Vitamin A

1. Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

20months male ambilobe Panther chameleon. He's been with me one week.

2. Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Whenever I feel like it.

3. Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Have had to force feed him crickets.

4. Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Rep cal phosphorus free calcium with d3(see pic) Only done it twice as that's all I've feed in last week. But will be 2 time a month. Than every day regular calcium once he's better.

Rep cal herptivite with beta carotene multivitamins(see pic). Will be doing this 2 times a month with the d3 calcium as that's what instructions say.

5. Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Mist in the morning heavy and 3 hours before lights out. 12 on 12 off. No he hasn't drank on his own I had to drop into is mouth than he started to lap it up.
6. Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Normal poop. And no hasn't been tested to my knowledge.

7. History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Unknown

8. Cage Info:Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

2x2x4 reptibreeze enclosure. See pic

9. Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

UVB reptisun 5.0 t5 high output
Basking fixture and bulb
12 on 12 off

10. Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

80 Basking 75 center 73 bottom. Temp prob at Basking spot. Temp gun rest. 75 night temp.

11. Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

50% plus highest reached is around 80%. Hydrometer to measure. Hand misting in morning and 3 hours before lights out.

12. Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

He has one live plant Scheffleura and vines.

13.Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Sons bedroom. Only used every other weekend. 8 feet from a blocked off air vent. Enclosure sits on the floor.

14. Location - Where are you geographically located?

London, Ontario Canada

15. Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Lathargic, closed eyes, when he opens them he only opens the left and can see puss. Sunken in whilst sleeping budged out while awake.....

Went to vet yesterday has NO respiratory infection. Prescribed eye drops ciloxan (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) 0.3%. I am to administer them 2 times a daily 12 hours apart. So 7am 7pm. He also gave me Baytril 50mg to use if drops don't work. I asked if there is possible vit A deficiency and he said it's possible.... So said give 12,000u and repeat in 7 days......

Looking for input from others to what kind of vit A to use and if u think anything else.......

Supplements
epytadu9.jpg

Enclosure
meheda5a.jpg

Pics of chameleon eye
uju6ajy3.jpg
upyba4ub.jpg
bymenyqa.jpg
ze9ahare.jpg

I'd use Rephashy Calcium Plus on feeders every feeding for a week, then taper off to twice a week for a month, then once a week for maintenance.

I'd also make sure that the only source of water in my cricket bins is fresh carrot chunks for awhile. That way, the crickets have to eat the carrots for moisture. The best way to provide vitamin A is by gut loading feeders.

Looks like an eye infection to me, specifically nasolacrimal duct obstruction. Did the vet flush the duct?

The vitamin A will support treatment, but you need a good herp vet.

Last edited:
I've had my fair share of eye problems with my 4 Chams and that doesn't look like a deficiency to me. The swolleness of his eyes look like he's bulging them out to get a foreign object out of his eye. Maybe try flushing his eyes with saline solution or elongating his mistings? But if you noticed that there was puss in his eye, I would say that his eye has some sort of infection and you need to see a reptile vet to get antibiotic eye drops.

I'd use Rephashy Calcium Plus on feeders every feeding for a week, then taper off to twice a week for a month, then once a week for maintenance.

I'd also make sure that the only source of water in my cricket bins is fresh carrot chunks for awhile. That way, the crickets have to eat the carrots for moisture. The best way to provide vitamin A is by gut loading feeders.

Looks like an eye infection to me, specifically nasolacrimal duct obstruction. Did the vet flush the duct?

The vitamin A will support treatment, but you need a good herp vet.
No the vet didn't flush the duct. He didn't want to stress him out anymore. Guess that's partially why the eye drops..?
I've had my fair share of eye problems with my 4 Chams and that doesn't look like a deficiency to me. The swolleness of his eyes look like he's bulging them out to get a foreign object out of his eye. Maybe try flushing his eyes with saline solution or elongating his mistings? But if you noticed that there was puss in his eye, I would say that his eye has some sort of infection and you need to see a reptile vet to get antibiotic eye drops.
Vet gave me eye drops to administer.

Back
Top Bottom