Wanting a Veil

dKNzt

Hello All,

I have some questions I've been getting mixed answers for online, Can you guys please help me out and confirm some things?

Which is better to have a fogger or mister? Or perhaps both?
When is the proper time to mist/fog (before turning lights on and off, how often every so many hours through out the day and for how long)

How long do you run UVB and Heat light for? (I've seen 10 hours both, Also seen 6 hours heat 10-12hrsUVB)

Reason I'm asking is because I just want to make sure I get things right the first time and not have to adjust things or put a Veil at any health risk for issues.

Thanks!

Hello All,

I have some questions I've been getting mixed answers for online, Can you guys please help me out and confirm some things?

When is the proper time to mist/fog (before turning lights on and off, how often every so many hours through out the day and for how long)

How long do you run UVB and Heat light for? (I've seen 10 hours both, Also seen 6 hours heat 10-12hrsUVB)

Reason I'm asking is because I just want to make sure I get things right the first time and not have to adjust things or put a Veil at any health risk for issues.

Thanks!
Mist for 2 min, three times each day. Mister and fogger both work great. I run a fogger at night for 2 minutes every 2 hours or so for natural hydration. I turn my cham’s light on around 9 am and turn it off as well about 9 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Hello All,

They are 2 different things. IMO, everyone could benefit from an automated mister, but depending on how well you can control nighttime humidity, a fogger may not be needed.

I don't have a fogger because a few nighttime misting sessions achieve the lower temperatures and higher humidity my panther needs. Each situation is different.

Foggers should only be run at night, and only if temperatures drop sufficiently for the particular species.

Misting... depends. At least twice per day—usually at/near lights-on and lights-off. I run once mid-day so drinking water is nearly always available.

We get that. Thing is, not everyone does it the same, and that can work.
There's nothing wrong with running all lights (plant, basking, UVB) 12 on/12 off, but some do run their basking & UVB less.

I run my basking the full 12 hours, but my cham only sits under it for a couple few hours as/when he needs/wants to.

I run his UVB for 10 hrs.—from an hour after lights-on until an hour before lights-off. I do this because:
  1. The Earth's atmosphere blocks most UVB early and late in the day, and
  2. It extends the UVB bulb life by ~2 months.
1637529421415.png

Arnold Schwarzenegger No Prob GIF

Hello All,

Thanks!
Hi and welcome! :) I LOVE that you’re here asking questions and seeking to make everything perfect before getting a chameleon! You’ve already been guided to Chameleon Academy. That is THE source for all things chameleon! It is the most accurate and up to date information and what we all go by, with great success. Another fantastic resource is Neptune the chameleon on YouTube. Reading all of the posts here on CF is another great way to learn. Of course asking as many questions that you have is also wonderful and we love helping new keepers get everything just right so they’ll have a happy and healthy chameleon.

Thank you for the input, I have bought some stuff already including a fogger but I've been thinking of returning it and getting the mister instead. I live in california and I have my setup up and running, I've been testing the fogger out and it doesn't really get super low tempetures in my room where I will have my Chameleon at. I have a 75G fish tank in here so i'm sure the heater of that acts as a natural temperature balance for the room

Thank you for the input, I have bought some stuff already including a fogger but I've been thinking of returning it and getting the mister instead. I live in california and I have my setup up and running, I've been testing the fogger out and it doesn't really get super low tempetures in my room where I will have my Chameleon at. I have a 75G fish tank in here so i'm sure the heater of that acts as a natural temperature balance for the room
I think that makes sense—at least until you get a handle on your temperatures & humidities.
Most here will recommend either MistKing or CliMist; they're pricey, but worth it due to flexibility and reliability.

What species chameleon and what type & size enclosure (all-screen or hybrid) do you have—or are you thinking about?

I think that makes sense—at least until you get a handle on your temperatures & humidities.
Most here will recommend either MistKing or CliMist; they're pricey, but worth it due to flexibility and reliability.

What species chameleon and what type & size enclosure (all-screen or hybrid) do you have—or are you thinking about?
I was gifted this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...arium-essentials-kit---30-gallon-5290983.html
Veil
I have wonders about the UVB Bulb. Is this bulb good or not good at all? If so can you please recommend me a decent budget light for UVB

I was gifted this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...arium-essentials-kit---30-gallon-5290983.html
Veil
I have wonders about the UVB Bulb. Is this bulb good or not good at all? If so can you please recommend me a decent budget light for UVB
The enclosure is too small. You'll want a 2 foot by 2 foot by 4 foot enclosure. A hybrid of glass and screen is fine as long as you're getting airflow.

For lighting you will want a linear T5HO fixture with a 5.0 reptisun bulb or a 6% arcadia bulb.

This is the fixture I use: https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-9...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

and this is the bulb I use: https://reptilighting.com/collections/arcadia-uv-b-lights/products/t5-high-output-uv-b-lights

Veil
It's really too small for a veiled.
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Some argue about young vs. adult or male vs. female. All chameleons are equipped from birth with everything they need to survive in the great outdoors from whence they hail, so there's really no valid reason for starting with a smaller-than-adult sized enclosure.

The problem with the height of that enclosure (24") is (IMO) twofold.
  1. Chameleons are by nature shy arboreal creatures who are most comfortable when their basking site is at or above eye level. This may be more difficult to achieve than with a taller (e.g. 48"H) enclosure.
    https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/
  2. With only 24" of vertical height, subtracting 6-8" from the bottom for plant pots (and stems/trunks), and 8-12" from the top for space between the ceiling/UVB and the basking site leaves only 4"-10" for foliage.
A recommended 24" x 24" x 48"H enclosure allows 28"-34" for foliage. Some will argue smaller pots, mounting them off the floor, etc., but it's still going to be a squeeze vertically.

I agree with cutting losses and selling the smaller enclosure, and don't beat yourself up over it. These are not the easiest pets to care/provide for, and we all make mistakes in the beginning.
Alternatively, you could keep it in case you get the reptile bug and eventually get another smaller reptile. It would be great for most geckos (except a Leechie).

I'm not sure which UVB bulb you're referring to. If it looks (physically—forget the specs) like either of these...
1637723594142.png
1637723651225.png

it's the wrong type for a chameleon.

As others have mentioned, a linear T5HO UVB—Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% are appropriate. (Arcadia has some other designations, but they are not intended for chameleons.) The UVB should run the entire length of the enclosure.

For a fixture... As it happens, all of the fixtures that look like this one are made by Shenzen Sunlight Lighting Co. (OEM) in China, and all are virtually identical.

1618240919804.png

• Arcadia Pro T5
  • Biodude T5HO
  • Carolina Custom Cages T5HO
  • Hydrofarm "Jumpstart"
  • Sunblaster T5HO Nanotech
  • Vivarium T5
  • and Others
... so shop for price.

Because there are so many vendors of these lights & bulbs, prices may vary due to sales, covid, supply-line issues, and other factors. It may even be difficult to find one right now—IDK. 🤷‍♂️
IMO it's worth a few extra dollars to get the proper lighting and have a healthy animal than pinching pennies and risking MBD.

You can find more here: Chameleon Supply List & Shopping Guide

I was able to pick up a ReptiSun T8 Hood with a Reptisun 5.0 UVB Bulb today.

The enclosure will have to do for a few weeks until I order one next week. My Cham is very small. I don't see a issue with this at the moment for a week or two until a new 2x2x4 cage is ordered.

I was able to pick up a ReptiSun T8 Hood with a Reptisun 5.0 UVB Bulb today.
That'll work, but T8 is older tech. It's not as powerful, so distance from bulb to basking site will need to be (roughly) halved, and the bulb replaced (roughly) twice as often.

Back
Top Bottom