Water reservoir for Mistking?

Big Gulp

Established Member
I know many use a food grade bucket for their water reservoir.

I was wondering if we can use Rubbermaid/Sterelite tubs instead? For me, it'd be a better fit where my cage is. But are these food grade? I'm thinking not. Do they HAVE to be food grade?

Thanks a bunch!

I know many use a food grade bucket for their water reservoir.

I was wondering if we can use Rubbermaid/Sterelite tubs instead? For me, it'd be a better fit where my cage is. But are these food grade? I'm thinking not. Do they HAVE to be food grade?

Thanks a bunch!

I don't think that the water would be in contact with the plastic long enough for any leaching of harmful chemicals, but don't have any proof of that. If you can find something with a non-BPA liner it would be best, but I don't think it is necessary. Just my opinion :coffee:.

You can use a sterling or rubbermade bin just fine. Plastic is pretty stable unless heated to higher than bath water temperatures. I use a Home Depot bucket for my veiled and a 32 gallon garbage can for the parsons.

Another question. I've read that you shouldn't use clear containers because there's more chance that bacteria can grow since light can get in. Is this true?

All the Sterilite containers I can find in the size I want are clear.

You can help prevent it by covering it and cleaning it regularly, since bacteria can grow in opaque containers too. Wrap it with paper.

Back
Top Bottom