Watch thse sandblasted grapevines

GarynTampa

I've had my inside enclosure set up for a month now and purchased a large EXPENSIVE sandblasted grapevine for a basking spot.

This morning, I noticed a dark brown pile of small powder like substance on 2 of my ivy leaves directly below one of the basking branches.

Looks like tremite poop or some other kind of boring insect poop.

I washed the grapevines off before putting them into the enclosure, but there is someting going on inside the wood.

I sure don't want Rango to get a mouth full of this "powder".

Guess I'll take out the wood and oven bake it to kill whatever is in there!

Anyone seen anything similiar?

Gary
Tampa, FL

I had the same thing happen, even after I baked the wood for an hour after I bought it I saw some piles of wood particles appear on the floor of my enclosure a few months later. I decided to take out the wood and put it in a rubbermaid to see if what was inside would emerge. After a few days 2 beetles appeared in the bottom of the bin, they looked like the beetles you see if your superworms pupate, so I just assumed they were the result of superworms that didn't get eaten and found a way to eat the grapewood.

I don't like to use sandblasted grapevine for cham cages because it is also prone to mold. It's pretty soft wood so will absorb moisture constantly.

Do you have a larger freezer? Freezing new wood will kill boring insects.

Back
Top Bottom