Veiled trash can laying

dj special k

Okay so I posted this in the wrong section. This is copied from my post on Enclosures and Supplies, So if you've read this already from there sorry. But someone suggested me post this here to get more replies and I totally forgot about this section of the forum. So here it is...

I have a female veiled that looks like she's searching for a digging site. I doubt she has fertile eggs and that she might have infertile ones. I tried breeding her with my male which went kinda all wrong (He was way too big for her... and this being my first time breeding, the reptile store told me it's okay for him to be bigger than she is.). Stupid mistake because He was trying to mount her and he was so big that after a while, he gave up and went to sleep. End of that story.
Then my female had an early stage of MBD which she's gotten over and well for more than 3 or 4 months now. Now she's showing slight gravid colors. So I put in a big container for her to dig, but I don't know if it's big enough because I've heard people using trash cans. My container is approximately 1.5"x1"x1deep" filled with sand & perlite mix. I was thinking about using sand and soil but the sand seems to hold moisture well enough for a tunnell. She's dug 2 test holes now and I wanted to know how do you set up a trash can set up?

I have a few questions:

1.) How big does the trash can need to be?

2.) How long would I keep her in there?

3.) Would I need to give her lighting, heat lamp, food, etc...

4.) How and when would I have to keep her in there? Because her cage is rather small. Her cage is 21"x13"x19" (lxwxh). How long or when would i know if anything was laid?

I use a 65 liter rubbermaid container. I fill it about half full of moistened washed play sand. I add a branch for her to climb on. I cut a large hole in the lid and put screen over it. I place the lid back on the container once I put the female inside. I add a light over the screen on the lid. Don't forget that this is an enclosed space so be careful not to overheat it. The female can be watered by misting the sides of the container and if she's in there for several days she can be fed too. Just don't leave any uneaten insects in there. Do not let her see you watching her when she is digging or she may abandon the hole.

Once she has laid the eggs, let her bury them completely and go back up to the branches before you dig them up.

Good luck with her!

Back
Top Bottom