Warning - Worming Chameleons

While we're here, the reason the vet told your aunt that her dog should stay away from horse's ivermec is because the dose is much more concentrated for horses and dogs can be easily overdosed by such concentrated doses. Many people see the same drug name and don't pay attention to concentration so there are lots of instances of people dosing their dogs with horse ivermec since they have it already and it causes severe illness or death. It's just the difference in concentration that's the concern, not the drug itself.

Collies and some other herding breeds have a genetic predisposition to being sensitive to ivermectin due to lack of a liver enzyme to metabolize it properly. I could go on about it, but it'd probably be boring. PM me if you'd like to know more. :D I just wanted to clear up that issue real fast in case people were curious.

Yes, Panacur is one of the safe more effective drugs for chameleons. I should have asked for this instead of letting the vet inject Panomec. If only I had known then what I know now.

I used this to treat my adult Meru Jackson's for parasites and they both died 2 and 3 days later with immediate decline right after administration. I have heard other problems with Panacur and this species. I will not treat any further Jackson's, unless they show symptoms.
I have convinced myself to try the xantholophus subspecies again, since I had previous success with them years ago.
Chameleons are so sensitive to things even within different species, that it's hard to figure out what to do sometimes.

Ivermectin does not kill dogs... I give my rescue dogs a dose every month to prevent heart worm disease. It is the cattle wormer used in the states. In the case of dogs eating dung of recently wormed horses...it is the quanity of drug that kills not the drug

Back
Top Bottom