Very Concerned

20170428_203535.jpg 20170429_151856.jpg 20170428_092440.jpg :Chameleon Info:
    • Your Chameleon - Veield male chameleon, around two or three months old. I've had him for about three weeks
    • Handling - I have only handled him once.
    • Feeding - He gets 10-15 crickets a day. Calcium w/o d3 every feeding, with d3 twice a month, and will get vitamins sometimes. Crickets are gutloaded with grapes, apples, sometimes Fluker's brand cricket food. He also gets wax worms now.
    • Supplements - I have ZooMedReptiCalicum w/o d3, Aqua Culture calcium with d3, and ZooMedReptivite reptile vitamins.
    • Watering - I have an automatic misting system. His cage gets misted about 5 times a day to keep up humidity. I see him drink eachtime I mist.
    • Fecal Description - Firm, the urate is white like it should be. Parasite free
    • History - none

Cage Info:
    • Cage Type - Screen cage that has a shower curtain wrapped around it to keep humidity in. His cage is 16X16X30 until his next one is built. (The shower curtain was aired out for a few days before being put on the cage.
    • Lighting - He has a ZooMed duo dome light. He has a 75W daylight reptile bulb and a 5.0 UVB 13W Reptisun bulb. His lights come on at 9:30 and shuts off at 9:30.
    • Temperature - His basking spot is around 85 degrees F, and the rest of his cage is around 70, lower than 70 near the bottom of the cage.
    • Humidity - The humidity can range from 40 degrees to 85 degrees. After the misting happens, the humidity jumps. It's easier to control with the help of the shower curtain, but sometimes it gets a little high.
    • Plants - So far I only have fake plants, but I'm going to be getting real plants soon. Any suggestions on what kinds?
    • Placement - The cage is in my room near the door. From the hours of 12-6:30 during weekdays he's left alone but is checked on here and there during those hours. He will be moved away from the door once his new cage is built. He's about two feet off of the ground, and I know that he should be higher.
    • Location - Wisconsin

• Current problem: All he does is sit in one spot and sleep. I have to actually lift him up to wake him. He hasn't eaten anything today. Yesterday he ate maybe 7 crickets and 3 wax worms. He threw up the wax worms today. The vet said that he's perfectly healthy, but there's obviously a problem. He does nothing but sit and sleep and I fear that I'm losing him. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. He's not eating, he not drinking, he's not interested in any food that I try to offer him. I read that closing eyes and sleeping during the day can be signs of MBD, but he doesn't show other signs. I'm jusr sad and frustrated. This has been going on for a week or so. It started when he started to shed and it hasn't stopped. I've continuesly reached put to the vet, but they kept telling me that he's fine and it's nothing to worry about.
I'll attach a few pictures.

wow this is very strange. your taking good care of him, and i cant think of any reasons for him to do this. when do his lights go out?

I've also noticed him itching his eye with his back leg more recently. Just yesterday he had a leftover piece of shed by his eye, now it's gone. But the eye seems watery. I just picked him up and he was rubbing his eye against my finger. It was really strange and weird. I misted over him, not directly on him to try and dislodge anything that could be in his eye.

I've also noticed him itching his eye with his back leg more recently. Just yesterday he had a leftover piece of shed by his eye, now it's gone. But the eye seems watery. I just picked him up and he was rubbing his eye against my finger. It was really strange and weird. I misted over him, not directly on him to try and dislodge anything that could be in his eye.
probably some stuck shed. they rub their eyes on things to get shed off. Good Luck!

my guy wakes up at 7 goes to bed at 7. I can GUARANTEE you that he is waking up at 6:30-7 then not having a place to bask or what not. I have my mister set to go off an hour after the lights turn on so he has a chance to warm up. By 6:30-7 he is most likely wiped and wanting to go to sleep. Hopefully that helps and he starts feeling better soon:)

my guy wakes up at 7 goes to bed at 7. I can GUARANTEE you that he is waking up at 6:30-7 then not having a place to bask or what not. I have my mister set to go off an hour after the lights turn on so he has a chance to warm up. By 6:30-7 he is most likely wiped and wanting to go to sleep. Hopefully that helps and he starts feeling better soon:)
I've checked and 98% of the time he's asleep until his light comes on. There is absolutely no light in his room until his light comes on. But if he needs me to change his light schedule, then I will!

He looks dehydrated. Increase his misting. Try to keep his humidity around 90%. You really can't get it too high, especially when you have an animal that looks dehydrated. (Deep rings around his eyes, skin "tight" around his pelvis/base of tail.)

I don't know what is going on, but he does not look good to me. In general, even good vets can't recognize a sick chameleon unless they are really really sick. They puff up and act really strong for the vet.

If he were mine, I would take his cage outside in natural sunlight light and run a mister from my hose on him for several hours. Sometimes they get really lethargic in low light situations. I'd be careful about the temps, of course.

Back
Top Bottom