Water Conditioner ---OPINIONS PLEASE---

yeah i figure if the brita filter is good enough for me then its good enough for them lol

How you getting on with the Brita filter? that's the route iam going to go down! do you change your filter monthly as recommended or at a different interval?

Brita does great marketing.

But that's all they do well.

All Brita is rated to get out of the water is (taken from the user guide) http://www.brita.com/pdf/BritaUsersGuide.pdf

Copper
Mercury
Cadmium
Chloride
Zinc

This is taken from the official Brita User Guide

The Brita® Pitcher Filter is not intended to purify water.

If you filtered out ONE contaminant out of ONE THOUSAND contaminants, you can essentially, legally say that water with 999 contaminants is 'safer' or 'healthier' to drink than the original water with 1000 contaminants. Does that mean it is SAFE or HEALTHY? No, not at all. Wording is so important, and that's why Brita can get away with it.

All Brita does is reduce some chlorine compounds and heavy metals, and make the water taste good. It is designed to only remove things that affect the taste of water. NOT the quality or safety.

In layman's terms: it fools your taste buds into thinking it's clean. Which is what activated carbon does. It's just like adding salt to food.

Brita does great marketing.

But that's all they do well.

All Brita is rated to get out of the water is (taken from the user guide) http://www.brita.com/pdf/BritaUsersGuide.pdf

Copper
Mercury
Cadmium
Chloride
Zinc

This is taken from the official Brita User Guide

If you filtered out ONE contaminant out of ONE THOUSAND contaminants, you can essentially, legally say that water with 999 contaminants is 'safer' or 'healthier' to drink than the original water with 1000 contaminants. Does that mean it is SAFE or HEALTHY? No, not at all. Wording is so important, and that's why Brita can get away with it.

All Brita does is reduce some chlorine compounds and heavy metals, and make the water taste good. It is designed to only remove things that affect the taste of water. NOT the quality or safety.

In layman's terms: it fools your taste buds into thinking it's clean. Which is what activated carbon does. It's just like adding salt to food.

Ok it looks as if you seem to know what your talking about! So would you use botteled water or brita water? as not all can afford RO.

there are vending machines that you can pay 35 cents for a gallon of reverse osmosis water..just look at the machine it will tell you what it filters..dosent cost much..i use them for my misters..

You can get great reverse osmosis filtration for under 200$, which ends up costing less than constantly using a Brita. The ones I recommend are the 5 Stage Goldline Reverse Osmosis. In Germany, I'm sure there are many great options for you. Germany is like 10 years a head of us :) You can also get some 2 or 3 stage reverse osmosis filters for under 150$.

I wouldn't recommend any other bottled waters than Aquafina.

High iron content destroys some filters, and most filters won't get rid of any microbiologically unsafe critters in your water. So it's good to find out what's in your water, and then buy a filter based on what you find.

Edit: the post above is right, you can get gallons and gallons of pure water for fairly cheap at the vending machines inside grocery stores or outside water businesses. Just make sure you disinfect your bottles, clean your cooler reservoir, and discard the water jug after it's been refilled 40 times (then the plastic starts to wear down exponentially and you can get some nasty chemicals in there).

I purchased a small distiller for around $80 which can distill a gallon in 5 hours. For me, with my one little chameleon, that's more than enough. I don't even run it every day. I hope to get a new chameleon in the next few months so will need more clean water, but that just means running it more.

My big bugaboo is fluoride. I really believe (meaning, I have no proof) that they don't tolerate it well and as my city fluoridates, I clean my water.

Any such investment in hardware will ultimately repay itself. In my case, we do buy filtered water for drinking, but if I added my chameleons needs to that it would mean making my husband do an extra trip to the water store every week. I figured the $80 investment paid itself off in about a week by avoiding that issue entirely.

I've read distilled water leaches minerals, the bad kind, but it makes me wonder if it will get any of the good kind, either.

Back
Top Bottom