Want to make/buy an outdoor enclosure

Don't know about the netting! Depends how you want to cover it. The 2m will probably be easier to work with as you wouldn't have to cut it as much!

That sounds about right for just the frame, but you'll need another 2 uprights, and 2 horizontals for the door, so you'll need another 144", but that depends what you want the door to be like! The door I'm suggesting will be 24"x48", so one whole side. You can make it smaller if you like, but it'll make it hard to get the cham in and out.

Cage design idea

I had a spare moment so I drew this design up for you (I've been playing with this software a lot while I'm designing my build so it didn't take long - hence why it looks a little rectangular!) I don't know how good you are at woodwork or what tools you have available, so I went for the simplest idea I could.

First thing :- build the top and bottom fames using the brackets to join the bits together (the brackets are the black things) - you can make it look much neater by cutting the edges at 45 degrees and join them face to face (I'd probably still us the brackets as the wood is only 34mm thick so it won't take as many screws as you'd need to build a really solid frame)
Next :- cut the main uprights and use the brackets to join them to the top and bottom frames - put all the brackets on the uprights first, then fix the uprights to one frame, then the other - ie stand it on the floor, do all the bottom screws, then flip it and do all the top (now at the bottom)
Lastly :- make the door frame using the brackets again and put the hinges on one side and join it to the main frame (on the outside edges, otherwise it won't close properly!)

That'll build you the main skeleton, then you just have to add the netting and whatever means of closing the cage you want (latch, catch, etc...)! :D

I hope that helps. As I said, I don't know how confident you are, so I've probably made it overly simple, but its just a base to work from!

Any q's just ask! All the best with it

p.s - you don't have to use as many brackets as I have if you think you can join it a better way, but they come in packs of 30 for about £3 on screwfix, so it seems silly not to use them all! :D

Attachments

• Cage idea.jpg
    Cage idea.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 152
wow thanks for the help man. That is pretty much the idea I had except I was thinking make the door say 3/4 the size of the whole frame and then add a supporting bar across the middle. Your idea looks good though so I may just go for that :)

one last thing though, could you help me find them brackets on screwfix? Thanks mate

No problem mate! The bottom bit support bit isn't a bad idea, but it'll make it tricky when trying to move stuff into and out of it etc (as you can just move whole plants in and out instead of having to try and twist them and stuff - we've all been there!), but you would save a lot of wood that way! Here's the link: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11529...races-Zinc-Plated-25-x-25-x-16-5mm-Pack-of-10
They're only the smallest ones so they're pretty cheap. It's in the section: Ironmongery - Brackets - Brackets then they're all there! Have a look around and you'll find everything on there! Building heaven! :D

Any more q's drop just drop me a line! More than glad to help!

Go to your local outdoor screening co. Like pool/patio screening and draw out what you want and they will build you the most amazing outdoor cage for less than $50. I did it and was amazed and he said it was very easy for him to build so you could posibly get it for less.

Back
Top Bottom