Vit D+K

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I read a few things about this, and I personally take a vitamin D+K supplement. I don't have any links atm, I have so little time, but figured I'd make a post because I feel this could relate to our chameleons as well. My very simple understanding is that vitamin K helps vitamin D place calcium where it's supposed to go(bones) rather than leaving calcium deposits around the body which in people can cause blockages/heart problems. I believe it makes vitamin D safer, especially if you'd accidentally overdose it or give it more frequently.

Please, any scientists/doctors/people that know more about this, correct me if I'm wrong or post anything you know about this. I just found it interesting.

Hey @jamest0o0 ...this is for humans but is likely the same in reptiles...
https://canprev.ca/blog/dynamic-duo...MIhqvEgOmN8AIV5IFbCh2_zwjHEAAYAiAAEgK2ZPD_BwE
"As a cofactor, vitamin K2 activates an important protein called matrix GLA. This important protein that prevents vascular calcification. That is, it keeps calcium from depositing in soft tissues, organs and blood vessels."

"In the final step of this journey, vitamin K2 is called upon again to activate another important protein called osteocalcin. This protein helps deposits calcium and other minerals where we intended: in our bones."

Thank you @kinyonga ! That's what I was thinking. I feel this, if dosed properly, could make frequent d3 supplementation(especially in cases of permanent free ranges where it's hard to spread out enough uvb) safer and more beneficial. I think I read that K+D even helped remineralize bones in people with osteoporosis and the eldery.

"Vitamin K comes in two forms — K1 and K2. Vitamin K1 is found primarily in green, leafy and cruciferous vegetables. Vitamin K2, which is predominantly produced by bacteria, is further divided into subgroups named MK4 to MK13. these are found in some dairy products, pork, poultry and fermented foods"....
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/do-you-need-vitamin-k-supplements-for-your-bone-health/

Yup I did hear this, my supplement I take is K2. Usually from animal products

Back
Top Bottom