Vet trip

Rhea’s mum

Established Member
So Rhea is looking egg bound 😢 I have managed to get her in for an appointment later this afternoon. I'm worried about her now though. I'm hoping that she will be ok.

She has been looking gravid for the past couple of weeks but has shown absolutely no signs of digging or wanting to venture below her basking/uvb spots. On saturday I noticed her shut one eye during the evening when I checked on her - Big red flag. She kept it open all yesterday so I was a little optimistic. But today she has been clinging on to the screen under the basking (almost like she is trying to get the eggs to drop) and is sat for long periods with her eyes shut. I was straight on the phone to the local vet. I'm just hoping that the exotic vet has chameleon experience and I haven't caught it too late.

This is what I was afraid of when I realised she was a female, but thanks to this forum I have learnt to observe her and also know some of the warning signs now so a big thank you to everyone that contributes on here. I will hopefully have an update later and fingers crossed good news 🙏

Thanks all. So the vet did bloods and x-rays on Rhea. The X-ray showed the eggs weren’t calcified yet but she has a lot (which surprised me as I have been following everything to help reduce clutch size.)
Her bloods showed low calcium, was 7 and should be a minimum of 9. Bloods also showed dehydration. These are the parts that are worrying me because I follow the supplement schedule to a T and her urates have been perfect Pearl white so I’m questioning myself what I’m doing wrong.
The vet is giving her a shot of calcium and some fluids and sending her home in the hope that will get her laying in the next 24 hours. If not then they will spay her on weds.

I must be missing something here...if the eggs aren't calcified yet, why would the vet push her to lay them?

If she was calcium deficient, then she needs calcium of course...not only for the eggs but for the muscles needed to push the eggs out.

Were the "eggs" round or oval in the xray?

They didn’t say and we aren’t allowed in at the minute so couldn’t see for myself. They just said that she had a very large clutch in there.

I have to speak with them tomorrow so I will definitely ask the shape and why they are recommending spaying.

To be honest I was worried sick all day and when they phoned it was a bit of a blur so I couldn’t think to ask rational sensible questions

Round "eggs" are follicles and wouldn't be shelled at that point because they have to ovulate...if the shapes in the xray are more oval they are eggs and should have shells even though the shells won't show up very clearly on the X-rays still.

Do you know when she started showing her big girl colors (mustardy/yellow/brownish splotches and blue dots)?

End of Nov she started to tear round her cage and then start of Dec her Colours really 'popped'.
I have been keeping her in the cage and leaving her alone since Xmas as that is when I noticed her starting to plump up slowly. She has been screen 'hanging' under the basking bulb for about a week and half 2 weeks now.

This is her just now after the shot last night her lights have been on now for 3 hours
(Thin bed sheet on sides for privacy for her)
Tail is black just that side from where they took the blood yesterday.
Im speaking with the vet later this afternoon so will see 😔
02F1165E-F7FA-487D-B80B-FB62DB872B4A.jpeg

So quick update.
She had the surgery and is back home. it was follicular stasis. Vet said because she hadn’t eaten for a week it could explain the hypocalcaemia. I’ll attach the X-ray as well that the vet sent her home with. She also showed me the follicles when I picked her up and I understand now why she hadn’t eaten with those in her! I have liquid feed for her and anti inflammatory meds to give her (I know to make sure to put the syringe to the back of the mouth so she doesn’t aspirate). Hopefully now no more issues and she will live a happy healthy life 😊🙏🏻
27E55CCF-0AEB-4276-AD2A-C338F8E4FDE9.jpeg

Oh wow she had surgery?! Do you have a hospital bin set up? If you haven’t already I would get some recovery advice from @jannb. It can be a slippery slope with these little ladies. I hope she recovers well!!

Thanks. She is asleep now (evening here in the uk). I’m liking the fact she wasn’t grumpy but I know that’s just the meds 😂 we have a check up again in 10 days time so I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s smooth sailing from tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom