Water...

Jahnna64

I was just thinking, what type of water should you use to mist you're chameleon? Filtered? Distilled? Sink/tap water?

Yeah tap water should be fine I use repty safe or what ever it's called to make sure there isn't anything in the water

I use spring water, Florida tap water is so bad even when dechlorinated still has a ton of bad stuff. I use a garden sprayer and use 6 packs of gallons I get at the wholesale club.

I was just thinking, what type of water should you use to mist you're chameleon? Filtered? Distilled? Sink/tap water?
I will suggest go to your local store like walmart,Lowe's and purchase a water purifier attached on ur sink faucet ,so u and ur chamy can both drink safely n directly from ur water sink faucet,follow the manufacturing suggestion replace the water purifier accordingly:)

A lot of people seem to say to always mist with warm water, but thats impossible when you have an automatic mister... the reservoir isn't heated. I use Repty Safe as well.

A lot of people seem to say to always mist with warm water, but thats impossible when you have an automatic mister... the reservoir isn't heated. I use Repty Safe as well.
I heat my automatic mister water reservoir with a reptile heating pad :) It only heats it to about 71-73 degrees, but that's gotta feel better than 67 :eek:

I've been thinking of adding a very small aquarium heater to the reservoir to bring the temp up more to around 80. I just haven't gotten around to experimenting yet :) And my buddy definitely doesn't dislike the misting as much as he did before.

I live in the DC area and the water is fine my mom, dad, siblings, my friends, and me drink the tap water and were fine so my cham drinks the tap water and nothing bad has happened

I would study about how your tap water is filtered and what process it goes through. In most big cities like DC tap water is usually good

You can also look up your cities water quality report :) Back when I used to run a hydroponic garden, I tested my tap water with a TDS meter and it was over 500ppm. So I stopped using tap water for anything at all lol.

I've been thinking of adding a very small aquarium heater to the reservoir to bring the temp up more to around 80. I just haven't gotten around to experimenting yet :) And my buddy definitely doesn't dislike the misting as much as he did before.
I've added a submersible tank heater to my water bucket. Keeps the water at 80* +/- Not sure what the output temp is, but as you say, "has to be better/more comfortable than unheated water." Either way, I use distilled water in my reservoir for my Mist-king. I just dump in a gallon of distilled on the weekends for .39 cents (affordable for me) and I'm set.

@MSMorgan What brand and wattage is the heater? And what size is your reservoir?! :D This will save me from having to experiment to find the best combination!
No sweat. it's a "Great choice" brand, 120v submersible pad heater I found at pet-not-so-smart. My bucket is 5 gal. I usually keep about 3 gal. of water +/- in the bucket.

:confused::confused:You know, the forum just had a very detailed discussion about water last week! Doesn't anyone read or search the forum for info anymore? Sorry, its Monday.

Once again:
Municipal tap water may or may not be safe for your cham to drink. If your tap water is treated with chemicals such as chlorine, chloramine, fluoride etc. you will want to get rid of those additives. Chlorine can be neutralized by leaving the water in a bucket overnight. The chlorine gas will usually dissipate on its own. Chloramines will not dissipate this way. You will need to add a herp-safe water treatment to neutralize it before using it. Just because YOU can drink it doesn't mean its great for your cham. Call your water utility to find out what its treated with.

Municipal tap water may or may not clog your mister nozzles or leave hard water buildup on your cage plants. "Hard" water has a high mineral content. When the water evaporates it leaves mineral deposits behind...could be calcium, iron, or other combinations. Hard water won't harm your cham, but it does leave a grungy mess eventually especially building up inside mister systems and ultrasonic foggers. You can remove it by regular cleaning with vinegar, or avoid it all together by using Reverse Osmosis filtered water or distilled water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom