Waterfall wall and cage questions

Victoriancham

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have been wanting to get a chameleon for years!

I've read both sides of screen and no screen so that's my first question.

I want to purchase a glass cabinet, it's size would be approx 18x20 and 6ft tall (all 4 sides are glass, it's 4 panels, so small cracks of air in all 4 corners) I want to take the top off and build a wooden light holder so that they aren't visible and add a screen under the lights for extra air.

So the questions about this, if I add a small fan either at the bottom going up, or the top going down, would this help eith air circulation? Would I need it if the enclosure is 6 ft high? Aka would it be large enough where I could do without a fan? I'm hoping it is, but the other idea would be to take out one of the 4 glass panels and build a screen panel on the side.

Next! I have always wanted a water feature. Doesn't have to be an all out waterfall, but something that can still look like a waterfall but really isn't.

I want to build a frame out of pvc pipes that resembles the letter E. A pipe runnining along the bottom on both sides would be siliconed to the floor acting as an anchor, the 2 pipes would climb up the back wall (1 pipe on the left, 1 on the right) in the middlish area,, I want to add 2 pipes coming out, same length as the 2 pipes on the floor, so from the back wall all the way to the front door. These pipes would be where I foam them to the side walls, they would act as my chameleons main resting area, I would attach most of the sticks and vines here, add moss, and install live plants in the foam (after it's been sealed)

Next, the 2 back pipes would keep climbingall the way to the top and create a square at the top of the cage for added support fir the whole structure (aka, one pipe siliconed on place on each of the four sides)

On the back wall, the piping would have an opening, and that's where thr water feature would take place...

So, water feature.

I want to cut the glass shelves to create an 18x6 "aquarium" that is about 10 inches in height with it. This would run along the entire back wall.
Then...
Foam the entire back wall, add a couple grooves here and there, but in the end, it would be about 1 inch of foam from the top all the way to bottom.

Seal it....add black aquarium rocks to the whole thing and maybe a few slates...add moss here and there, but in the end, it would just be water flowing down the wall into a container at the bottom.

Thre aquarium/container would have egg crate almost at the top rim, mesh, and more aquarium rocks, the pump would be in the corner and I planned on closing it off in a way that water only flowed through in a certain area that had to pass through a filter first. Still thinking up exactly how I'll do the but still have somewhat easy access to change the filter + waterpump when necessary) I would run the tubing through thr pvc pipe all the way to the top and just have slits/holes cut so it would trickle into the wall.

I also wanted to ask about reqular ol' humidifiers. Can I just buy any humidifer off amazon and put it in? I found one that has a knob to control how strong it works, I thought of maybe getting that and placing it at the bottom behind a plant or something.

Also, the bottom I wanted to make it a moss floor. Not entirely sure as of right now, but that was the idea.

I was considering adding a mister at the top where the lights would go, or just mist manually, wouldn't want to use the same reservoir as the water feature.

Also...

Do misters and drippers serve the same purpose?

Thoughts, comments and concerns?

I tried to be as descriptive as possible, hopefully you can imagine what's going on in my head lol but if not, I'll clarify whatever is confusing.

As @Brodybreaux25 says, waterfalls are a no no. The reasoning for this is they pose a huge risk of contamination due to faeces, dead bugs etc. Add to the heat in the enclosure and it's a sure way to create a bacterial soup.

IF however you could do it, permanently plumbed in fresh water in and waste straight out to the drain, it may work. (Just an idea).

Recycling the water with a pump though, could easily lead to serious health issues.

Also bear in mind during your planning that everything needs to be cleaned regularly so if you build in pipework, you're not going to able to take it apart for cleaning.

The pvc would only have one pipe running through it to the top for the water but even if it's simply running off the wall and comes in no contact with feces still a no go?

You guys I want "some" sort of water feature, what do you suggest? Can I create a dripper waterfall that simply gets drained into a separate container and fresh water gets refilled everyday? Maybe something that trickles/drips from a corner top plant and drips leaf to leaf and whatever excess water is left drips into a different area to get refilled every night? Does that make sense?

Hi there and welcome. I would rethink the cabinet size you are looking at getting a 18x20 and 6ft tall is really small for depth and width. The height is great but you really want at least 24x24 especially if you are considering a Male Panther or Veiled. :) They enjoy their room to move around. If you have a big boy his length from nose to tip of tail could by up to 24inches depending on species. :)

Welcome to the forums!

If you really want a water feature, you could also make it inaccessible to your cham by installing a high vis screen in front of it. That way you get the humidity and the aesthetic, without posing nearly as much of a risk! :)

I'll also invite you to a conversation a few of us were having re: water features, and let you take a look at some of our thought processes.

...except, I'm so exhausted from my graveyard shift that I can't do simple things. @jamest0o0, pal, help me out? Is the convo too old now to invite new people?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

If you really want a water feature, you could also make it inaccessible to your cham by installing a high vis screen in front of it. That way you get the humidity and the aesthetic, without posing nearly as much of a risk! :)

I'll also invite you to a conversation a few of us were having re: water features, and let you take a look at some of our thought processes.

...except, I'm so exhausted from my graveyard shift that I can't do simple things. @jamest0o0, pal, help me out? Is the convo too old now to invite new people?
I say invite to the convo. She will find it informational helpful like I did if she wants to go that route

I say invite to the convo. She will find it informational helpful like I did if she wants to go that route

I want to, but I'm so braindead right now I can't find the button! I know I gave permission to everyone to invite whoever... could you do it? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom