Vit. A

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just got back from the vet. Drake is not shooting his toung and vet said looks like vitamin A deficiency. I have been using Repashy Calcium plus LoD until about a month ago when I switched to earth proA. He got a vit.A shot and recommend switching back to Repashy Calcium plus.
We will see if things change in about a week.?

@Beman you have been using this for a while, do you supplement with preformed A? Just switched and I haven’t given any preformed A to my guys.
Yes, I have always supplemented with a preformed A. Reptivite without D3 was what I used to use 2 times a month. I have a solarmeter to dial in my UVB levels so I was not supplementing with any form of D3. Now I use the revitaliseD3 that Arcadia came out with. It has low levels of D3 but it also has preformed A. The only supplements I use are all Arcadia now.

You can not use earth pro A as an only supplement. It must be paired properly. Either with the revitalizeD3 that Arcadia just released that does have A in it or something like repashy calcium plus lodD two times a month.
I have been using earth pro A and reptivite plus D3 twice a month. Guess I'm not getting any vit. A.

I have been using earth pro A and reptivite plus D3 twice a month. Guess I'm not getting any vit. A.
Well unless the Vet ran blood work to actually confirm it was an issue of vitamin A, I would be concerned it is something else.... Do you have a solarmeter to check the output on your UVB lighting?
Because Reptivite with and without D3 both have preformed A in it.

Well unless the Vet ran blood work to actually confirm it was an issue of vitamin A, I would be concerned it is something else.... Do you have a solarmeter to check the output on your UVB lighting?
Because Reptivite with and without D3 both have preformed A in it.
No blood test taken and yes I do have a solarmeter and level is at 3 my lighting is height adjustable so I can raise or lower at will.
He may be getting some A from the twice monthly reptivite but maybe not enough. Hopefully that's the problem because that is an easy fix.

No blood test taken and yes I do have a solarmeter and level is at 3 my lighting is height adjustable so I can raise or lower at will.
He may be getting some A from the twice monthly reptivite but maybe not enough. Hopefully that's the problem because that is an easy fix.
I wish they would have taken blood to be sure of it being a Vitamin A issue. I suppose you will know if the shot helps...
I will say I successfully used EP-A at all feeds and then reptivite without D3 two times a month with Beman. You should consider buying the revitaliseD3 that arcadia just came out with since it has vitamin A.

3uvi at basking is good.

Just looking at the numbers

repashy Lod
Vit A 176,000 IU/kg
Vit D3 17,600 IU/kg
Vit E 1760 IU/kg

Reptivite w/ D3
Vit A 220,264 IU/kg
Vit D3 22,907 IU/kg
Vit E 2200 IU/kg

Repshy Calcium plus
Vit A 440,000 IU/kg
Vit D 44,000 IU/kg
Vit E 4400 IU/kg

we’re you using LoD daily then switched to Earthpro-a Daily and Reptivite w/ D3 twice monthly?

new plan is Calcium plus daily?

I wish they would have taken blood to be sure of it being a Vitamin A issue. I suppose you will know if the shot helps...
I will say I successfully used EP-A at all feeds and then reptivite without D3 two times a month with Beman. You should consider buying the revitaliseD3 that arcadia just came out with since it has vitamin A.

3uvi at basking is good.
I was actually thinking of that when reading your comment. Yeah if there is no improvement then I will dig deeper.
Are you purchasing revitalizeD3 from dragon strand?

Last edited:

repashy Lod
Vit A 176,000 IU/kg
Vit D3 17,600 IU/kg
Vit E 1760 IU/kg

Reptivite w/ D3
Vit A 220,264 IU/kg
Vit D3 22,907 IU/kg
Vit E 2200 IU/kg

Repshy Calcium plus
Vit A 440,000 IU/kg
Vit D 44,000 IU/kg
Vit E 4400 IU/kg

we’re you using LoD daily then switched to Earthpro-a Daily and Reptivite w/ D3 twice monthly?

Old method was repashy calcium plus LoD daily and reptivite w/D3 twice a month
Switched to earth pro-a daily and reptivite w/D3 twice a month
Going back to old method

3uvi at basking is good.
From what I’ve read about testing Vitamin A levels, the most accurate levels come from liver biopsy. This is obviously somewhat difficult, invasive, and has potential morbidity associated with it.

Apparently serum levels can be tested, but require special preparation, sending to certain labs of which there’s only a few in the country, and there’s wide variability in serum level “normal“ values. I would also guess it’s expensive

there may be a vet around that could chime in on testing vitamin A levels

From what I’ve read about testing Vitamin A levels, the most accurate levels come from liver biopsy. This is obviously somewhat difficult, invasive, and has potential morbidity associated with it.

Apparently serum levels can be tested, but require special preparation, sending to certain labs of which there’s only a few in the country, and there’s wide variability in serum level “normal“ values. I would also guess it’s expensive

Sounds like that would put a big hole in your wallet real quick?

Yeah your correct it can be run with blood but there are only certain labs that run them.

Last edited:

repashy Lod
Vit A 176,000 IU/kg
Vit D3 17,600 IU/kg
Vit E 1760 IU/kg

Reptivite w/ D3
Vit A 220,264 IU/kg
Vit D3 22,907 IU/kg
Vit E 2200 IU/kg

Repshy Calcium plus
Vit A 440,000 IU/kg
Vit D 44,000 IU/kg
Vit E 4400 IU/kg

Hey this is the RevitaliseD3 how does it compare... I am not very good at all with this stuff lol. I think it runs much lower then the others you posted?

IMG_5354.JPG

From the chameleon academy podcasts with John Courteney Smith he did not want to release a product with fat soluble vitamins that he wasn’t sure would be safe if someone decided to use it daily.

Apparently this is what Arcadia decided was safe

It’s quite a bit lower than the the others
Revitalize
Vit A 50000 IU/kg
Vit D3 5000 IU/kg
Vit E 150 IU/kg
From the chameleon academy podcasts with John Courteney Smith he did not want to release a product with fat soluble vitamins that he wasn’t sure would be safe if someone decided to use it daily.

Apparently this is what Arcadia decided was safe

It still lines up with info I got when I first started out... I was told to do the gel cap method but it freaked me out. But they said to use a 10,000 iu/kg gel cap and do one drop of it on a feeder once a month. So that would have been even lower then what is in the arcadia correct?

I do love the fact that it is a very low level of D3... I really do not like supplementing with D3 since my UVB lighting is on point. Never made sense to me to supplement with D3 that they don't need because they get it from correct uvb lighting.

Back
Top Bottom