Vet question

djo2018

I recently posted my very sick baby. Turns out I was given bad advice from online ect. He has a vet appointment with a regular vet who has some knowledge but not like a expert. Can anyone tell me things I should tell him that can help him heal my baby?

I recently posted my very sick baby. Turns out I was given bad advice from online ect. He has a vet appointment with a regular vet who has some knowledge but not like a expert. Can anyone tell me things I should tell him that can help him heal my baby?
In order for us to better help, please don’t post multiple threads, as it gets difficult to keep track. Bring in a fecal for sure. I have no idea what’s ailing your Cham, but the pics make it look malnourished and very dehydrated, so ask your vet if pedialyte is appropriate. Things to ask your vet about his/her qualifications:

1)does S/he have reptile experience
2) does s/he have chameleon experience
3) is s/he familiar with common chameleon ailments and their treatment: nematodes get fenbendazole or pyrantel, flagellated protozoa get metronidazole, Coccidia gets ponazuril or a derivative if at all possible...not sulphas if it can be avoided. Does s/he know what stomatitis is, and how to treat it? Does s/he know about malnutrition and what supplement/gutloading regimes are advisable?
4) does s/he cringe at the use of ‘UPPER respiratory infection’ and why?
5) Is s/he knowledgeable about proper husbandry for your species? E.g. Veileds vs. Jackson’s
6) if no to any/all of the above, is s/he willing to learn and do research?
7) there are probably a million other questions to ask, but you can also tell a lot from what questions they ask you. S/he should ask about cage conditions, supplementation, diet, temperature and uvb exposure. If s/he does not, it might be the case that s/he is not well versed in chameleon care.

In order for us to better help, please don’t post multiple threads, as it gets difficult to keep track. Bring in a fecal for sure. I have no idea what’s ailing your Cham, but the pics make it look malnourished and very dehydrated, so ask your vet if pedialyte is appropriate. Things to ask your vet about his/her qualifications:

1)does S/he have reptile experience
2) does s/he have chameleon experience
3) is s/he familiar with common chameleon ailments and their treatment: nematodes get fenbendazole or pyrantel, flagellated protozoa get metronidazole, Coccidia gets ponazuril or a derivative if at all possible...not sulphas if it can be avoided. Does s/he know what stomatitis is, and how to treat it? Does s/he know about malnutrition and what supplement/gutloading regimes are advisable?
4) does s/he cringe at the use of ‘UPPER respiratory infection’ and why?
5) Is s/he knowledgeable about proper husbandry for your species? E.g. Veileds vs. Jackson’s
6) if no to any/all of the above, is s/he willing to learn and do research?
7) there are probably a million other questions to ask, but you can also tell a lot from what questions they ask you. S/he should ask about cage conditions, supplementation, diet, temperature and uvb exposure. If s/he does not, it might be the case that s/he is not well versed in chameleon care.
I dont have alot of options where I live. The nearest actual exotic vet is 8+ hours away. So the one I found said he has some knowledge but is not a expert. That's why I posted here to find out what I should ask and help him on things since there is no other way for me to get him help

I dont have alot of options where I live. The nearest actual exotic vet is 8+ hours away. So the one I found said he has some knowledge but is not a expert. That's why I posted here to find out what I should ask and help him on things since there is no other way for me to get him help
No worries! A vet who is willing to learn and grow with you can be a valuable asset.

You said fecal test. So should I save the next one he has someway?
Yes! Generally, fecals can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours (airtight; use a sandwich bag or cling wrap) before some of the useful diagnostic material becomes inactive. Get it while it’s still wet, as soon as possible, bag it and refrigerate. The fresher, the better!

Welcome to the forums and I’m sorry to here that your chameleon is not doing well. May I ask where you live? I might be able to find a closer vet with chameleon knowledge.

When is he going to the vets? You don't have much time to get him there. I asked you a bunch of questions in your other thread.

Back
Top Bottom