Wanting to get rid of my crickets

I hate the way crickets smell & the noises they make & how they jump everywhere. I just don’t like anything about them. Does my Cham need crickets? Could I switch to Dubai’s as my main feeder? Are Dubai’s hard to keep?

I would try orangeheads over dubias. They're so much better imo, my chams eat them more often than dubias. I don't use crickets, but I have like 7 species of roaches or something, plus all the regular bsfl, silks, hornworms, etc. Plenty of feeders out there, crickets aren't needed. They just make a simple staple though I avoid them for their potential to carry parasites/bacteria. Roaches actually have strong immune systems and prefer fresh food. Surprisingly they are the cleaner feeder and much less likely to carry anything harmful. Though be careful of feeding any off that have ever been fed cat/dog food as that's a recipe for gout with their ability to store uric acid. Some people can be allergic or develop allergies to their frass as well, so try not to touch your face or anything and wash your hands/use gloves when handling.

Our Jackson took one Dubai, and then went to the top of his cage and wouldn't touch them. Had to dig them out the next morning and go on to the next , was really hoping to have those as a staple as well, but we will see when he's a bit larger as well.

I know the crickets smell is enough to induce dry heaving in the am....I'm just grateful I don't have to smell it at night as well.

Get banded crickets, they don't smell. As for feeding roaches, I just offer them until they eat them.
I’ve been buying medium banded crickets since they don’t stink but they still do :( I’ve had to start cleaning my tote every morning because I walk in the room & all I smell is bug. I only have about 30 & keep up with it fairly well so I’m just going to give up on them

Our Jackson took one Dubai, and then went to the top of his cage and wouldn't touch them. Had to dig them out the next morning and go on to the next , was really hoping to have those as a staple as well, but we will see when he's a bit larger as well.

I know the crickets smell is enough to induce dry heaving in the am....I'm just grateful I don't have to smell it at night as well.

I think I am going to buy about 20 & see how it goes & if he doesn’t like I’ll probably let them go outside. Haha yes. I cannot take the smell any longer!

We had them in the bathroom for a while but it was starting to remind me of a porta potty so they had to go. Now they stink up my living room closet

I would try orangeheads over dubias. They're so much better imo, my chams eat them more often than dubias. I don't use crickets, but I have like 7 species of roaches or something, plus all the regular bsfl, silks, hornworms, etc. Plenty of feeders out there, crickets aren't needed. They just make a simple staple though I avoid them for their potential to carry parasites/bacteria. Roaches actually have strong immune systems and prefer fresh food. Surprisingly they are the cleaner feeder and much less likely to carry anything harmful. Though be careful of feeding any off that have ever been fed cat/dog food as that's a recipe for gout with their ability to store uric acid. Some people can be allergic or develop allergies to their frass as well, so try not to touch your face or anything and wash your hands/use gloves when handling.

Wow! I wish I were able to have that many options for my little guy. (“Forgot” to mention to the landlord we have a pet) I’ve been researching & researching before I just start buying different roaches but they definitely seem like the cheaper & better option in the long run! Do they die as often as crickets or do the live a while with a good home? I’ve read people becoming allergic & stole a box of gloves from work so I can try to be prepared.

Do you buy your feeders online? I’ve been looking at joshsfrogs.com but want to look at other websites as well

I think I am going to buy about 20 & see how it goes & if he doesn’t like I’ll probably let them go outside. Haha yes. I cannot take the smell any longer!

We had them in the bathroom for a while but it was starting to remind me of a porta potty so they had to go. Now they stink up my living room closet

Please, don't let any type of insect, or animals, out if you don't want them anymore. Even if you think there's no chance of them surviving you shouldn't just let them out.

Are you sure you've been getting banded crickets and they weren't just labeled that? Get crickets from ghanns(online), I would buy 500+ at a time and literally the only thing you'd smell is the cardboard. If there was enough space, ventilation, and no rotting food they absolutely didn't smell at all. I have a good sense of smell, and my wife gets crazy about bugs and she even didn't say anything. So maybe give them a try?

Most roaches do not die nearly as easy and can live a couple years depending on species. You can buy them online from a lot of places, I like fullthrottlefeeders

The roaches I know do live a long time. I have had one of my adult female dubias for about a year now, and she still look very healthy. When I started with dubia, their enclosure was small and bare and they smelled. Now that they have a feeder dish and egg flats and a much bigger container, the only smell is of the cardboard. I did own crickets at one time, and they were the same way. It depends on their care.

Please, don't let any type of insect, or animals, out if you don't want them anymore. Even if you think there's no chance of them surviving you shouldn't just let them out.
Theyre just bugs. There’s more to come. I’d never let an animal go outside because I didn’t want it anymore.

Are you sure you've been getting banded crickets and they weren't just labeled that? Get crickets from ghanns(online), I would buy 500+ at a time and literally the only thing you'd smell is the cardboard. If there was enough space, ventilation, and no rotting food they absolutely didn't smell at all. I have a good sense of smell, and my wife gets crazy about bugs and she even didn't say anything. So maybe give them a try?

Most roaches do not die nearly as easy and can live a couple years depending on species. You can buy them online from a lot of places, I like fullthrottlefeeders

Thanks you! I will definitely check them out. I’ve been buying them from a local store so you’re right, there’s no telling if they’re true banded crickets. I think I’m going to try more ventilation while waiting for the roaches to come in. Thanks again for your help!

At least in my experience, the banded crickets don't stink as long as the container they are in is ventilated and you don't have excess moisture. They need a water source, some people use water crystals but I use 8oz deli cups cut down to only a 1/4" or so tall with a paper towel folded in it to prevent drowning. If you dump huge amounts of vegetables in there, the moisture will build up, it will stink, and all the crickets will begin dying. That will also happen if you spill water or get the cardboard wet. If you want clean crickets, use banded, keep them dry except for the water bowl and egg laying site. The roaches are great too of course and I do agree that roaches are in general hardier than the crickets. Crickets short life cycle is a blessing and a curse. You can produce enormous numbers of small crickets extremely fast but they don't last as long either and if you live in an apartment you probably don't want something that chirps.

Back
Top Bottom