Was told male when I got him, but thinking female now

Ronandex317

When I bought my Cham from the pet store, they told me he was a male. Being a first time owner and previous to me finding this site, I had no reason to believe they didn't know anything about what they were selling and holding. However I'm now thinking I have a female. Could I have some help identifying? And if he is a she, what different care is needed?

Attachments

• IMG_3061.JPG
    IMG_3061.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3062.JPG
    IMG_3062.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 180
Care is the same as far as lighting and such, but she can develop eggs without being mated. That is the biggest difference between male and female. They can lay infertile eggs from about 5-6 months on so you will need to set up a laying bin in your cage for that. Check under chameleon breeding and you will see a instructional video on how to set up the bin properly.

Care is the same as far as lighting and such, but she can develop eggs without being mated. That is the biggest difference between male and female. They can lay infertile eggs from about 5-6 months on so you will need to set up a laying bin in your cage for that. Check under chameleon breeding and you will see a instructional video on how to set up the bin properly.
Alright cool. Thank you. I'll take look at that thread to make sure I do everything right for my little girl. Thank you

once she matures a little more there is something I would add to her care that differs from a male is, I would lower her basking temps down to the mid to lower 80's rather than the 90's used for the males, and bring her food intake down to about half that you would feed a male. This will decrease her egg production, and extend her life. Laying eggs really takes a toll on them.

This was uncalled for.
Well now I'm the bad guy ... I'm sorry by all means take anyone's advice no matter there chameleon death to life ratio. My bad by all means I'm on chameleon forums banded doorstep yet I still feel the urge to say what I feel... open it and push me geez. Opinions are like chameleon fecal samples... we all have them and need to take them to our vets... only difference is I will take mine... people who neglect chams won't care enough to... smh... I wont be pushed away.... band maybe... but not pushed to go away. Just saying. I don't believe it was uncalled for. But from what I understand this is a free forum. Am I right @Peachypink

hi

i am also new
could you guys help me tell if my cham is a female was told she a male but i see no spurs also i will post pics of the cage i just re did it today to give more horizontal basking she seems to like it but now i see her mouth open when. basking maybe it to close to lights. before the redo she would climb to a hi point on a stick to get close to lights this perch is no closer then that was

thanks for help on my first post

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 139
hi

i am also new
could you guys help me tell if my cham is a female was told she a male but i see no spurs also i will post pics of the cage i just re did it today to give more horizontal basking she seems to like it but now i see her mouth open when. basking maybe it to close to lights. before the redo she would climb to a hi point on a stick to get close to lights this perch is no closer then that was

Can you get better pic of back feet ? Looks to be a little girl . How old is she ? You will need a laying bin if you don't have one .

that's the back of the rear foot

if she is femail do i leave the lay bin on the bottom all the time it says it has to be moist to let her dig a tunnel or just when i think she has eggs by watching how she behaves

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 112
Yes you have female , leave it in there all the time . You want to make sure she can make the tunnel with out collapsing . Also make sure there's a branch that goes though it just in case it was to collapse she can get out .

hi

i am also new

It's a little girl but don't be a thread jacker (poor etiquette) start your own thread with your concerns. Welcome to the forum BTW

Well now I'm the bad guy ... I'm sorry by all means take anyone's advice no matter there chameleon death to life ratio. My bad by all means I'm on chameleon forums banded doorstep yet I still feel the urge to say what I feel... open it and push me geez. Opinions are like chameleon fecal samples... we all have them and need to take them to our vets... only difference is I will take mine... people who neglect chams won't care enough to... smh... I wont be pushed away.... band maybe... but not pushed to go away. Just saying. I don't believe it was uncalled for. But from what I understand this is a free forum. Am I right @Peachypink

No, you are not right. You have a right to post freely here on the forums, but there are rules. I believe I have referenced them in a PM recently. @Peachypink was correct questioning the deleted post. Ironically, the very next post in your personal attack of a newer member was followed by another new member that is here to learn. They likely have no desire to see your constant hijacking of threads and borderline rated R responses. The reason these new members come here is because they want information or a social site for those who care about these animals. Attacking those who don't immediately agree with us might not be the best example of a free forum as you yourself stated, now would it?
I do not want this to seem as I am targeting you, but I must consider what your comment would look like to someone searching this thread a few years from now. I wouldn't feel too comfortable sticking around with that type of atmosphere.
If you would like to continue this, please do so with a PM to me and I will be happy to discuss it with you.

once she matures a little more there is something I would add to her care that differs from a male is, I would lower her basking temps down to the mid to lower 80's rather than the 90's used for the males, and bring her food intake down to about half that you would feed a male. This will decrease her egg production, and extend her life. Laying eggs really takes a toll on them.
I have lowered temps down do about 85 basking and once she hits a year (only about 4 months now) I'll reduce her feeding. For now I want her to grow nicely on lots of tastes food. Thank you so much for the help and I'll be for sure to remember to cut back on good as she grows!

Another question now that I know I have a girl, at what age should I put a laying bin in her cage? Also, how high/low should it be. I'll be looking up dementions and what not for it in some other threads unless anyone knows them off hand

Another question now that I know I have a girl, at what age should I put a laying bin in her cage? Also, how high/low should it be. I'll be looking up dementions and what not for it in some other threads unless anyone knows them off hand
There should be one in there always they can lay as young as 4 to 6 months . It need to be at lest 8 inches deep 12 is better . Make sure its moist . She needs to be able to tunnel with out it collapsing .

Back
Top Bottom