Warm water to mist ?

Hey got a question what if you wrapped one of these around it in theory would it not keep it warm and block out light? Also would not have to worry about filling everyday

Attachments

• C8F35048-2822-4454-9B4F-22A3BAAF9067.png
    C8F35048-2822-4454-9B4F-22A3BAAF9067.png
    470.7 KB · Views: 92
I’m going to go ahead and piss off all the previous posters!;)

“Warm” water should never be used in a chams enclosure. Water in a misting setup should NEVER exceed room temperature at the nozzle. Chams are cold blooded, we are warm blooded. Water that feels warm to us is HOT to them.

Let the hate begin!

So, sorry to disappoint you @Brodybreaux25 , but you are correct! :D You want to use room temperature water water for misting. Warmer temps will lead to better conditions for bacteria to bloom, and also, for those who think our chameleons are cold blooded and need warm water because of this, you are thinking too much like a warm blooded animal. Think of how animals get thermal burns from our lighting. They are not feeling things the way we do and they do not know that one spot is getting too hot if they feel that they need to be warmer. As for cold water, no I would not use it, but room temperature or just below is what I would use. Warmer than that can actually be a big problem for your chameleons.

I have in the past used a heater in my reservoir to bring the water up to the normal temp that I have year round (during the winter) but don't even do that now. It just isn't necessary. Think of an afternoon thunderstorm in nature. As it rains the temps fall. Why? Well the rain comes from an area that is much cooler than the surface. That is how I view misting. It isn't like a shower for us humans :)...

So, sorry to disappoint you @Brodybreaux25 , but you are correct! :D You want to use room temperature water water for misting. Warmer temps will lead to better conditions for bacteria to bloom, and also, for those who think our chameleons are cold blooded and need warm water because of this, you are thinking too much like a warm blooded animal. Think of how animals get thermal burns from our lighting. They are not feeling things the way we do and they do not know that one spot is getting too hot if they feel that they need to be warmer. As for cold water, no I would not use it, but room temperature or just below is what I would use. Warmer than that can actually be a big problem for your chameleons.

I have in the past used a heater in my reservoir to bring the water up to the normal temp that I have year round (during the winter) but don't even do that now. It just isn't necessary. Think of an afternoon thunderstorm in nature. As it rains the temps fall. Why? Well the rain comes from an area that is much cooler than the surface. That is how I view misting. It isn't like a shower for us humans :)...
You’ve got to stop agreeing with me, I’m starting to get bored!

That's a great input, I've never heard that before so thank you! However, I live in Chicago, so all spray bottles, humidifiers, etc., get very cold during the winter, so the water in any bottles kept next to the enclosure actually get to as low 60 ish degrees, since they are not inside the enclosure where it is nice and warm under the heat bulb! I use an aquarium thermometer to gauge the temperature of the water I use just to be sure!

Back
Top Bottom