Veiled with swollen eyes

Mikkeahh

Has anyone been able to successfully treat a condition that looks like this with their veiled? She's 6 month old. Have been to the vet 3 times about this. First time we treated her with Ciprofloxacin drops 2 times a day both eyes until we ran out. Second time we were told to use Cipro drops in her eyes 2 times a day and also give her Enrofloxacin liquid meds once a day. We injected this into her Dubia roaches.
She has all the right lights, a mister, gets Reptivite once every 2 weeks, ReptiCalcium dusted on Dubias daily. Aside from they eyes she's in great shape according to both vets we have taken her to. The 2nd vet said they only way to correct may be with surgery but really hate to have to do this to her. Any thoughts? Camilla (1 of 7).JPG Camilla (7 of 7).JPG

He's thinking there may possibly be an infection. But given that reptile pis is hard, when you push her eyes in, the swollen area goes away for a few minutes. It returns though. Definitely not looking at surgery is an option right now.

To clean out an infection for a reptile like in Chameleon eyes it usually doesn't require surgery. That's a little extremely. It does require flushing and cleaning out of the pus. But surgery is usually unnecessary. She should of had that done at the first vet you visited o_O I am surprised all they did was give drops... that's odd. Usually after the eyes are cleaned out a good vet will prescribe an antibiotic for a bit just to make just it doesn't come back.

This is one of the problems I have no real answer to. I've never had it happen to one of my chameleons except for a couple of times. In one case the chameleon only had one eye swollen and it was the whole turret and hug and was cancer. Another time it was one eye and was a parasite that ended up where it shouldn't have been.

Here's a site that won't really help but you might like to read it...especially the comments about the surgery...
http://avetsguidetolife.blogspot.ca/2013/01/bulging-chameleon-eyes.html

Has the vet checked to see if the tear duct is plugged?

Sorry I can't be more help.

I don't think he has checked the tear duct. He used a headset with a magnifying lens and light to make sure there were no injuries to her eyes. Fecal test for parasites and there were none. He's emailing the pictures of her around to other vets to see if they can figure something out. And I'll ask him about tear ducts. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is one of the problems I have no real answer to. I've never had it happen to one of my chameleons except for a couple of times. In one case the chameleon only had one eye swollen and it was the whole turret and hug and was cancer. Another time it was one eye and was a parasite that ended up where it shouldn't have been.

Here's a site that won't really help but you might like to read it...especially the comments about the surgery...
http://avetsguidetolife.blogspot.ca/2013/01/bulging-chameleon-eyes.html

Has the vet checked to see if the tear duct is plugged?

Sorry I can't be more help.

I definitely agree if it's something more worrisome like cancer or a parasite then likely it would be a call for surgery. But usually the first thing my vet does is flush my chameleons eyes if there are any issues with eyes. That's because it is slightly stressful, but it's also completely non-invasive and doesn't require medications for putting a chameleon under. In fact if I ever take my chameleons in for like a check up just to see how they are doing (I usually do it once a year as they get older and are showing signs of age in general) or if they are having other problems of some sort. She will flush their eyes anyway. It's always good to make sure there isn't any crud in their eyes. My chameleons rarely have issues with shed in their eyes and none of them have had infections. Though Ryker is mostly blind now, and we are a little unsure of why. I am working on it with her consulting. But sometimes even if they are showing symptoms of irritations in their eyes if you flush them there will still be small pieces of shed or something that come out. It's always good to do whenever you go into a vet in my opinion.

Has anyone been able to successfully treat a condition that looks like this with their veiled? She's 6 month old. Have been to the vet 3 times about this. First time we treated her with Ciprofloxacin drops 2 times a day both eyes until we ran out. Second time we were told to use Cipro drops in her eyes 2 times a day and also give her Enrofloxacin liquid meds once a day. We injected this into her Dubia roaches.
She has all the right lights, a mister, gets Reptivite once every 2 weeks, ReptiCalcium dusted on Dubias daily. Aside from they eyes she's in great shape according to both vets we have taken her to. The 2nd vet said they only way to correct may be with surgery but really hate to have to do this to her. Any thoughts?View attachment 177292 View attachment 177293
Hi!
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your chameleon? My chameleon has the same problem. I've been to the vet twice now and can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

Photo please.
The first photo is what it looked like yesterday. The second photo is it on a normal day. She does have medicine, but I fear she may be allergic as this happened a few weeks back and I stopped the medicine for a few days (vet recommended) then restarted. Her eye swelled again so I’m taking another break and she’s going to the Vet on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 6CA6FDCE-6B4F-4EBB-B043-390C639BF29F.jpeg
    6CA6FDCE-6B4F-4EBB-B043-390C639BF29F.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 243
  • A9F72930-0F73-498A-86C7-A5EE200978F2.jpeg
    A9F72930-0F73-498A-86C7-A5EE200978F2.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 248
The first photo is what it looked like yesterday. The second photo is it on a normal day. She does have medicine, but I fear she may be allergic as this happened a few weeks back and I stopped the medicine for a few days (vet recommended) then restarted. Her eye swelled again so I’m taking another break and she’s going to the Vet on Tuesday.
You might do your own thread so we can do a husbandry review. Looks like she is in a chameleon kit with the incorrect UVB lighting. It would be good to check everything so we can rule out issues.

You might do your own thread so we can do a husbandry review. Looks like she is in a chameleon kit with the incorrect UVB lighting. It would be good to check everything so we can rule out issues.
I can do that! I assume I need to change to the long hood styled UVB? I can’t remember the name right now but the tube lights instead of the lamp

I can do that! I assume I need to change to the long hood styled UVB? I can’t remember the name right now but the tube lights instead of the lamp
Yes you do. The compact lights are incredibly bad for them. These cause MBD along with many other health issues. But also your using exo terra jungle vines... The black ones have a surface that pieces come off of. If they rub on them they can get chunks stuck in their eyes.
But start your own thread and I will put the form into it for you to fill out.

Yes you do. The compact lights are incredibly bad for them. These cause MBD along with many other health issues. But also your using exo terra jungle vines... The black ones have a surface that pieces come off of. If they rub on them they can get chunks stuck in their eyes.
But start your own thread and I will put the form into it for you to fill out.
Where do I go to start my own thread? Also, where do I find the thing for the dimensions and stuff? I’ve never posted before, sorry!

Where do I go to start my own thread? Also, where do I find the thing for the dimensions and stuff? I’ve never posted before, sorry!
Your fine it is a learning curve navigating the site. It is easier from a computer then a phone to do this. Go here https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/health-clinic.7/
Click post thread. Fill out the title and subject. Add pics of your chameleon and the entire cage lighting down. Then I will add the help form when I see it come up in the forum. You will want to be very detailed in your responses so you get the most feedback possible.

Your fine it is a learning curve navigating the site. It is easier from a computer then a phone to do this. Go here https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/health-clinic.7/
Click post thread. Fill out the title and subject. Add pics of your chameleon and the entire cage lighting down. Then I will add the help form when I see it come up in the forum. You will want to be very detailed in your responses so you get the most feedback possible.
Okay, thank you! I’ll reply when it’s up!!

It's up, I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom