Verrucosus Female Is Laying!!

Chase

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello all!
Well I am happy to say my female verrucosus is now digging her hole, and is preparing to lay her clutch of eggs. She has a decent clutch, anyone want to guess the number of eggs? :D:D Maybe we can get a game going?? :D

Anyway I had a question- When I take the eggs out to put them on the vermiculite or perlite, do I put them on it how they were laying, or should I candle them to see where the embryo is to make sure it is on top?

Thanks,
LPR08

Hello all!
Well I am happy to say my female verrucosus is now digging her hole, and is preparing to lay her clutch of eggs. She has a decent clutch, anyone want to guess the number of eggs? :D:D Maybe we can get a game going?? :D

Anyway I had a question- When I take the eggs out to put them on the vermiculite or perlite, do I put them on it how they were laying, or should I candle them to see where the embryo is to make sure it is on top?

Thanks,
LPR08

Whenever I take eggs out of a hole I try to put them back into the position they were laid in or at least close. I also bury them mostly into the vermiculite where only the top of the eggs are showing. A little more than 3/4 of the way in.

Hope all goes well with the laying and you get some nice fertile eggs!!

Congratulations! Since the eggs are freshly layed they can handle being moved a bit. I would place them evenly through out the incubation container. As before embryo growth happens you can adjust the eggs to fit evenly in the incubation container.

Verrucosus eggs require from my experience a diapause.

Last edited:
Whenever I take eggs out of a hole I try to put them back into the position they were laid in or at least close. I also bury them mostly into the vermiculite where only the top of the eggs are showing. A little more than 3/4 of the way in.

Hope all goes well with the laying and you get some nice fertile eggs!!

What kind of perlite or vermiculite should I use? The perlite that is available around here is Miracle Grow, but I don't know if it is safe. Here is the link

Oh- Nice to see you changed your signature :D; And you didn't guess :p

http://www.lowes.com/pd_156581-446-...rlite&Ntt=perlite&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151

What kind of perlite or vermiculite should I use? The perlite that is available around here is Miracle Grow, but I don't know if it is safe. Here is the link

Oh- Nice to see you changed your signature :D; And you didn't guess :p

http://www.lowes.com/pd_156581-446-...rlite&Ntt=perlite&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151

Yeah, I guess it was time to change the sig:eek:

Ive never used perlite. Always used vermiculite just because that is what I started using and it works for me. I just use any type of coarse grade I can find. The manufacturer doesnt matter.

24 eggs:)

Congrats on the eggs-very exciting! However-you should have had your incubating substrate already purchased by now. Do NOT use the Miracle Gro Perlite or Vermiculite. Once I did manage to find non-Miracle Gro vermiculite at one of the box stores. Now I order the chunkier stuff from LLL.

I do have vermiculite but I have an issue. It is kinda old, and when I bred bearded dragons, it was on the ground, in an incubator, and my house gets sprayed to prevent bug infestations, and don't know if that will harm the eggs, and completely forgot about that issue, it has been maybe two or three months since it has been around it.

I do have vermiculite but I have an issue. It is kinda old, and when I bred bearded dragons, it was on the ground, in an incubator, and my house gets sprayed to prevent bug infestations, and don't know if that will harm the eggs, and completely forgot about that issue, it has been maybe two or three months since it has been around it.

Yeah-I would not use that either. Shop around a bit and see what you can find. But it sounds like you need it sooner than later.

Orientation of the eggs seems unimportant when first laid. Big Apple sells the chunky stuff (large grained vermiculite) and ship fast usually. Just keep the eggs in a sealed container in the laying medium until it arrives.

Hoping for a nice healthy clutch!

Kevin

Thanks. LLLReptile has some too. For about 4 dollars, don't know shipping methods yet, I'd like it ASAP though.

Kevin- Do you still want me to pick up that quad?

Do not use perlite or vermiculite with fertilizer in it.

I recently had trouble finding the pure stuff locally but was able to order pure perlite in bulk pretty cheaply from homedepot.com.

Laurie,

I love that guy! I want to pay you back with a baby quad-preferably his baby ;) Working on a girl for him now.

Kevin

Congrats on the eggs-very exciting! However-you should have had your incubating substrate already purchased by now. Do NOT use the Miracle Gro Perlite or Vermiculite. Once I did manage to find non-Miracle Gro vermiculite at one of the box stores. Now I order the chunkier stuff from LLL.

I didnt even think about Miracle Gro and fertilizers. I bought a huge bag of vermiculite years ago from a nursery and havent had to shop for it since. Definitely make sure it doesnt have fertilizer!! But Im sure you already know that;)

Whats the egg count? Do me and Laurie get to keep guessing until one of us gets it right:)

Hope everything came out ok!!

As of this morning she was still digging. She is digging a funky tunnel! I assume she'll be done soon but I will update y'all as soon I know she is done. I will put it up by 4- I promise :)

Well I have the final count. If y'all want to keep guessig go for it. Maybe the winner will get a free baby if they get close enough, or right on :)

Have fun!
LPR08

Back
Top Bottom