W0W That Was Quick!

Wykd

Established Member
Banshee just got here yesterday, I went in at lunch to check on the cham's. I couldn't find her anyplace. She wasnt up in a plant on a branch and not in her enclosure based laying bin. So I look around some more slowly and she was climbing out of a small hole on the back side of the umbrella plant.

I would of left her but i did not want to deal with trying to excavate eggs from that planter, I need to replant the umbrella, its maxxed out in the planter and no dig room its all root.

So while she crept up slowly I pulled out my 18x18x36 and oversized planter and set that up off in the corner. When she came up and for a while I took and placed her in the laying bin enclosure. I then pulled out the umbrella and started to check and she had dug down about 7-8 inches already but had ran into the side of the planter and i guess stopped.

So my question is I just leave her in that enclosure till she doesn't look fat anymore basically correct? She will be dirty and laying some place exhuasted looking is what I understand.

Do i need to leave the uvb light on her thru the night or normal 12 hr shifts, etc? This will be my 1st cham clutch and want to make sure I do everything right for her. I was expecting her to lay but not within 1st cpl of days.

Attachments

• DSC_1225.jpg
    DSC_1225.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 151
Wow! Good job you knew what to do! You can give her light for a bit longer if she's digging but she will need to sleep at done point and may just sleep in the bin and start again in the morning.

Has she stopped digging now that you've seen her? I would leave her alone as long as possible so she doesn't abandon laying all together.

Good luck! :)

yeah she is not happy she just arrived and is now already moved out of the enclosure, must be confusing. I removed all of the branches in there except for the tree.

Poor you guys :( such bad timing! Hopefully she will just start to dig again for you. Eggs are such a worry!

I would say that if you notice that she is digging, and laying, keep the lights on. Make sure you leave her alone now, she could stop laying, and become eggbound. After you notice she has come from her hole, and has covered it up, give her a nice, long, warm shower, and give her some food.

Oh- make sure you remain calm! :D

-Chase

No do everything normal...they will do what they need to in daylight hrs. I personally don't ever interfere with digging in any way. If they are digging in something I don't want them to or not...if they are digging they know what the want and what they are doing and I leave them to it. They LOVE to lay in roots too so...

But now that you have moved her just leaver her to it try not to check on her and keep light cycle the same. She will look thinner but the dead give away is she will have dirt on her head...but since she has already been digging she might already have dirt on her head.

I didnt stop her digging she came up on her own and left the hole open. Thats when i went to work setting up the laying bin enclosure and moved her over.

I guess I just leave her in there till she lays them since she had started to dig in the other enclosure and run everything as normal then, feeders, water, lights, etc?

Just not 100% on this part as i have read some differing posts and want to keep her healthy while she is in there to do her business.

well i think she is digging to China been down at it since 9am digging.

I had to put her back in her enclosure this morning @ lights on. She refused to even touch down into the laying bin enclosure. So I put her back in her normal enclosure because she had started digging there 1st. Sure enuff she got some water looked around and went right down to the dirt. Even in front of me. I put a towel up though for her privacy.

I was really hoping she would use a laying bin vs the plant potter. I had been careful though and planted the umbrella in bit oversized pot so she will have the room to do her work at least. Just sucks for me because that means pulling the big arse umbrella out of the enclosure when she is done and dig thru it carefully. And of course she is digging right under the plant into the roots, as everyone said she would do. lol

Any advise for someone who has hands so large that xl gloves don't even start to fit? Being 6'4 sounds cool but its a curse at times, I am not very gentle and worried I will crush the eggs as I dig for them.

well i think she is digging to China been down at it since 9am digging.

I had to put her back in her enclosure this morning @ lights on. She refused to even touch down into the laying bin enclosure. So I put her back in her normal enclosure because she had started digging there 1st. Sure enuff she got some water looked around and went right down to the dirt. Even in front of me. I put a towel up though for her privacy.

