vieled chameleon size

I have a feeling that if you try this you will find that he eats alot more... make that milk carton feeder dish that was described above and place it in a spot near the basking light (near the top of cage) then, put about 10-15 crickets inside and cover the entire cage with towels so he has complete privacy, then, DO NOT PEEK AT HIM!!!!! Believe it or not some chams are VERY EASILY STRESSED OUT!!! If he feels that you are watching him and it makes him uneasy then no matter what, he will just ignore his appetite. I believe that at some point during the day (perhaps not immediately) he will eat all the crickets!!! You may need to leave the towwels up untill he is older and braver. My male acted exactly the same but I also have a female whom is not afraid of anything! So, I had something to compare his behavior to. I realized much earlier that he was a "sensitive case". When I bagan to cover his cage, not only did he bask more (which keeps that digestion going at a faster pace) but he also began eating more, MUCH MORE! My little guy litterally doubled in size from 5 months to 7 months! And, I believe that yours will too! It's that simple his is just an extra "sensitive case":eek:. Good Luck please PM me in a month with the good news!!!
Lyneeso;)

that actually make sense because i have put 12 crickets in there in a tub 2 days ago and he has only eaten 4 of them and that was yesterday while myself and my husband were at work. ill try the towel thing. i didnt realise that him being so sensative would make him not eat. fingers crossed this works and thank you very much for the tip

Make sure the crickets are gutloaded. If he doesn't eat the crickets in a few hours they will have loss the gutload and will need to be replaced with gutloaded crickets. A crickest without gutload has no nutritional value at all.

Make sure the crickets are gutloaded. If he doesn't eat the crickets in a few hours they will have loss the gutload and will need to be replaced with gutloaded crickets. A crickest without gutload has no nutritional value at all.

How will they 'lose' the gutload? crickets eat and defecate constantly while food is available, therefore if you are offering crickets food inside the enclosure, logically they should be constantly gutloaded, provided a food source is maintained.

A cricket that hasnt eaten in a few hours will be of less nutritional value than one with a full stomach but not much, again provided its been fed a healthy diet. However the cricket will still be nutritious.

who honestly replaces crickets to ensure their stomach is full? lol

I feed my crickets vegatables and fruits and then the night before I'm going to feed them to my chams I put them in the gutload.......similar to the Cricket Crack sold on here. The next morning I feed the chams and any crickets that are not eat before the next misting I remove. If his cham is not gaining any weight I think it would be very important to make sure that when he does eat a feeder that it be properly gutloaded.

Yes use the towwels, you won't regret it! gutloaded crickets or not, he needs lots of em'! (of course gutloading crickets is great)

Lyneeso;)

I agree that he should be eating more - mine (Veiled), born in Oct08 is the full size of my hand - feet on tips of fingers and back legs on my wrist.
He eats about 15-20 mix of locusts and crickets, a full plate of veggies and nibbles bottom half of hanging green grapes (only fruit he likes) per day... i also add a few worms now and again. He'd eat me out of house and home if i let him - Do you try and feed all in sitting?

The Towel idea is perfect though... mine is a little braver, not much but slightly - i'll open the cage and he runs the as soon as the first bug is in the cage he's back in seconds cleaning up... Good luck with the suggestions made - hope he gets his growth spurt soon :D

i do:
AM: Greens and crickets/locusts (aprox 10) (08:30)
if on my lunch break all are gone - few more added (aprox 5).
PM: Worms (5-10 - when i do add) with more crickets (aprox 5) if none in tank - (17:30/18:00)
Clear all live food and greens before lights out. (21:00)

This is a picture from this weekend. He is 4-5 months old and eats about 20
1/2" crickets a day. (He would eat more but that is all I let him eat)
I do not have the "shy" problem. He will pick them off out of the dish while it is still in my hand before it even touches the ground.
April2009_2.jpg

ok , so day 2 of the towel trick and he has only eaten 2 crickets the whole time. i loked after lights out last nite because i know he is always sleeping by the time they are out and he hadnt eaten any. i left them in becuse i didnt not want to disturb him. i have just got back from work and curiosity got the beter of me and e has only eaten 2 crickets. i think hes gone on hunger strike because i had him out to take photos the other day. ill keep going with the towel thing tho and the only time i go near him will be to mist the tank and replace the crickets. typical man being stubborn lol think he takes after my husband he he

in not sure that its the towels i think it may be the tub in his vivarium becuse i know he was eating a little before but since i put the tub in 4 days ago he has eaten 6 crickets and that wasnt that bad to start with. maybe i will have to bury it in the wood chip to hide it. he seems to like to walk down there to find his food. i think thats his way of privacy because i have a lot of foliage at the bottom of the viv

i was just starting to think that my self. is there any medical thing that could be making him not eat or is is some thing i am doing, or are they really fussy enough to not like crickets and eat so little they dont grow. didnt realise these little guys could cause so much frustration lol. i hope he is going to be ok tho other wise ill be tracking down the breeder and shouting for a second time

Usually when they have a medical problem they quit eating. Where do you live? You need to fine a good chameleon vet. Most vets know nothing about chameleons. You don't want to waste your money going to a vet that's not going to be able to help.

to find a vet that specializes in chameleons id have to travel 200 mile but i have a vet in my town that works with my local pet shop for the last 15 years and has a general idea of reptiles so i think i may give them a shot.

is there such a thing as a bad line of chameleons ( like you get in cats and dogs) this is my second chameleon from the same breeder. i was givin this one as a replacement because our first one we had home for 6 weeks and he was not right from the start. he used to do this wierd thing with his eyes then died suddenly. he went from being fine to laying on the ground not supproting him self then turning black and passing away with in 3 hours. the pet shop and breeder couldnt tell me what was wrong with him but did tell me it was not my fault and agreed to replace him and now i get thing. - i know where im not going again!!!!

the phoenix worms i ordered came in the post today and i managed to get gonzo to eat 6 small phoenix orms and 2 wax worm and ive put more in a feeding bowl in his viv. i tried with crickets but he seemed scared of them- he cowered away in a corner when the cricket came near. daft thing lol. i think these crickets take the p*** and climb all over him and he doesnt like it

Back
Top Bottom