very bothersome! i want to save him! help?!

azula

So i was browsing at one of our three petstores here. And i happened across a chameleon. The habitat horrified me! The poor thing was being kept in a glass fish bowl! Ya not an aquarium but a bowl! It had no room to move and had no lights whatsoever. I asked the lady why it wasn't in a bigger habitat and she said they didn't usually deal with reptiles just fluffy animals.! I really wishi would have gotten angry with the store.... but im shy. So instead i asked her how much they wanted for him. She said 90 which is fine i can buy him and give him a way better home. But the question is i don't know what kind it is. The lady didn't know and im not positive. It looks like a flapneck maybe? And they wont let me take pictures until i buy it. All in all im very angry at this petstore they are very mean and i just want this cute guy to be saved before its too late. Any advice will help! He looked fine for now not dehydrated or sick from the looks of it. He was green and looked like a veiled except he didn't have a veil it was like a veiled head but it was flat against its head...? Sorry kinda a bad description. Any ideas or advice?

Possibly a flapneck?
My advice is unless your ready for an unfamiliar species, dont buy it.
This is very common, sad, but very common.
A freind of mine in Maine told me he once bought a lizard (sand swimmer) from a store there, and the attendant put the lizard in a ziplock plastic bag!
He went spare and had her return the lizard to its display tank while he purchased a suitable container elsewhere, then went back for it. This demonstrates how little some stores know about the creatures they sell. :(

Last edited:
WOW!!!! Thats Horrable! A Ziplock Plastic BAG!!!! Is that person crazy?!

Possibly a flapneck?
My advice is unless your ready for an unfamiliar species, dont buy it.
This is very common, sad, but very common.
A freind of mine in Maine told me he once bought a lizard (sand swimmer) from a store there, and the attendant put the lizard in a ziplock plastic bag!
He went spare and had her return the lizard to its display tank while he purchased a suitable container elsewhere, then went back for it. This demonstrates how little some stores know about the creatures they sell. :(

Ya.... i've been wrestling with it all night. I hate the thought that he is sitting at the store in a bowl! Its so sad! I almost want to give the store one of my extra uvb and basking lamps and an extra terrarium.... but then id feel like i was enabling the petstore... even worse is i live in hickville and i know im one of the only chameleon lovers here... the petstore i buy my crockets from tells me all the time im there only business for crickets... so the chances that poor little guy get sold to someone who knows what th ere doing is slim.. sighpoor chameleon....

Not crazy, just rather ignorant. Probably quite good with goldfish...maybe. :D

Azula, if you must buy it, despite not having knowledge of the species, this forum will ofcourse support you
and give you all the information you will need.
Just be sure that you afford the equipment needed aswell as the lizard.
Best wishes :)

I would purchase that poor guy! get him out of there or he will die. post some pics of him as soon as you buy him and you'll get the information that you need for his care. as long as you have a spare cage, UVB bulb, Basking bulb, and some vines and a real plant to put in the cage he will be fine.( or way better than in a fish bowl).:mad:

Not crazy, just rather ignorant. Probably quite good with goldfish...maybe. :D

Azula, if you must buy it, despite not having knowledge of the species, this forum will ofcourse support you
and give you all the information you will need.
Just be sure that you afford the equipment needed aswell as the lizard.
Best wishes :)

sorry i did not see this post!:D i basically just repeated you. lol

I knew you guys would help! I have lots of extra lights and plants. ( im addicted to checking classifieds ads every ten minutes :D) and on thursday im picking up a three foot high mesh cage.... will that work? Will that be too big? I have a smaller 18 ' 24'20 mesh cage too if that sounds better. Ill go tomorow and then post pictures so we can know for sure. I held him today and he turned bright yellows and wasn't scared at all.... i hope that's a good thing... yay! Maybe now i can sleep knowing he's gonna be okay!

azula, only you can decide what's worse, supporting the store bringing in chameleons they can't care for or not saving the chameleon you see in front of you.

I guess I would lean toward saving the chameleon in front of me if I had the resources to do so, but I completely understand the other side of the argument.

If you do decide to bring it home, don't worry about what kind it is at first. You know the basics so do that. Err on the side of cool and humid...

It will be a huge improvement over what the animal has now.

Then, post a picture and get the specifics narrowed down.

Did you get him? I sure hope so for his/ her sake. I'd buy him then after you get him school up that store on proper care!

Ya i did! He's a graceful that im guessing is about 5 months or so. He looks fine and is really friendly! The top of his head is kinda grey though... no sign s of mbd which is good. he really hates being in his cage every time i try to put him in there he crawls right back up my hand and into my hair and just sits there. He's so cute. I've decided to name him achilles since he's ther perfect chameleon all except his fear of small spaces due to his pervious home :). I've been on the computer all day researching gracefuls and im very optomistic about him! His fecal test is at the vet and everything seems to be doing fine. He's a sweetheart and i already would feel lost without him. When i get on time i will post some pics of him.

Happy Cham owner day!!! The little guy will be thrilled to be away from that store. He is going to be such a happy, lucky guy. Congratulations to you both.:):):)

Thank you all! Im just glad i can be part of helping one chameleon out of all that are being uncared for... pay it forward!

Ya i did! He's a graceful that im guessing is about 5 months or so. He looks fine and is really friendly! The top of his head is kinda grey though... no sign s of mbd which is good. he really hates being in his cage every time i try to put him in there he crawls right back up my hand and into my hair and just sits there. He's so cute. I've decided to name him achilles since he's ther perfect chameleon all except his fear of small spaces due to his pervious home :). I've been on the computer all day researching gracefuls and im very optomistic about him! His fecal test is at the vet and everything seems to be doing fine. He's a sweetheart and i already would feel lost without him. When i get on time i will post some pics of him.

Awweee Congrats... so happy for you & him both. :D:D:D. Now you need to post pics ;) BTW Love his name!

Ill post pics as soon as he wakes up! :(:(:( i hate that he has to sleep.... now i have nothing to obsess about.... :((((

Back
Top Bottom