water tray by LLL Reptile??

Snootchie0210

Has anyone here used the water trays sold by LLL Reptile? I'm planning on upgrading my chameleon's enclosure and I'm leaning towards the LLL Reptile enclosure if their water trays work. I have a MistKing set up but I only have it run for 45 seconds every 3 hours because I don't want it flooding up when I'm not home.

So ,basically, I want to know if:
-the tray works well with catching water? (I don't have to worry about the bottom of the enclosure or the table eventually rotting away)
-it is easy to drain the water from it? does it slide off? or does it still have to be wiped dry?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
~Ryan.

For my old enclosure, I originally bought the tray that fits inside the LLL screen cage, but realized I could not set the cage on a small table since the tray was not anchored in place. I then bought the water tray which sits under the cage rather than inside, and I highly recommend it with the following two caveats:

1. There is no built-in drainage; you will have to create it. It does not slide out and water will collect in the bottom. I cored a hole through the tray and siliconed a sink drain assembly in place and let it hang into a bucket. I also used coasters to slightly shim the back corners up so water would flow to the drain.

2. Because the LLL cage sits on top of the drainage tray, there is a gap between the bottom of the cage frame and the edge of the tray. A gap for crickets and every other kind of insect to escape through. You can either keep the bottom sheet that came with the cage in place, or fashion strip of screen to close off the gap.
If the water tray fit tighter to the dimensions of the cage, it would be almost perfect.

The under cage tray is slightly oversized to collect any water that runs down the walls of the cage. Four small holes in the cage bottom and four in the tray and they work perfectly for me. I use them on cages up to 4x3x5' and really like the ease of drainage.

Appreciate the quick reply, guys.

So, basically, I still need to step up a drainage system for it? I was hoping it was something that slides out so you can just throw the collected water in the sink. Someone should really make an enclosure like that....and mass produce it. It'll make a bunch of our lives easier. Haha.

I live in a condo. No garage. No basement. So my enclosure is right in my living room. Kinda have to keep it somewhat presentable. Can't have buckets lying around there. Hehe.

If you just want to dump it out, then as it is it will be perfect for you. Just leave the original bottom of the screen cage in place (to prevent insect escapees) and let it rest on top - just lift it up and dump out the water!

The way the tray is designed, the cage sits on top of it, so unless you want to have it drain into a bucket you don't have to modify it at all. You can just pick it up and dump it.

This pic should show you - you can see the cage frame resting on the tray frame.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

-Jen

Thank you.

I think I'll stick with just the enclosure and hold off on the tray for now. And I'll probably use the substrate tray that goes inside to collect water. I just imagine it'll be difficult to lift up the enclosure everytime I want to toss the water out being that it'll be anchored by the nozzle and the tubes of the misting system.

Thanks again for the quick replies!!

Good info. Was actually thinking of one myself. But I want a drainage system that goes straight to a bucket under that cage. Easy disposal.

Get the substrate tray. Has a 2" lip, fits inside cage perfectly and can drill a hole for drain as mentioned above.

Yep. Exactly what I want too. Their substrate tray might work. Just need to think of a way to add an extra tier/level in the enclosure. Keep the plants and rest of the stuff elevated and the tray at the bottom...so you can just pull it out and dump the water when needed.

If anybody have any suggestions....feel free to chime in.

Help with threads

Sorry for using a reply As a thread ,but I can't figure out how to create a thread or post or whatever it's called

Sorry for using a reply As a thread ,but I can't figure out how to create a thread or post or whatever it's called

Haha. All good.

Top left there's a tab for FORUM. Click on that. Then it is categorized from there (general discussion, food, health clinic, enclosures). When you enter one of those there's a "New Thread" button on the top.

I use those water trays. I have small holes drilled in the bottom of the cage and a hole drilled in the bottom of the water tray that drains into the buckets below. The cages are sitting on a wire rack.

