Vitamin a amounts

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I wondering what are the numbers/amount the IE of vitamin A pro(?) fromed. Meaning not betacarrotein that is gonna be broken down into vitamin A but vitamin A itself. For mountains species at different stages of their life. Is there any study on this?

I wondering what are the numbers/amount the IE of vitamin A pro(?) fromed. Meaning not betacarrotein that is gonna be broken down into vitamin A but vitamin A itself. For mountains species at different stages of their life. Is there any study on this?
Unfortunately, vitamin A is still a mystery. It’s not even clear how wild chameleons get their retinol. I know of no study that even hazards a guess as to the particular retinol requirements for a given species. I’ll link you a blog below. It’s long, verbose and clearly written by some in love with themselves, but the bibliography might be a useful place to start:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/the-current-state.2432/

Unfortunately, vitamin A is still a mystery. It’s not even clear how wild chameleons get their retinol. I know of no study that even hazards a guess as to the particular retinol requirements for a given species. I’ll link you a blog below. It’s long, verbose and clearly written by some in love with themselves, but the bibliography might be a useful place to start:

The author is quite insane, but does assemble the evidence well

@Kaizen is correct. There is no literature for any species of chameleon available.
Even the ratios that the supplements use of various fat soluble vitamins seems to be picked out of thin air. Which is important since both A and D can affect each other’s mechanisms for gene transcription and function

Thank you. I guess I just sprinkle a bit or give them a drop and try to hit the lower amount in relationship of what it would have become toxic when supplementing vtamin A.

Zoomed seems to go with ten times the iu of vitamin D. Iu= international units not entirely sure what these are to be perfectly honest 😅

Thank you. I guess I just sprinkle a bit or give them a drop and try to hit the lower amount in relationship of what it would have become toxic when supplementing vtamin A.
One safe and proven method here is to use a multivitamin such as “repashy calcium plus LOD” or “arcadia revitalize” once per month, in combination with an insect feeding regiment that incorporates a ton of different carotenoids. The latter is in hopes that chameleons can in fact cleave some or other carotenoid into retinol. And the former is a way of hedging, since both products have low levels of preformed vitamin A, and are very unlikely to cause hypervitaminosis when used sparingly, once per month.

Unless you are treating a specific problem related to a history of a poor diet I would go with the supplement routine mentioned above and not go off the map with a pure vit A dose. If I was going to use just vit. A I would only do it once. It lasts a long time in the body and correcting the symptoms of a deficiency will happen slowly. More is not better.

Last edited:
you said..."I wondering what are the numbers/amount the IE of vitamin A pro(?) fromed. Meaning not betacarrotein that is gonna be broken down into vitamin A but vitamin A itself...the form of vitamin A that builds up is PREformed. Vitamin A from beta carotene/carotenoids is PROformed. Think of it the way...Performed is already formed ...so "pre" formed.

You said..." For mountains species at different stages of their life. Is there any study on this?"...I don't know of any. There rent enough studies don't on vitamin A in any chameleons sadly.

Back
Top Bottom