Want to be a new owner plz help :)

makeupartist

Hello everyone!
I am wanting to be a owner of a Panther Chameleon! " pretty excited but a bit concerned". I have never owned a Chameleon before so i know im going on a HUGE limb with the Panther but i am wanting something bright and beautiful. I am more of a frog person as i take care of African green tree frogs AKA Dumpy Whites:D " i LOVE my frogs", but im wanting to move on to something bigger and better! I take VERY great care of all my animals and give them the proper care and environment. HOWEVER since I am new to the Chameleon world i need some opinions on it. I have heard there very hard to take care of and you cant hold them at all, but then i hear to hold them once a day to calm them and there not hard as long as you have there temp and food and etc.. right.? Sooooo yeah lol HELP!:eek:

Hello and welcome to the chameleon forums, a great place to learn about chameleons. I'm attaching my blog for you. It will give you everything that you'll need, a link to show you a picture of it and where you can buy it. Anytime you have questions please ask and you can get allot of help here.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Thanks :) i'll check your blog out and to be honest a Reptile Convention is coming to my town in April so that is where i will buy mine at but i just want to make sure im up for all the care and learn all i can before that day :)

Handling can go both ways. The animal may tolerate it, the animal may not, and some animals even seek out human interaction. Dont expect yours to be "friendly" though. The majority of chameleons are more of a look-dont-touch kind of pet. Weekly handling is usually fine with most chameleons though, so you CAN handle them. It might just be less often than you would prefer.

Repticon Greater Charlotte Reptile & Exotic Animal Show~ This is where i will be buying mine :) does anyone know of great breeders that go to these shows? or are they for the most part trusted?

I dont see any breeders that I know of on the vendor list. You should probably get yourself aquainted with what to look for when purchasing.

-nice, round eyes
-alert
-good grip
-mouth looks oaky and not bubbly or gunky
-toes and tip of tail look normal
-no wounds
-fully functional tail
-straight limbs with normal 90 degree bends in the joints (no MBD)
-fat pads are nice and rounded
-look for poo in the cage, be sure the urates are white or mostly white

Quiz the seller too. Ask when the last time it recieved D3 and vitamins was. What kind of food it has previously eaten? What sort of lighting and housing? Did it have a substrate? If you are buying a baby, ask how the seller knows its a male or female. What kind of guarantee do they have? Will they replace the animal if they had mis-sexed it? what locale is it? If they accidentally mixed up the locale will they replace the animal with the correct locale? Stuff like that.

Since you are "thinking ahead" you should get your enclosure set up before buying the animal. Read the links kinyonga posted. It's better to have the "home" waiting for the inhabitant.

As has been noted, plan on this being an animal you "view". Some will be your friends, others won't. Plan for being routinely scorned. I find it amusing. Maybe if you try to see it that way it will help.

I dont see any breeders that I know of on the vendor list. You should probably get yourself aquainted with what to look for when purchasing.

-nice, round eyes
-alert
-good grip
-mouth looks oaky and not bubbly or gunky
-toes and tip of tail look normal
-no wounds
-fully functional tail
-straight limbs with normal 90 degree bends in the joints (no MBD)
-fat pads are nice and rounded
-look for poo in the cage, be sure the urates are white or mostly white

Quiz the seller too. Ask when the last time it recieved D3 and vitamins was. What kind of food it has previously eaten? What sort of lighting and housing? Did it have a substrate? If you are buying a baby, ask how the seller knows its a male or female. What kind of guarantee do they have? Will they replace the animal if they had mis-sexed it? what locale is it? If they accidentally mixed up the locale will they replace the animal with the correct locale? Stuff like that.

awesome stuff to know thank you!:)

Back
Top Bottom