Vet recommendations

xraygirl

Established Member
I live in South Carolina. The only "reptile" vet near me that EVERYONE raved about is the guy I originally took Chief to when these little spots started to appear all over him. He looked at him for 10 seconds, criticized my husbandry, and said it was fungus and gave me silver cream then charged me $110. After 4 months his spots got worse and started to develop growths. Fast forward to now, I had 6 of them biopsied off by a different vet that folks recommended (who does house calls), but she doesn't have experience with chameleons. She reached out to her vet network asking questions about Chief and how to go about doing his biopsy... (Which went great, no major complications, growths haven't come back on the biopsied spots yet - but they did come back as papilloma)

Now he is having some eye issues. I'm not sure if maybe he has a papilloma growth developing inside of his eye maybe, but he keeps it closed. Showers, eye drops, medicated eye drops... nothing is helping. He still eats and drinks great, no change in weight, but he keeps his right eye shut. He's always been kinda mellow and slow, loved coming out of his cage on his own. Now he kinda just sits still, doesn't move much and just keep that eye shut. I've had him for a little over 2 years now, so he's not new to me or anything.

I'm really hoping that someone near me, either in SC, GA, or NC can recommend a GOOD vet to go to, I'd be willing to make a long trip to get him the help he needs. I don't want to take him just anywhere and have some vet stick him with a needle and hurt him (heard horror stories about that). I'm too paranoid now after my experience with the "best exotic reptile vet" guy.

I wish I knew someone in your neck of the woods to go to. :( I'm sorry Chief is having trouble, I hope he feels better soon.

I wish I knew someone in your neck of the woods to go to. :( I'm sorry Chief is having trouble, I hope he feels better soon.
I really think he has a papilloma growth in the inner part of his eye lid. But he's always kept me nervous as a keeper cause he always does such strange stuff.

I'm not sure what part of SC you're in and where you originally took your guy, but this was listed in the vet thread: http://allpetsasheville.com/ They're located in Asheville, NC.

Found this one on arav.org/find-a-vet/ that is in Mount Pleasant, SC: http://www.birdsandexotics.com/

Good luck!
I've considered going there but I haven't heard any feedback from them in the SC reptile groups I'm in. They're only about an hour and a half away (mt. Pleasant place). And I think I've spoken to the people from the Asheville place as well.
Someone needs to go to school for exotics and come to south Carolina

I've considered going there but I haven't heard any feedback from them in the SC reptile groups I'm in. They're only about an hour and a half away (mt. Pleasant place). And I think I've spoken to the people from the Asheville place as well.
Someone needs to go to school for exotics and come to south Carolina

I hope you figure out something soon. I think I saw some pictures you posted of Chief on one of the chameleon FB groups and he's a very pretty guy, even with his little warts.

I hope you figure out something soon. I think I saw some pictures you posted of Chief on one of the chameleon FB groups and he's a very pretty guy, even with his little warts.
I hope to find someone too, I was literally just talking about it to my bf. I used to post him all the time in the FB groups until the "packs" of newbie experts came along to bash me. Plus, no one "likes" chameleons that have papilloma spots all over them, people only love the truly beautiful chameleons it seems like. So I mainly post pictures of Flash to avoid the bashers.

I have not had health problems with my chameleon where I have had to take him to the vet. I don't think I can help with vet recommendations. I hope he starts feeling better. What are his living conditions?

I hope to find someone too, I was literally just talking about it to my bf. I used to post him all the time in the FB groups until the "packs" of newbie experts came along to bash me. Plus, no one "likes" chameleons that have papilloma spots all over them, people only love the truly beautiful chameleons it seems like. So I mainly post pictures of Flash to avoid the bashers.

I agree with MelissaB, that really is a shame. Your pictures and story might help others that could be dealing with the same thing though. Doesn't seem like it's a very common occurrence.

I have not had health problems with my chameleon where I have had to take him to the vet. I don't think I can help with vet recommendations. I hope he starts feeling better. What are his living conditions?
His living conditions are beyond superb.

I agree with MelissaB, that really is a shame. Your pictures and story might help others that could be dealing with the same thing though. Doesn't seem like it's a very common occurrence.
It really stinks. There are some chams out there that are ate up with this papilloma virus. I hope that my little nugget doesn't ever get that bad. :(

Back
Top Bottom