veiled wont eat fruit/veggies

kaleymorgan

My veiled is about 2-3 months old and doing great. I feed him crickets, wax worms, horn worms, and meal worms. He tends to only eat live prey crawling around but is there any way I can get him to eat fruit or some leafy greens? I have put fruit and greens in his tank and tried to hand feed (he refuses to be hand fed) before but they just soil. Is there anything I can do to make him eat something that isn't crawling?

My veiled is about 2-3 months old and doing great. I feed him crickets, wax worms, horn worms, and meal worms. He tends to only eat live prey crawling around but is there any way I can get him to eat fruit or some leafy greens? I have put fruit and greens in his tank and tried to hand feed (he refuses to be hand fed) before but they just soil. Is there anything I can do to make him eat something that isn't crawling?
You are actually not supposed to feed them fruits and veggies as it dosent do anything for them. Veiled chameleons will sometimes eat leaves from their enclosure, however you should only be feeding live bugs. Mealworms are not really recommended (high in chitin and close to no nutritional content) and wax worms are only treat feeders as they are basically all fat. you can feed gutloaded dubia roaches, discoid roaches, crickets, occasional super worms, occasional hornworms, flies, moths, etc. the staple should be something that will gutload pretty well, like roaches or crickets.

Also mealworms are not recommended for chameleons.
Mealworms are not really recommended (high in chitin and close to no nutritional content)
I'd check out this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-insects-enhanced-diets-during-growth.178025/
particularly the study cited in the OP.

As...
It does appear that properly fed mealworms may not be the root of all evil they’re made out to be.
I think the differences noted in each bug emphasizes the need to offer as varied a diet as possible

Back
Top Bottom