Vines from trees outside SAFE?

Rex305

hey guys, i have read alot here about baking sticks to use in your enclosure, and i noticed there's a huge tree by my home that has long 8ft or longer vines hanging down. I was thinking about cutting some down and using them in my upcoming enclosure.

any do's or dont's i need to know before using them?

should i bake them?

anything i should know??

Thanks again...

yeah, i was already thinking about baking them.

any other tips, tricks, do's or dont's i need to know??

I used some natural vines in my outdoor cages. I didn't treat them at all but I have noticed that they degrade pretty fast once dead and being used for decoration.

I used wild grape vine, I washed it, it looked dead ( I cut it really early in the spring ) but now its GROWING in the viv- its pretty cool I think :) its hard to see in this pic- it has grown alot now- its what is outlined in the white- I did not cut any roots either- just some long twiggy trendrels off the fence :)

Attachments

• grape.JPG
    grape.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 108
I used wild grape vine, I washed it, it looked dead ( I cut it really early in the spring ) but now its GROWING in the viv- its pretty cool I think :) its hard to see in this pic- it has grown alot now- its what is outlined in the white- I did not cut any roots either- just some long twiggy trendrels off the fence :)

That's awesome! I do the same thing with a invasive weed called Japanese Knotweed. I've had a ton of it in my yard I've been trying to get rid of for twenty years. It goes crazy in the enclosures. It is illegal to intentionally propagate in most states though. But it is edible.

I also plant avocado pits in there and they grow into little trees.

what If?

cool, thanks for all the great answers.

also, when u guys say the vines die quickly... lets say I tie the vines into a large circle (kinda like a christmas reef on your door) even if the vine is already dead, it will still be a decent climbing material right? i dont care if the vines are dead, as long as Rex enjoys climbing on it.

what u think?

Dead vines are fine. If they get life on them after they are in the enclosure, it is a bonus. Most of the time they won't but certain times of the year are ripe for transplanting. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom