality. Hornworms, butterworms, and black soldier fly larvae are much more forgiving.
Ok thanks! I'll look into that.

Back
Top Bottom