Venturing into Pygmys Next...

m1ndless

Once I move my 2 month old veiled into a larger enclosure out his glass enclosure, I plan to use it to hold 2-3 pygmys.

I have been reading articles and such, but I still have a few questions before I buy them, I would rather be prepared for everything than have a sick chameleon.

What are the best types of pygmys to get if I wanted to get 2-3 in my tank? I want to get 2 females and 1 male, or just 1 female possibly, how often do they mate? Can they both be in there at the same time?

My tank is 30HX24LX12W is that suitable for 3 pygmys? I believe it is ~37 gallons.

I dont exactly what the hydrotron (sp?) pebbles are for, it said drainage, but I dont get how it drains if I have a glass bottom? Does it just let the water drain there to evaporate or what? Is that 100% necessary to have?

What type of soil do I use for the substurate? According to the chameleon news site, you need it but I thought it was taboo in the chameleon community?

A Reptisun 5.0 is needed of course, right?

What about basking? Do they need a basking spot? My room is always ~65 at night and ~75 during the day, we dont use heat or anything cause its arizona! :

I read that Brevs are typically the best cause they are more active, is that right?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks..

Last edited:
Once I move my 2 month old veiled into a larger enclosure out his glass enclosure, I plan to use it to hold 2-3 pygmys.

I have been reading articles and such, but I still have a few questions before I buy them, I would rather be prepared for everything than have a sick chameleon.

What are the best types of pygmys to get if I wanted to get 2-3 in my tank? I want to get 2 females and 1 male, or just 1 female possibly, how often do they mate? Can they both be in there at the same time?

My tank is 30HX24LX12W is that suitable for 3 pygmys? I believe it is ~37 gallons.

I dont exactly what the hydrotron (sp?) pebbles are for, it said drainage, but I dont get how it drains if I have a glass bottom? Does it just let the water drain there to evaporate or what? Is that 100% necessary to have?

What type of soil do I use for the substurate? According to the chameleon news site, you need it but I thought it was taboo in the chameleon community?

A Reptisun 5.0 is needed of course, right?

What about basking? Do they need a basking spot? My room is always ~65 at night and ~75 during the day, we dont use heat or anything cause its arizona! :D

Anything else I should know?

Thanks..

Drainage is 100% necessary.
Hydroton absorbs moisture ... broken terra cotta pot pieces work as well.
Pygmies are different ...they need substrate
no basking spot
Old 5.0 is fine ...or 2.0.

-Brad

37 gallons would be plenty of space for 3 pygmys, for substrate i use the coconut fiber stuff and make sure to have lots of hiding spots for them, and theres no need for a basking spot, i keep my cage around 70-72 in the daytime but if you want a real care sheet go to flchams and they have a good one

Awesome!

Would 1 Male and 2 Females be alright? How often should I expect them to mate? Do they just lay the eggs in the substuate or will I need a pot in there with sand or something?

I cant fint and Cb pygmys, should I get a WC or keep looking?

im not sure on how often they mate because i have 2 males but i would think they would just lay right in the substrate but getting WC's or CB's is a personal preference, i would try to find some CB's but you can do whatever you want

Do I need to be worried about parasites with WC chams though? I am thinking I am going to get 1.2.

Are bearded pygmys a good breed? I found some on the kingsnake forum, a guy was offering 1.3 for 105 shipped.

I don't have any pygmy's, but done a little research. I understand that you can just leave the eggs where they are and they'll hatch. I think they have about 1-2 eggs at time. That's part of the reason it's hard to find CB.

If I do get some, they'll have to be CB. I know WC from a reputable breeder is probably safe, I just have some personal feelings about collecting animals in their natural habitat and shipping them to the other side of the world.

Also, try a search on the forum of pygmys. I know a while back there was a thread with extensive discussion on setting up their habitat.

Tbanks! I found a breeder on kingsnake that will sell me 1.2 for $75 shipped. Now I just need to wait til my veiled is a little b bigger to get these!

I found some WC Brevs from Reptile Depot for $16.99 each, that seems like an amazing price, but he has some cb brevs and spectrums, are those a better buy, or will I be okay with WC?

I am going to buy 1.1 or 1.2.

WC might be O.K. Fl Chams has them for $15 a piece. But he is getting some soon so maybe you can save a bit of money. If you find CB its your desision because you have to pay more, but you don't have to worry about parasites.

Back
Top Bottom