There is usually a curtain that goes around the bottom so the buckets are not seen and it looks cute but I am redoing everything and haven't put all the finishing touches on yet.

Im on that same page just adding 2 more cages on top! Would be honored with ur input!

I use those water trays. I have small holes drilled in the bottom of the cage and a hole drilled in the bottom of the water tray that drains into the buckets below. The cages are sitting on a wire rack.

There is usually a curtain that goes around the bottom so the buckets are not seen and it looks cute but I am redoing everything and haven't put all the finishing touches on yet.

Can you take a pic of your setup when your done? I am trying to figure out if I can stack 2 18x18x36 (reptibreeze) and 2 16x16x30 (reptibreeze) on top of eachother on that same style rack system you have there... I was ready to go with it until I got to the drainage part! :/ Im reciving my mistKing this upcoming week so water is going to be an issue specially having light fixtures under 2 of the cages... The plan is 2 18x18x36 on the bottom and the 2 16x16x30 on the top. Now is the time to use the brain to see how I can make drainage work. I live in a apt and my setups are in my living room so as someone here said as well decency in the project is important! :)

Any input from anybody would be of GREAT help!!

Does anyone know of a manufactured drainage tray that made out there at all?

I have found that lll reptile has a water tray with pretty good feedback... Also google search water tray with your cage size and I believe theres another site that has them as well... They look pretty good, though Im searching my options! :) hope that helps

Can you take a pic of your setup when your done? I am trying to figure out if I can stack 2 18x18x36 (reptibreeze) and 2 16x16x30 (reptibreeze) on top of eachother on that same style rack system you have there... I was ready to go with it until I got to the drainage part! :/ Im reciving my mistKing this upcoming week so water is going to be an issue specially having light fixtures under 2 of the cages... The plan is 2 18x18x36 on the bottom and the 2 16x16x30 on the top. Now is the time to use the brain to see how I can make drainage work. I live in a apt and my setups are in my living room so as someone here said as well decency in the project is important! :)

Any input from anybody would be of GREAT help!!

I don't think there would be enough room for drainage to stack them. I'm sure people have done something similar but I think the cages on the bottom would be too low and the ones on top would be too high.

I don't think there would be enough room for drainage to stack them. I'm sure people have done something similar but I think the cages on the bottom would be too low and the ones on top would be too high.

Yea, its something to put alot of brains on... I have space on a wall for 3 chamelons and one of my breeders is giving me 1 cham for free this weekend so I couldnt refuse! ... Now I have the task to accomodate the 4th cage in the space where I currently have the 3. The only way Im seeing it possible is up. Im thinking a shelf under the top water tray that holds a thinner tupper wear for the water to fall in. (would have to empty out sooner than using a 18 gallon but it should do the trick).
And as of height the top I dont think would be a problem for them... For me a stool in case I dont reach should do the trick... But Im 5'9 so not so worried about the top so much, the bottom I would like to put it as high as possible because I understand they do need their height to thrive... Lets see how it works out... Tomorrow Ill start getting some numbers and measurements to be accurate with plan A so far.

Any suggestions will be greatley appreciated! :)

Yep. Exactly what I want too. Their substrate tray might work. Just need to think of a way to add an extra tier/level in the enclosure. Keep the plants and rest of the stuff elevated and the tray at the bottom...so you can just pull it out and dump the water when needed.

If anybody have any suggestions....feel free to chime in.

I think you will find a 24 x 24 tray of water, 1-2 inches deep will be a challenge to transport to a sink. A bucket hidden is a better option.

If you get the smaller tray, you will have water going down the screen that will get on your table/floor. The oversize one helps with this.

If you want to dump trays, you can build a PVC framework to rest the cages on, and the tray will slide right out, as the legs of the PVC pipe will land outside the tray. A member posted this recently with pictures...get some help to link the post-anyone?

Water is a key element in chameleon husbandry, I am always trying to improve my systems.

Back
Top Bottom