Vitamin A deficiency?

Jayden Rice

My baby veiled, Comma, has been keeping his eyes closed for about a week now. It started out as just one for a few weeks, and has now progressed to both. I read somewhere that they tend to do this when they aren’t getting enough vitamin A. Since he won’t open his eyes, he’s unable to eat or drink, so I’ve been watering him and feeding him carrots mixed with a small amount calcium through a syringe morning and night in an attempt to keep him healthy. I bought some beta carotene capsules, but the gel inside doesn’t mix with water and is too think to mix into food. Nothing I’ve done so far has seemed to help. Any suggestions or information is appreciated!

Attachments

• BC2D5068-6132-4DDB-A6F1-4A1E195744F4.jpeg
    BC2D5068-6132-4DDB-A6F1-4A1E195744F4.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 171C9CFC-B779-4F3B-9785-525CA3E9B03A.jpeg
    171C9CFC-B779-4F3B-9785-525CA3E9B03A.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 675886E1-24B3-40EF-90CD-C796CB68C006.jpeg
    675886E1-24B3-40EF-90CD-C796CB68C006.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 54BE11F9-595D-4D2C-AA88-4756FD377B12.jpeg
    54BE11F9-595D-4D2C-AA88-4756FD377B12.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 63
first, chameleons arent creatures that like to be held a lot. only hold him if he climbs to you

dont feed mealworms, they are fatty and can cause impaction, stop feeding carrots too many can cause impaction.

does your calcium have d3 in it because you should be dusting with d3 only twice a month, multivitamin twice a month and calcium without d3 every feeding, this may be what is causing the eye problem, vitamin deficiency and d3 overload

his basking spot should be 85 to 80, not the ambient temp.

is your bulb compact? you need a linear because the compact uvb wont produce enough uvb

your cage will eventually need to be a 2x2x4 ft cage

and lastly i would recommend you read the veiled chameleon care sheet under the resource tab

your chams eyes closing is probably a sign of over supplementation.

first, chameleons arent creatures that like to be held a lot. only hold him if he climbs to you

dont feed mealworms, they are fatty and can cause impaction, stop feeding carrots too many can cause impaction.

does your calcium have d3 in it because you should be dusting with d3 only twice a month, multivitamin twice a month and calcium without d3 every feeding, this may be what is causing the eye problem, vitamin deficiency and d3 overload

is your bulb compact? you need a linear because the compact uvb wont produce enough uvb

and lastly i would recommend you read the veiled chameleon care sheet under the resource tab

Thank you. The calcium I use does not have d3, but the guy load I've been using does. That may be the problem, so I will look into switching. The carrots are pureed so I didn't even think about the possibility of impaction, but I will for sure stop if that's the case. I am using a compact bulb right now, but ordered a T8 ReptiSun 5.0 linear today. Do you think that will be better?

Your vet can get you a product called Carnivore Care. It is a food syringe feeding. It is a very good short term solution for chameleons that need force feeding or help eating.

Thank you. The calcium I use does not have d3, but the guy load I've been using does. That may be the problem, so I will look into switching. The carrots are pureed so I didn't even think about the possibility of impaction, but I will for sure stop if that's the case. I am using a compact bulb right now, but ordered a T8 ReptiSun 5.0 linear today. Do you think that will be better?
definitely will be better, the compact wont give enough light so that's probably what is causing his eye problem

Can you explain your comment about carrots and impaction?

Please study the veild caresheet. Your Cham is very malnourished, fish flakes are not an acceptable feeder diet or gutload. Try cricket crack or Bug Burger.

Back
Top Bottom