waterproof wood inside cage?

Ashleigh

I bought some expensive grapewood for my upgraded cage I'm working on and I'd like it to last as long as possible. Can I waterproof it somehow to where it would be safe for my little guy and make it last longer?

ceramacoat, its made by delta creative, its completely non-toxic, it costs about 12 dollars a bottle, you can buy in on amazon, but if you have a local craft store you can most likely get it there, i bought mine at MICHAELS craft store, the ceramacoat makes the product specifically for wood but you can obviously use it to waterproof other objects, long lasting, just make sure its dryed out good, quick drying time!!!

Thanks! I just want to make sure my little guy doesn't get sick from anything...but This pretty wood is expensive and I want it to last!

ceramacoat, its made by delta creative, its completely non-toxic, it costs about 12 dollars a bottle, you can buy in on amazon, but if you have a local craft store you can most likely get it there, i bought mine at MICHAELS craft store, the ceramacoat makes the product specifically for wood but you can obviously use it to waterproof other objects, long lasting, just make sure its dryed out good, quick drying time!!!

Does this create a very slick hard surface? Might make it harder for the cham to grip tight.

pretty much every sealer does this. you could mix a non toxic sand in with the sealer if you truly desire, just to give it that extra grip.

I've come out of hibernation to tell you that I used water-based polyurethane on the branches in my cham cages. 3 years later, they are still intact and not moldy or rotten and my Mist King goes off 4 times a day pretty much soaking them.

Yay! good news! Thanks :) I've just painted all my wood with a sponge brush to get in all the cracks and crevices (it's like drift wood). The surface isn't super slick at all, it actually makes my wood look better:D

Sealing wood

I think the grape wood you are speaking of is the larger diameter sandblasted type you find at pet stores. If it is, your cham probably won't be spend much time climbing on the large diameter grape wood, so what you use for sealant is not as much of a risk as sealing the thinner diameter branches that the cham uses regularly to walk and rest/sleep on.

On the traveling and resting branches, it is best to not seal the wood, but leave them in a natural state, IMHO. The unsealed wood wicks the water away from the chams foot pads, and reduces the chance of foot infections caused by the constant contact of the water to the foot pads.

In the past I have used branches from craft stores that have had wax on them, and noticed that not only was the cham having trouble gripping, but the waxed branches held the water droplets way longer than natural branches.

It may be a small issue, but not treating your cham for athletes foot is with avoiding!

Nick Barta

I think the grape wood you are speaking of is the larger diameter sandblasted type you find at pet stores. If it is, your cham probably won't be spend much time climbing on the large diameter grape wood, so what you use for sealant is not as much of a risk as sealing the thinner diameter branches that the cham uses regularly to walk and rest/sleep on.

On the traveling and resting branches, it is best to not seal the wood, but leave them in a natural state, IMHO. The unsealed wood wicks the water away from the chams foot pads, and reduces the chance of foot infections caused by the constant contact of the water to the foot pads.

In the past I have used branches from craft stores that have had wax on them, and noticed that not only was the cham having trouble gripping, but the waxed branches held the water droplets way longer than natural branches.

It may be a small issue, but not treating your cham for athletes foot is with avoiding!

Nick Barta

Thanks for the reply! the grapewood I have has lots of branches on it, and I'm wrapping bendable vines around them to make them easier to climb on as well as more vines in the cage by themselves for climbing space. I'll also be attaching ferns to the the wood and tree fern background so that I will no longer have potted plants on the floor of the cage. I just got my arcadia light in as well, and it makes the cage look so much better! so much more light. I'm looking into getting some blue leds for light before the bright ones come on and then just after they turn off for about 30min or so to ease him into darkness and visa versa instead of the sudden on and off the uvb, basking light and plant light. I will post pics when I get it done :D

I bought some expensive grapewood for my upgraded cage I'm working on and I'd like it to last as long as possible. Can I waterproof it somehow to where it would be safe for my little guy and make it last longer?

I used garden fence paint as it doesn't harm creatures.

Back
Top Bottom