VOHEMAR Chameleon with MBD updates

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
Less than a month ago I bought this male Vohemar from a horrible shop here in Broward county called THE JUNGLE FLORIDA.
I posted some photos bragging about him. And a few knowledgeable members mentioned (correctly) that it looked like he had MBD

Attachments

• 20210118_160755.jpg
    20210118_160755.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210119_110137.jpg
    20210119_110137.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 127
I immediately took him to the TV famous Broward Avian and Exotic. My longtime vet for my tortoises anyway. And Dr Pardini did an Xray and drew blood to check for Calcium and Phosphorus levels. All of which confirmed the MBD.
In fact. A lot of the bones were so fragile that they didn't show on the Xray.
But no bone breaks!
I was sent home with oral Calcium drops and two syringes

Attachments

• 20210122_095742.jpg
    20210122_095742.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210122_103642.jpg
    20210122_103642.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210122_132733.jpg
    20210122_132733.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 92
Yesterday I went back. And the new Xray already shows an improvement in bone density and the blood calcium levels are within a normal range.
In this newer photo, his tail is still dark from the blood draw.
His mobility is much improved as is his food targeting skills. His weight is up and his colors are brighter. Hopefully because he's in less pain.
He will get his oral medicine for at least another month along with his UVB dialed in at 3 and dusted, gut loaded crickets. With the D3 dust applied once a week.
Dr. Pardini and I are very hopeful that he can grow strong and live a healthy, long life.
(With ZERO support from THE JUNGLE FLORIDA)

Attachments

• 20210227_114053.jpg
    20210227_114053.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 112
He's still recovering and he still has an issue with his tongue:
He doesn't shoot it out very far or very fast. Instead he'll crawl halfway inside the feeder cup and nab his insects at almost point blank range.
It works for him.
I just find it odd. But then again, he's been unwell the whole time I've owned him.
I've only seen him shoot out his tongue twice. And he missed.
I suppose he's saving his energy?

That is awesome he is improving. The tongue is affected by the hyoid bone which is tiny. He will likely never be a great shooter, but who cares as long as he can eat. You know you are doing something right when you can turn them around like that.

We go back to see Dr. Pardini again next Wednesday the 17th.
I'll take photos of the newest xray. (If I can)
Thanks for the information about his tongue.
The last time he shot it out. Maybe 3 weeks ago, he had issues with getting it back in his mouth. He looks fine. His mouth and tongue LOOK ok. But there is clearly an issue. And your comments about that bone seem to fit perfectly with my observations.
He does still eat very energetically also.
If I've been successful in stopping the progression of the MBD, I'm confident that he can still live a long, relatively normal and pain free life.

@ZEROPILOT said..."The last time he shot it out. Maybe 3 weeks ago, he had issues with getting it back in his mouth"...if the tongue shoots out and he can't retract it then it will have to be amputated and will be considered an emergency, of course.

It might be better to not have him shoot it out fully for a while so this can't happen. It's a "catch 22" situation. Not shooting it doesn't exercise it but may give it time to "heal" but shooting it gives it exercise and may stop it from getting weaker.

@ZEROPILOT said..."The last time he shot it out. Maybe 3 weeks ago, he had issues with getting it back in his mouth"...if the tongue shoots out and he can't retract it then it will have to be amputated and will be considered an emergency, of course.

It might be better to not have him shoot it out fully for a while so this can't happen. It's a "catch 22" situation. Not shooting it doesn't exercise it but may give it time to "heal" but shooting it gives it exercise and may stop it from getting weaker.
He isn't "free range" fed at all.
Everything he eats, he just grabs out of his cup within a few inches of his face with a quick flick of the tongue.
No long distance strikes.
This won't be an issue.

Last edited:
We just got back from BROWARD AVIAN AND EXOTIC and Dr. Pardini.
His bones show an astounding 85% normal density!
I'll continue treatment for another 2 months. Then he can live the rest of his life in relative health.
Bent bones and all

Attachments

• 20210317_104205.jpg
    20210317_104205.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210317_104156.jpg
    20210317_104156.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210317_104011.jpg
    20210317_104011.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 86
The 2nd photo really shows how bent his arm long bones are.
That poor thing.
Thank you once again FORUM MEMBERS for catching that in time.
This PROVES that prior to my purchasing him, he was not kept correctly.
The Xrays explain how bone density can be restored and MBD can be stopped. But the damage is mostly permanent.
Those bent bones are now almost perfectly strong again.
He would've eventually died.
Now his outcome looks good.
And I'm very happy about that!

With his newly restored health, he's developing a new personality.
He's very cranky.
Maybe he's tired of me constantly bothering him to give him his liquid calcium?
For a little guy with bent bones, he's pretty fast on those branches too!
He's beginning to get around like a healthy, mean Panther.

I'm very unhappy to report that in the months I was away from the forum, my sickly Chameleons health took a turn for the worse and he passed away after suffering from a fall in his cage.
This really sucks.
He and I fought as best as we could. But he just couldn't recover from the terrible start he got in life.
RIP little buddy!

Back
Top Bottom