Warm mist humidifier?

I know people have posted about humidifiers and recommend cool mist but I am not sure if it would be better than warm mist for my situation. I am going to put necco(8-9 mont veiled) in my room in a few weeks. It is a small room and the humidity is pretty low. I would put the humidifier across the room to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Would cool mist still be a better option? I already have a warm mist humidifier and I would hate to get a new one but I will if it is necessary.

If you are not pumping it directly into the enclosure, and it brings up the humidity where you want it I think it would be fine. It's only when you're pumping into the enclosure that a cool mist humidifier is recommended that way it don't mess with the temperature gradient that much. Most prefer to pump it directly into the cage for better control, and you don't have to humidify an entire room. :)

Ditto.

Cool mist is typically recommended where the humidifier is put directly next to the enclosure to avoid burns from the hot steam. My Jax would cling to the screen right in the depth of the mist - it was very funny. If you are just using for general room humidity and not directing it into the cage, warm mist is fine.

I can confirm what everyone is saying, I use warm mist about 8 feet away from my enclosure since my guy is in a fairly small bedroom by himself and it keeps it humid, but I know there is no chance he will get burned.

<sighs> Think about bacteria growth when you increase the temp in water like that for prolonged periods of time.

Yes, one of several reasons I use a "cool mist" or ultrasonic type. Both types will need periodic cleaning but I'd suspect the warm mist will need it more often. Considering also that I don't need the warmth why waste the energy to make it? I don't know whether a "warm" type will go through water faster than a cool mist type but it may not be that much different.

If I had a dollar every time somebody said they would clean something daily I'd be up my armpits in Parson's. Use a cool mist if you have the choice.

Warm water = a need for plenty of air flow. Lack of such helps grow molds and bacteria. You are just thinking of bacteria in the machine, hence saying you'll clean it daily. I'm thinking about the room itself among other things. It's what I do.

If I had a dollar every time somebody said they would clean something daily I'd be up my armpits in Parson's.

But, but, but I'll clean the water fountain/bowl/substrate/whatever every day! Shucks, mister, I promise I will!

It's not only a downside of the warm mist humidifier - you can over humidify a room with the ultrasonic type. We like it super humid in the bedroom, so I spend many a Saturday cleaning the inside surfaces of the vinyl windows... Mold loves vinyl!

If your humidifier doesn't come with an antibiologic growth feature for the heating reservoir, you can do a few things. Get an ionic silver stick or button to put in the device (in the olden days, I used to use a couple of real silver dimes to slow down the algae/mold) or put a table spoon of some cider vinegar in it every other day or so. For the room, position the humidifier away from outside walls and windows to minimize spot condensation and try to keep the overall ambient conditions at no higher RH than 50%.

For humans, recommendations for cool mist are to clean the tank and surfaces every three days with 3% hydrogen peroxide or a mild bleach solution, and for warm mist it's once a week. Something I hate doing but follow to the letter all winter long so as not to take chances with my asthma.

I have an aeroswiss ultrasonic humidifier with a filter and an ionic silver stick. It was expensive but it's an amazing humidifier. We've had it for 4 or 5 years now, where I feel like we were buying a new $50 every year before.

That is out of my budget for a humidifier. I will probably just get a regular cool mist.

Yeah, it was definitely not cheap. I originally said no, but the hubby insisted. As usual, he was right :D If you keep the vibration disk clean from mineral build-up, a cheaper one should work well for you - much better than a cheap warm mist where the heater element goes kaput.

I have an aeroswiss ultrasonic humidifier with a filter and an ionic silver stick. It was expensive but it's an amazing humidifier. We've had it for 4 or 5 years now, where I feel like we were buying a new $50 every year before.
Please excuse my stupidity, but I'm a little confused aren't all cool mist humidifiers ultrasonic?

Please excuse my stupidity, but I'm a little confused aren't all cool mist humidifiers ultrasonic?

Not a dumb question at all. You can get evaporative cool mist humidifiers - they typically use fan-driven evaporation to create the humidity, whereas ultrasonic humidifiers actually use high-frequency waves. (The only disadvantage in my mind to the ultrasonic ones is that they also propel any mineral content in the water into the air and it settles as a fine white dust on everything around the humidifier. Not a big deal, I just have to dust more.)

Science!
http://home.howstuffworks.com/humidifier4.htm

Not a dumb question at all. You can get evaporative cool mist humidifiers - they typically use fan-driven evaporation to create the humidity, whereas ultrasonic humidifiers actually use high-frequency waves. (The only disadvantage in my mind to the ultrasonic ones is that they also propel any mineral content in the water into the air and it settles as a fine white dust on everything around the humidifier. Not a big deal, I just have to dust more.)

Science!
http://home.howstuffworks.com/humidifier4.htm
Thanks for the clarification. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

Back
Top Bottom