I was really hoping she would use a laying bin vs the plant potter. I had been careful though and planted the umbrella in bit oversized pot so she will have the room to do her work at least. Just sucks for me because that means pulling the big arse umbrella out of the enclosure when she is done and dig thru it carefully. And of course she is digging right under the plant into the roots, as everyone said she would do. lol

Any advise for someone who has hands so large that xl gloves don't even start to fit? Being 6'4 sounds cool but its a curse at times, I am not very gentle and worried I will crush the eggs as I dig for them.

I will come help you. I have girly small hands and am practiced at this. Might take a few days for me to get a flight.;) sorry you are back on your own/.

Now real advice, go get about a 1 or 1 1/2 inch paint brush. It needs to be semi stiff. Gently start almosy dusting the dirt away. When you get to the eggs, you do know not to change the orientation of them correct? Make sure all your media is ready for the eggs. Let us know how it goes. Gook luck.

well she is starting to worry me guess its 1st time jitters here.

She is back up in the pothos dirty as can be and still fat. So when the lights went out I took out the umbrella plant to check it out, and no less than 6 holes were dug today and all of them about 7-8 inches

I gently scooped out dirt and as I got closer to the bottom I started to do the brushing technique, which is about when I was supposed to? No eggs found, I think the fact that she was trying to dig down around the roots and kept hitting the root ball and stopped and tried a different spot and each time she kept hitting the roots and stopped.

I am go to try putting the 2.5 gal bucket w/small palm in her enclosure that she had no interest in earlier while in the laying enclosure. I am hoping that she will attack it with the same interest she showed the umbrella plant since its in her enclosure now. If this does not work, I do not know what to do. She is not going to be able to dig thru the roots in the umbrella plant pot, but thats all she seems interested in.

I know she is getting tired she dug all day from the looks of it and hopefully day 3 will be the lucky day!

Stop with the plants!! That is unless you really want to dig in the roots.:rolleyes: Just get her a large bucket of sand and leave her to take care of her business. A 5 gal half full of sand with a stick so she can crawl of of the sand . Put a screen over the top so she doesn't crawl out of the bucker.

Have not tried that. Will try today. I wasnt wanting her to go in the main planter..... thats her refusing to use the laying bin. The soil is same as the plant potter its just the privacy i guess sje feels bing in the plant provides and she isnt getting that feeling with the bucket itself.

ii would not move her around too much just put the bucket in the encloser dont change anything but that and cover her and let her be she will do her stuff whether in roots bucket samnd soil as long as sjhe can tunnel and has privacy she is good. Next timejust be prepared with a nalternative right away i use a rubbermaid tub fill it almost half and cut a hole in the lid for a light uvb only this is the only time i move them. Leave her in there till she is done privacy privacy privacy thats the key imo

ii would not move her around too much just put the bucket in the encloser dont change anything but that and cover her and let her be she will do her stuff whether in roots bucket samnd soil as long as sjhe can tunnel and has privacy she is good. Next timejust be prepared with a nalternative right away i use a rubbermaid tub fill it almost half and cut a hole in the lid for a light uvb only this is the only time i move them. Leave her in there till she is done privacy privacy privacy thats the key imo

I had 2 alternatives prepared... how much more prepared can you be. :rolleyes:

• In tank laying bin with same soil as plants 13 deep
  • Trash can with 13inchs of sand and a plant/branch
  • Oversized potted plant in 50/50 soil sand mix inside a covered 18x18x36 enclosure

She just refuses to do anything unless its in her enclosure and in the soil around the umbrella plant.

She refuses to touch down off the 1 branch in the 5 gal bucket that is screened and inside the bigger trash can and full of privacy.

Guess she either lays them in the 5 gal bucket or goes to the vet monday morning. I am not taking touching her or disturbing her till then. So the only light she will get is from the room itself and no water uvb etc... just complete isolation. The room is around 76-78 at the moment and itself is at 50% humidity, so now its just a waiting game because i am not going to budge and change her again.

Back
Top Bottom