Very swollen eye

emilily

When I came home from in town I noticed that my female jackson's eye was very very swollen. She had been outside on my hibiscus tree for about an hour earlier in the day and I didn't notice anything wrong with her when I brought her in, which was only about 3 hours ago. The only thing that I can think of that could have happened is maybe she got stung. One of the times I was checking on her, there was a wasp on a nearby leaf that was dying and flailing its legs and she looked like she wanted to eat it, so I knocked it down. Could she have maybe have caught it and tried to eat it and it stung her eye?

If anyone has any ideas on how she could have gotten a swollen eye or suggestions on anything I can do to help her out it would be much appreciated.
I attempted to attach a picture, but I don't know if it worked.

Attachments

• DSCN1242.jpg
    DSCN1242.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 238
That could be a possibility. Did it just swell up suddenly or was she closing it and was it irritating her before it swelled up? Sometimes they will get little particles stuck in the eye or a piece of shed which can cause problems. Usually if this is the case you will see them rubbing on a branch or something cause it is bothering them.

I didn't notice her messing with it or anything, and I didn't notice anything wrong with the eye. I didn't really see her again until about 3 hours later, and thats when I noticed the swelling.

so... the swelling is down a little today. Her eye is only about twice the size as normal and she can open it. She seems to be behaving normally, so it looks like she's going to be ok. I just hope she's not going to be blind in that eye now.

It may be helpful to rinse her eye gently with a stream of " Bausch and Lomb Sensitive Eyes "or "CVS Sensitive Eyes " saline rinse.

I hope she is able to fully close the eye so it doesn't dry out.

Her eye is doing a lot better today. The swelling is down enough that she can actually move her eye around again. I rinsed it with some saline solution last night. I don't know if that helped, or if its just getting better on its own.

Glad she is improving.:)
It may or may not be the saline that is helping but I would continue the gentle eye rinses.
The saline solutions that I mentioned are good in that they contain saline and boric acid--both of which help prevent infection from setting in--plus they are also pH balanced and free of any preservatives that make eyes sting or burn.
The saline rinses also help her to flush out any foreign matter that may have gotten into her eye.

Back
Top Bottom