Want to buy Panther that likes to interact

kwilmot

I would like to purchase a panther for my 40th birthday. Please advise best way to find the perfect baby. I want one that will want to interact with me. Ive read to buy around 8-9 months old but is that too late for the interaction then. I have a 11/12 month veiled and she is awesome but doesn't really like to come out and talk to me. So I am looking for a male panther. And I would like to find the best enclosure as well so I need to know where to buy and where/what enclosure to buy. All help is welcome. Thanks.

Well whether he comes out and plays is entirely up to him no matter which species you get. They are as individual as you or I. Even though some are prone to be more docile like the Jackson's it still doesn't mean it will be your buddy. In fact out of all the chams I have owned in the last twenty years I can only think of three that actually wanted to be on me. And only one female veiled I would say was my buddy.

But hey good luck panthers are known to be less aggressive than veiled maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. ;)

We got our first Panther recently, a 14 month old Diego Saurez.
We chose a sub-adult, rather than a baby as his individual personality was appealing to us and this isn't apparent when they're very young.
He seems to have taken a shine to me and will often climb onto my hand and up onto my head when I'm misting his viv and is generally pretty happy hanging out on me, he even reaches back for me when my oh offers him a hand/arm walkway or if I try and put him in the big ficus tree in our lounge :)
I'm not under any illusions that he likes me or is bonded in any way, It's just a bonus that he chooses interaction and it doesn't stress him.
Could finding an adult with a laid back personality, rather than a baby be an option for you? I know as a rule many chameleons are stressed by handling, so it's very much pot luck with babies.

We got our first Panther recently, a 14 month old Diego Saurez.
We chose a sub-adult, rather than a baby as his individual personality was appealing to us and this isn't apparent when they're very young.
He seems to have taken a shine to me and will often climb onto my hand and up onto my head when I'm misting his viv and is generally pretty happy hanging out on me, he even reaches back for me when my oh offers him a hand/arm walkway or if I try and put him in the big ficus tree in our lounge :)
I'm not under any illusions that he likes me or is bonded in any way, It's just a bonus that he chooses interaction and it doesn't stress him.
Could finding an adult with a laid back personality, rather than a baby be an option for you? I know as a rule many chameleons are stressed by handling, so it's very much pot luck with babies.
I would have no problem buying an adult. Where do I find one though? That seems to be the hard part?

I'm in the UK, so not sure I can be of help there?
We found Diego through a private ad on a pet site, literally googled "panther Cham for sale" and it popped up along with ads with babies for sale,
I don't think you should have much trouble in finding an adult that someone wants to rehome as they're pretty high maintenance little beings ;)

Just dont get a vailed usually they are dicks. Panthers can be trained as babies, spend time with them, be easy with them and eventually they will come around. Chameleonsonly.com is very good with their chams, everyone i know who has got a cham from them is super friendly. Its hard to tell there personality as babies but like i said spend time with them and they will get used to you. Theres some good forms on how to train them, it just takes time

I'm in the UK, so not sure I can be of help there?
We found Diego through a private ad on a pet site, literally googled "panther Cham for sale" and it popped up along with ads with babies for sale,
I don't think you should have much trouble in finding an adult that someone wants to rehome as they're pretty high maintenance little beings ;)
what kind of chameleon is the one you have as your profile?

He's a male Panther - sold to us as a Diego Suarez, but don't have any proof to back that claim up :)
I think kwilmot is asking what locale? Looks like ambilobe, but I'm really not too familiar with too many,as there are dozens upon dozens of locales of panther chams right?

I will say what many will say. Chameleons aren't really the best reptile to own if you're wanting to take it out and mess with it.

That being said, as suggested before, there are some species that seem to tolerate being handled, but again there isn't a rule-- it's up to the chameleon really.

Mostly (again, some seem to not mind) chameleons get very stressed out when handled so it is suggested to do it to a bare minimum.

I don't want to sound harsh, but it is the truth.

Chase

I think kwilmot is asking what locale? Looks like ambilobe, but I'm really not too familiar with too many,as there are dozens upon dozens of locales of panther chams right?
Sold to us a Diego Suarez locale, since that is almost impossible to verify, he could well be Ambilobe mix.

Out of all the species of chameleons, I feel panthers are your best bet for having one develop a bond and trust with you over time. I would recommend getting one that is a little younger (3-4 months) so that you have the extra time as they grow up for them to learn who you are and that you bring them food and a way to get out of the cage. Every chameleon is different but most panthers turn out friendly and don't mind the human interaction once they are older.

As for cages, I have to recommend Dragon Strand as they are the best around! We offer them with all our complete setups. I would be more than happy to help answer any questions you might have so feel free to message me or even shoot me an email [email protected]

My panther is definitely more laid back about handling, he jumps on my arm the minute I open the cage door. I don't usually hold him for long periods of time though. I find a free-range tree is a great way to "hang out" with your chameleon without stressing him out. Put a large ficus in the living room and he can be a part of the family! Just make sure other pets aren't around and you keep an eye on him.

I would like to purchase a panther for my 40th birthday. Please advise best way to find the perfect baby. I want one that will want to interact with me. Ive read to buy around 8-9 months old but is that too late for the interaction then. I have a 11/12 month veiled and she is awesome but doesn't really like to come out and talk to me. So I am looking for a male panther. And I would like to find the best enclosure as well so I need to know where to buy and where/what enclosure to buy. All help is welcome. Thanks.

IMHO, a more realistic way to view this is to consider that chams are not really social, but they can be more or less tolerant of handling. They are still going to regard you as an intruder to their territory...either a familiar one that isn't a threat, or one they just don't want to deal with. The majority are not looking for affection as they are not wired to desire that from another being. Don't take this personally, its just the way they are. No, getting one 8-9 months old isn't too late to teach it to be more social. One that age is going to demonstrate a bit more of its adult personality. I have never felt that the age at which you get one determines whether it will be "friendly" or not, but obviously a cham that has grown up in the same household with a routine and familiar people has a better chance to be a calm accepting adult. There is a real range in their personalities...some who just remain stressy, shy, or surly over their entire lives.

If you check the Chameleon For Sale forum, I've just listed my last female Panther. I hatched her from an egg & she's been handled by me & my 3 daughters a little at a time.

She's just 3 months old & very sweet. She likes to crawl up your arm, and use your ear to get on top of your head. Lol!

She already gets into stealth mode when I bring her breakfast each morning.

She will make an excellent companion if your interested. PM me if you are.

I have a full set up and vitamens. Look on my page posts. 290 and ill ship it to you.

Back
Top Bottom