Wait or no?

Jakeelias93

Hello all, im new and just wanted to see what your opinions might be. Im for sure getting a panther chameleon but just like any buyer i want the coolest looking panther (tamatave or ambilobe, havent completely decided) for the lowest price. Currently there are panthers at my local pet store the serpentairium for 250 a pop for ambilobes. and im trying to figure out if i should get a baby ambilobe for 250 or wait for a reptile show sept. 28th. will panthers be cheaper at the expo than the store? i would think so but idk. what do you guys think.

My experience is that the more you try and save money the more it ends up costing you- chameleons are not cheap- hopefully you've done some research on care - If so you'll know that getting a healthy chameleon is way cheaper than a sick one - If your pet store isn't keeping it's chameleons in a healthy habitat and knows little about care it could end up costing you in vet care later. In either case find out where the chameleons comes from before you buy one - It may be that they they are wild caught or they may have a local breeder who takes care to raise healthy babies. If you haven't already find out how to spot a healthy one and what to look out for. I got my panther in the classified on this site- with local pick up (and he actually delivered so that he could check my set up) He's been healthy -
The best way to save money on a chameleon is to read the care sheets and make sure you listen to the experts and to try and make as few newbie mistakes as possible- hope this doesn't sound like a lecture, I'm not an expert I'm just someone who's made a few newbie mistakes ... like going for the cheaper monsoon mister- and having to get a new one 4 months later when it broke - you can save a bunch by getting the right stuff first and not spending on crappy gutload or substrate or the wrong lights and the wrong supplements

i would search the classifieds and site sponsors.
you know what you are getting when you buy from a reputable
breeder here on the forum:D:D:D

Me personally I'd go with a site sponsor a reputable breeder on this forum like what dom said. The reason why is because chams might get handled and stressed out more than necessary at reptile shows. I'm not saying that its bad but i would just prefer to get mine shipped or picked up. Be sure to keep a extra $100 or 2 on the side because your future cham will need a check up sick or not.

yeah, I definitely see everyone's view. the money saving is a very good point. but u would like to think I'm not a noob when it comes to reptiles. when I looked at the baby Panthers at the store they were alert, not skinny, their eyes were nice and full, but I also realize they could have parasites. I'll check the breeders on the site and keep in mind everything you guys have said. thank you

Back
Top Bottom